Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Clocks on the 1950 webcams appear to be all over the place - although the dates are right!

Check the mainstreet one for the 'right time' - not on the overlay, but from the village clock in the picture Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Russeh, your first ski trip??? Ace. I love skiing now. My wife got me into it about 5 yrs ago - never thought of it before, but so beats the beach holidays (love those too though). The atmosphere, the smell of open fires at the top of the mountains, the SNOW! You will love it. Its out first time to Les Arcs - everyone I speak to raves about it saying they have been year after year (I have bever been to a resort more than once) so it must be good for people to go back each year. They have loads of "off slope" things too - an ice cavern, air bag to jump onto, bobsleigh in nearby La Plagne. Seripously cant wait, and made up now I have seen the snow forecast for this week! Hope you have a good time. Keep an eye out on the this website when you get back, as I will upload the ski videos a week or 2 later
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not much , but it's a start...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford wrote:
Russeh, your first ski trip??? Ace. I love skiing now. My wife got me into it about 5 yrs ago - never thought of it before, but so beats the beach holidays (love those too though). The atmosphere, the smell of open fires at the top of the mountains, the SNOW! You will love it. Its out first time to Les Arcs - everyone I speak to raves about it saying they have been year after year (I have bever been to a resort more than once) so it must be good for people to go back each year. They have loads of "off slope" things too - an ice cavern, air bag to jump onto, bobsleigh in nearby La Plagne. Seripously cant wait, and made up now I have seen the snow forecast for this week! Hope you have a good time. Keep an eye out on the this website when you get back, as I will upload the ski videos a week or 2 later

snowHead yeah those were the reasons i picked Les Arcs for our first one, loads of good reviews, non-ski stuff to do and loads of blue runs that should be good for our level at the moment. Its a great sport is skiing, we caught the bug just out of chance really. We went to scotland in march and randomly decided to go to the nevis range where we had a couple of hours of lessons, LOVED IT. WE've had several hours of lessons since then at xscape which is only 15 mins away from us which is handy. looking forward to getting on a real mountune though Very Happy

Will keep an eye out for those Videos Jon, what camera do you use is it one of those GoPro things?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today's weather update. Although there has been some snow overnight, it is still only a dusting coming down towards the valley and it is quite wet.

HOWEVER higher up in the resort stations there seems to be a few cm's now with more to come forecast for the next few days. At the top this should start to give a base that is needed to allow at least a few pistes to be prepared for the opening weekend. We must just keep our fingers crossed that it now stays cold.

Take a look at the webcams listed in an earlier post. It is at least starting to look white around the mountains now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like rain on the webcams? rolling eyes

Just hope tonight brings the forecasted snow and more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got all excited when i saw the cams earlier, despite still having 54 days and 14 minutes before i set off for the Alps (who's counting??)..

Optimistic about the forecast for the next few days, will look forward to your upates snowcrazy, Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russeh, Ive got a Muvi HD Pro (was half the price of the Go Pro) - coudnt justify getting the Go Pro at £300. Mine was still £150 but isnt as good, but still V good (films in 1080 quality etc)
Cant wait to get filming now
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting better...

1950 morning of Monday 5th - and look: it's still snowing!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowHead Panic over. With more predicted reasonable snowfalls and importantly a low freezing level, I think next week is going to be a good one.

The predicted temperatures are bone chilling though, which I will take if thats the case as it mean it won't all disappear.

See: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/bot
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A snow/weather report for today: The bad weather has continued today with overcast skies and some light snow showers, but also sunny spells according to reports I have received from those up on the mountains preparing for the opening next weekend.

The snow line is currently around 1400m -1600m, but with changing temperatures we shall have to wait and see what the next few days bring. More snow is forecast which should help consolidate the 4 - 6 cm's that have fallen in the last few days at resort level with slightly more higher up as long as it remains cold.

If these current conditions continue for the whole week, it should allow a limited opening for the first week, but a great deal more snow is still needed to open all areas. Keep up the snow dance folks. Only 5 days to go snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1950 is looking Christmassy on the cams, please keep the snow coming

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 5-12-11 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ooops, a big bigger than I anticipated. The sight of white has gone to my head

Edit: Re-sized now
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So.. La neige est arrivée ..... Well TFFT! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even the news channels are reporting it: TF1 today at lunchtime

http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-13h/la-neige-est-enfin-arrivee-aux-arcs-6858094.html

Arc-ies: spot your lifts!

(PS got a video in Firefox but not Chrome... go figure)

edit: they've archived the footage: it's now at

http://www.wat.tv/video/neige-est-enfin-arrivee-aux-arcs-4l7gz_2eyxv_.html

AR

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 6-12-11 1:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

1950 is looking Christmassy on the cams, please keep the snow coming

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And can you stop people walking on it please, it is ruining the effect.
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, well spotted, great video, saw my mate on tv as well. Reckon there was more than 4 - 6 cm's. More like 10cm's. I hope it is still snowing tonight. Bit of a scope for you to get them filming that in Les Arcs rather than Val d'Isere or Tignes. Starting to look better for the Film Festival next week, but they still need a lot more. Did you see all the bushes coming through at the back of the shoots.
latest report
Things looking much better. Phew Cool
snow report
Snowing in BSTM.
ski holidays
Quote:

Starting to look better for the Film Festival next week, but they still need a lot more. Did you see all the bushes coming through at the back of the shoots.

What sort of film festival is it Chris????
ski holidays
skichampcouk,

http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com/2011/home/
ski holidays
Been bored at work and glued to the webcams and its still snoing heavy at 1950.
ski holidays
Well what can I report today. SNOW !! SNOW and more SNOW!! Laughing Laughing

Think that is really all I need to say. As I drove up the valley, from Moutiers onwards there was sleet and then after coming through the tunnel into the valley before the la Plagne turnoff real snow flakes were falling. By the time I past through Bourg there was snow everywhere and when I reached home the snow was starting to settle on the road and outside now it must be at least 10cm or more. Up on the mountain there must be a great deal. I had one email saying they have had 20+ cm at Arc 2000. I hope so! The road to Arc 2000 is now closed due to avalanche risk until tomorrow according to a police warning sign and chains are needed to get up the mountain tonight or the police are likely to stop you. Crying or Very sad

If you want to see a few pics of the valley at least, I will upload them in a little while to my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Link below. Tomorrow I will get out on the hill. If it stays cold we are in for some great skiing this weekend. Finally the snow gods have responded to all the 'snow dancing!!' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
Finally the snow gods have responded to all the 'snow dancing!!' Toofy Grin

As if they wouldn't... seriously thinking about a 'sneaky week' now....
snow report
allanm, nah it'll all be wet snow and melt because the ground is still warm and then it'll be all icy patches because it's Les Arcs Toofy Grin
oops, no that was April wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, just because your jealous Twisted Evil I will post some pics tomorrow of the amazing untracked powder I am going to find Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, stay over the other side of the valley you wink
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
Even the news channels are reporting it: TF1 today at lunchtime

http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-13h/la-neige-est-enfin-arrivee-aux-arcs-6858094.html

Arc-ies: spot your lifts!

Nice x-post from their Fbook page..

certainly marmottes and bois de l'ours..

was the lass from the hotel saying something along the lines of 'the phone's been ringing off the hook today?'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have posted a couple of pics from last night, I never new how hard it is to take pics at night when it is snowing. Also a few from the web cams this morning to show people what conditions are like right now. It is still snowing lightly outside my door, but the vis is quite bad. Never mind, still time to go and have a play. Be back later.

To see the pics you need to visit my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Link below. Sorry to much of a hassle to upload them here.
snow report
bertie bassett, love that vid Smile

"sec, sec et puis, enfin, voila!"

And the hotelier lady - "le telephone sonne sans arrete" (apologies for bad spelling if any)

Still looks snowy on the cams & radar this morning and the wigglies are staying encouragingly spikey for the medium term. Very Happy
snow report
1950 is still being puked on by the snow gods. Im not even going to Les Arc this season but the webcams are really fun to watch.

Theres a post next to a path on a 1950 webcam that has almost dissapeared. That must be 30cms of fresh pow in the last 2 days and its still going. I need to find a more thrilling job without internet connection
snow report
snowcrazy, In your facebook post you mention that it will be a limited opening and suggest mainly the 2000 bowl will be open. Worried as I'm arriving on Sunday that I won't be able to access some of my favourite runs. Impressed last year with the amount of the Espace Killy early season.

What are peoples experience of early season in terms of which lifts are opened? Hoping they will at least open Mont Blanc, Varet, Grand Col, Bois de l'Ours and Grizzly.

Comborciere would be welcomed aswell, but as its slow and quiet wouldn't neccesarily expect it to be opened. Would have thought they would open to Villaroger for those staying there?

So excited now, feeling quite smug after a bit of a panic snowHead
latest report
Getting Powder Alarm emails now - feel so much happier Cool

Don't go till mid-Jan though Confused

Still sure there will be more to ski on than there was at Easter
snow conditions
snowcrazy,
Quote:
To see the pics you need to visit my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Link below. Sorry to much of a hassle to upload them here

Simply right click on the pic on facebook copy and paste the properties here then put this in front [img] and this at the end [/img]
Simples snowHead
ski holidays
Simples! This half hour ago in Montalbert Very Happy
I'm sure the owners of l'Arbrevoir Bar and Restaurant won't mind me re-posting it here!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 7-12-11 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's starting to look apocalyptic on the webcams. This is one of those happy occasions when more snow fell than was forecast by snow-forecast.

I'll just pop my hat in the microwave, be right back.
snow conditions
From current Avalanche bulletin
Average snowfall since last Friday..

- en Bauges : 10 cm à 1000 m, 20 cm à 1200-1400 m, 30 cm à 1600 m;
- en Beaufortain : 60 cm à 1200 m, 50 cm à 1600 m, 100 cm à 2200 m;
- au Nord Haute Tarentaise : 45 cm à 900 et 2000 m;
- au Sud Haute Tarentaise : 80 cm à 1800/2000 m, 50 à 90 cm à 2300/2500 m;
- en Vanoise : 50 cm à 1300, 65 cm à 2000 m, 95 cm à 3000 m;
- à l'Est Maurienne : 35 cm à 1600 m, 60 cm à 2400 m;
- en Haute Maurienne : 20 cm à 1700 m, 100 cm à 2700 m.

2 weeks today.... There's going to be another almighty dump. Very Happy
snow report
A Trip to Remember, Les Arcs to Bourg!

What a fun day it turned out to be. When I looked outside this morning. last nights dump did not let me down. There was loads of snow, up to my knees as I cleared the path. Did a few jobs then time to go and play. Toofy Grin

Tried out the downhill skis with the step-in 'add on' touring bindings. If you have never tried this system, it is fun, but you do need to have OK balance and watch your knees. (Ask at Polaire Star Ski and snowboard rentals by the funicular if you want to find out more about these, they turn your normal downhill skis into touring skis.) snowHead

After a good warm up, my first time on skis since last winter. Had some lunch then made up my mind to go out even if the vis up the mountain was bad. The snow had finished falling a few hours before, but the mountains were cloaked in cloud and fog getting ready for the next dump tonight I hoped. Laughing

Managed to hitch a ride up the mountain to Les Arcs 1600. The higher slopes were not visible and with so much snow about (around 30 - 40cm, I guess) it was better to take a safer option. There is a great route back down to Bourg so time to go. After 2 hours or so of a mix between downhill and traversing I made it from Les Arcs 1600 right back to the lake in Bourg, only taking my skis off to cross the roads and to avoid the odd fence or tree. Shocked

Really fun. Knee deep powder, maybe even more at the start. Then slowly as I got lower crossing the meadows and passing farm buildings to avoid the forest where possible, the snow started to get heavier as the vis improved. Even below half way the snow was still Ok and nearly up to my knees right until I reached the lake. The final meadow smelled of cattle, it was still green fields three days ago, but now a white untracked carpet. Toofy Grin

I did not do this route last season. What a treat today was, fresh tracks the whole way, nobody else around, just what skiing is all about. Might even do it again tomorrow in better vis I hope. What a great way to start a season. All alone in the white expanse of the mountainside above Bourg. Madeye-Smiley

Here is one photo, more can be found on my Les Arcs Winter page, link below. Hope you enjoy them.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Nice Cool
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, thanks for the help posting the pic, but I think one is enough since they have to be hosted somewhere. People might as well go to the 'Les Arcs Winter' page to see the rest.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy