Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Am in St Anton at the moment, agree with stanton, Galzig was also very poor visibility early. I've stayed fairly low the rest of the day but Gampen is a mixture of ice with moguls forming on it also.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Using my very unscientific viewing of wheels and snow depth in St Christoph via webcams, is it still snowing?????
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, And the lower pistes on Galzig and Nasserein are getting so moguled by the end of the day they're carnage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Stuben at moment, snowed continuously for last 24 hours...over 30cm new snow on our balcony now, and still accumulating.Pistes much better today, but visibility has been pants all day
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
humble, good news Smile Looks like the road is white now in St Christoph so I assume it's still coming down, good base building for my April trip Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pleased to report that it is 9pm in Stuben and still snowing heavily.....quite impressive accumulations! - getting on for 36 hours continual snow....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been snowing all day here in Lech, a good foot at least of fresh on the driveway here in resort.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
humble, Reminds me of my time there a couple of years ago. Would be interested to know on average how much more stuben gets than St Anton.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:

Stuben Zurs & Lech is getting ALOT more (normal) snow today than St Anton

Personally I would not venture off-piste due to the lack of any base, rocks.open ravines, gullys

stanton How much more snow to make off-piste excursions worth it? I guess the avy danger is going to sky rocket with all the new snow too...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Toadman wrote:
stanton wrote:

Stuben Zurs & Lech is getting ALOT more (normal) snow today than St Anton

Personally I would not venture off-piste due to the lack of any base, rocks.open ravines, gullys

stanton How much more snow to make off-piste excursions worth it? I guess the avy danger is going to sky rocket with all the new snow too...

About 9 or 10 months? I assume St. A and surrounds have similar thaw/freeze marbles below the crust the the French alps have?

Seriously; I'm out there 13th to 20th March. Loving the fact it is chucking it down right now....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing heavily!

Toadman, Not really more snow, the new snow just needs to bond and form a solid base.. At the moment we have 40cm of fresh snow on top of a sheet of ice, grass and rocks...

I skied some off-piste runs by the Shinderlergratbahn near the Valluga yesterday and it was ridiculous... I got first tracks the whole way down at 1pm (even more ridiculous), and kept catching way too much speed because the skis sank and hit the ice.. and occasionally a rock to test if I could fly yet.

The off piste run down to Happy Valley was a lot better, no idea about Rendl, and Stuben though.. I saw a lot of surface hoar by Rendl before the snowfall so I would stay clear of doing any real off piste there for a while.. It's meant to snow all week after Wednesday..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still snowing lots in Lech today too. Getting increasingly more tempted to ignore the doc and go snowboarding...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah Thanks for the info. We had similar conditions in the Cascades. Got very lucky with the snow bonding very well to the refrozen. Hoping for the same in the Arlberg.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
webcam in st. christophe is showing a very pretty snowy picture - enjoy it all ye who are heading out post the half term madness!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What are the piste conditions around Lech and Zurs like at the moment?
snow report
Toadman wrote:
Timmaah Thanks for the info. We had similar conditions in the Cascades. Got very lucky with the snow bonding very well to the refrozen. Hoping for the same in the Arlberg.

me too - hoping for serious snow and bondage by Saturday Wink

I like sound of 40cm anyway ..
snow conditions
It's not stopped enowing here for 2 days really, hard at times too, badly needed though it was very very icy. We've had everything today, really poor visibility at times in places and even a little blue sky. Powder has been fantastic too. If it stops tonight and the sun comes out tomorrow (which I believe is forecast) tomorrow will be awesome.

My daughter on the black down to Nasserein this morning

St Anton
snow report
Its still snowing in St Anton but this current weather is not to get excited about.
Its not dumping huge,its the wrong clouds with no heavy moisture.

If this was a normal 2day storm we would have 0.5-1metre snow in town,

We may have a few cms in town by the morning !

Tomorrow will be cold -16C

Bachseite steep & deepish tomorrow Very Happy

I should add that some folks perception of Powder snow are quite different to the
Powder Hounds in St Anton

Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-02-11 18:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
stanton, Agreed there is very little in town. It was pretty heavy up the mountain around lunchtime though, quite a good cover too. Still icy patches coming through as the fresh snow is scraped off.
snow conditions
Another day of persistent snow in Stuben...and this evening it is very heavy and big flakes - so accumulating fast. Spent the day over at Lech....brightened up for about an hour at lunchtime, but otherwise snowed all day. Pistes mixed....low down they are icy and any new snow is just being scraped off - need some serious bashing overnight. Up high....generally excellent, but on steep bits the lack of base is apparent as grass is showing in places with any traffic. Off-piste is a lottery- I value my skis too much - still not enough base and very easy to hit submerged rocks etc. - but the brief forays I did were knee deep light powder and great fun
latest report
humble, does look & sound like Stuben and St Christoph are getting a fair bit more than St Anton!!
snow conditions
Colin B, Rendl usually quieter and therefore less chance of scraping. That said it normally gets less snow than Stuben etc
snow conditions
Visibility was pretty shocking today but still did a couple routes.. snow went easily to my knees.. It is true that the majority of the snow has fallen on the top of the mountain but its been like that all season really...

Going to try to get to Stuben tomorrow!
ski holidays
Agree that I wouldn't really use the term dumping. It's kind of heavy light snow if that makes sense. Adds a very nice top layer of dry powder, but not making a huge impact on the base depths. So far.

So pistes are in fine form, though the falling snow (especially round lunchtime) meant there were a fair few moguls in the usual places by the end of the day.

Off piste, there is powder, there is a lot of fun to be had. But there also rocks, tree stumps and streams not very deeply covered.

Snow starting to settle in town tonight. Should be good tomorrow!
ski holidays
Still snowing here at resort level in Lech and people saying plenty of powder around over knee deep. Hopefully gonna try getting back on the board on Thursday
latest report
Blaue Himmel... Very Happy
snow report
Folks, It does not look like we are going to get the second wave of snow on Thursday Sad
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Folks, It does not look like we are going to get the second wave of snow on Thursday Sad

yeh GFS is backing off on it as well, but then again they didn't predict the length of the previous storm, looking hopeful around the 27th Feb....

Glad to see the webcam for St Anton has a minus figure in front of it down in the village Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely day today, blue sky all day, but quite cold. Mainly skied on Galzig and Rendl today. Snow was getting scraped away pretty badly in places but still a great day.
This is my daughter on one of the blacks on Galzig this morning.
St Anton
snow report
Lech and Zurs certainly looked like they had more snow than St Anton yesterday. And the cars at St Christophe were buried.

Pistes in Zurs were in rude health first thing. Smashing. Blue, blue skies and cold. Snow was squeaky.

Off piste had about 20cm to 30cm fresh, plus or minus depending where you were. Very light and powdery. Nice.

Inevitably with the resort quite busy pistes were mogulled by the end of the day and most of the obvious off piste was tracked.

But in in all a great day to be in the mountains! Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton, this is good news for me, as I'm booked with piste 2 powder tomorrow! Let it snow the rest of the week instead! Had a phenomenal day today.. got first tracks under schindlergratbahn, and managed to finally enjoy the off-piste in Stuben.

Happy days!
snow conditions
Zurs pefect early this morning, Plenty of fresh lines to made under blue sky Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
Zurs pefect early this morning, Plenty of fresh lines to made under blue sky Very Happy

ah - that sounds like the Zurs I know. Just leaving for airport now. Leave some freshies for me on Saturday Wink
ski holidays
In St Anton from Sunday. Assuming Sunday and Monday are whiteouts any recommendations for good off piste eg like Bruson for a Verbier regular? Will have map and Andy Thurner's off piste guide.
ski holidays
BobinCH,

I've got Andy Thurners book too although IMHO to get the best out of St Anton offpiste without too much risk hire a guide. (The book cannot assess risks or weather / snow and won't stop you ending up in the wrong place/valley.)

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
snow report
Lovely morning in St Anton before the cloud came over this afternoon. It wasn't as cold as yesterday either. I headed over to Stuben and back after lunch, the snow was really nice over there. This photo shows one of the peaks over at Stuben late morning. If you look at it full size you can see lots of skiers hiking up towards the cross at the top.

St Anton
snow conditions
DB, Thanks. Trying to get a guide for Monday but not sure when we'll get there on Sunday and want to ski. Will head for Stuben.
ski holidays
BobinCH, Stuben (hike up Albona) or Zurs. Certainly over last few days more has fallen further west. Or if you wanted easy warm ups you could lap bachseite on Galzig which is pretty reliable off piste.

Snowing very lightly at the moment. Beautiful sunshine this morning, before cloud and flat light came in after lunch.

Plenty of off piste if you were willing to go a little further. Pistes started firm then softened nicely.

On a broader point, I've been really enjoying the conditions out here, we've had fresh snow, sunshine and cold temperatures. But it is no secret that this season in the Alps has not been great and the Arlberg is not immune. At lower levels the coverage is thin and around St Anton a lot of south facing low lying areas are grass rather than snow. These are of course the parts that often have a thin layer anyway and it is not that rare to see them bare. But all in all I can't remember things looking like this around town in February any time I've been here in the last ten years.

Worth noting that a fair amount of bushes will be sitting prouder than normal on the slopes as they have not had the benefit of the weight of two months of snow to bend them over.

I'd repeat though that this has little impact on the pistes or the higher off piste. And in general there is more snow (and it looks snowier) in Stuben, Lech and Zurs. And great fun to be had skiing good snow across the Arlberg.
snow report
northantsred wrote:
chaletlizard, how did you manage to source short break digs? we are going for 3 days/4 nights next month and no one wants to put us up.

We used Flexiski.co.uk , brilliant chalet, would def recommend
snow report
Looks like it snowed lightly throughout the night and still snowing lightly now. An inch or two has fallen in town.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy