Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European school holidays 2013 2014

Poster: A snowHead
I know we usually get a calendar on here of the various school holidays and was wondering if anyone had the dates for next season yet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouth, I found the French ones here http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid25058/le-calendrier-scolaire.html?annee=108&zone=0&search_input=%A0D%E9partement%2C+Code+postal+ou+ville

Belgian ones here http://www.enseignement.be/index.php?page=23953

The table posted last year wasn't done until May.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, I don't think you need to worry much about any other than the French and the UK half term.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Netherlands:

Christmas is 21 December to 5 January

Feb:
Middle and South Region: 15 -22 Feb
North Region: 22 Feb - 2 March

Decide for yourself if the Belgians and Dutch holidays are insignificant
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, Not if you're going to Austria Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be fair, more Dutch ski Austria than France or Switzerland because 1) most Dutch speak German rather than French 2) Austria on balance is cheaper than Switzerland

Having said that, my attorney and my accountant ski Switzerland, I guess that pretty much says it all, doesn't it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

my attorney and my accountant ski Switzerland

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpe D'Huez was rammed with Belgians for their half term last month. However although it was busy I'm sure it would have been a lot busier the next week for UK half term and the start of the french holidays.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HeidiAmsterdam, thank you for your very fine observations of the Dutch...

Mouth, one might also consider the Germans who 'invade' Austria in the first week of Germany: http://www.schulferien.org/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Suedtirol also very popular with the Dutch. When we were there this UK half term there were hardly any Brits but lots of people from NL where it was school holiday time in the south. You only have to travel on the motorways in Germany to appreciate how popular skiing is in NL.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
Alpe D'Huez was rammed with Belgians for their half term last month. However although it was busy I'm sure it would have been a lot busier the next week for UK half term and the start of the french holidays.

Don't underestimate the Belgians, Chatel was also rammed with them that week too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone know of a site that lists all the UK holidays? All the ones I have found require you to search by county, which is going to mean a lot of trawling.

I want one like the French site oriented around week i.e. Listing the counties that will mostly be on hols that week.

All I have ever seen have presented the information from the wrong pov for me...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, there was a one that used to be posted by Boredsurfing from one of the tourist offices. perhaps South-west?
I did have a google, but it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a list on Holiday Lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/resources/owner-advice/successful-marketing/uk-school-holidays-dates-for-2013-2014/a-1-31-2055/

Sorry, I can't vouch for its accuracy though. Private schools will have extra days/weeks, and there still may be some alterations from county to county. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells, I think thefatcontroller used to post one too, I googled too but couldn't find one for next year.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, ooops! I am talking about a different chart sorry Embarassed
latest report
Hells Bells, perfect. Absolute accuracy not necessary, it's just a guide to pricing.

Thanks!
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
under a new name, there was a one that used to be posted by Boredsurfing from one of the tourist offices. perhaps South-west?
I did have a google, but it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.

Since the demise of Regional tourist baords such resources are no longer updated Sad
Google did find this http://www.halftermdates.co.uk/
ski holidays
Thanks everyone that is really useful. Just planning next season and potential dates/weekends..
latest report
under a new name, Just look at the prices advertised by the TOs, if it's double normal rate then it's a British school holiday
snow report
In Austria and parts of Italy beware of fasching or Carneval week which changes dates every year. Next winter 2013/2014 it will be during the first week of March. Prices for hotels will rise in this week if your booking Independtly. Not sure how it affects TO prices though
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
In Austria and parts of Italy beware of fasching or Carneval week which changes dates every year. Next winter 2013/2014 it will be during the first week of March. Prices for hotels will rise in this week if your booking Independtly. Not sure how it affects TO prices though

Fasching coincides with the start of Lent - hence the reason why the dates change iaw the dates for Easter.
snow report
as posted elsewhere
http://www.lodge-spa.fr/newsletter/news_21/vac1314.pdf
latest report
some really useful info here. But I need advice!
So what the recommendation. Im looking at Hants half term dates of 17-21st feb 2014.
Looking at the French website that's the same as Zone C (Paris).
The German site is Saxony and Thuringia
Dutch, is middle and southern region
And the Belgians are the following week.

So France or Austria or even Italy? (cant afford swiss)
snow conditions
Anybody? Puzzled
snow report
snips73, I could be wrong but I think Paris and UK at the same time is the worst scenario for French Ski Hols, but I would be pleased to hear I am wrong!
ski holidays
Quote:

I would be pleased to hear I am wrong!

sorry to disappoint, but you're right. wink

Going to France when it's both UK and Paris half terms is madness, frankly; there are plenty of other places to ski.
ski holidays
pam w, booger, my worst fears confirmed Sad BUT never mind it will be our last half term ever!!
and all those lovely "75's" will always take their 3 hour lunch break leaving the pistes empty Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would seem that some of Wales, definitely us, has 22nd Feb to 1st. March which coincides with Paris and Northen France. Is that as bad as coinciding with the English week and does anybody know if Italy would be better (quieter) that week ?
ski holidays
I had a hunch it was avoid Paris week. How disappointing,

So how about Austria which is the same time as NL (middle and South) and Germany (Saxony and Thuringia) .
I was lucky enough to do a halfterm in 2012 and it was pretty quiet, but our half term seemed to have been different than the rest of the EU.
ski holidays
snips73,

Dutch middle and south is less of an issue. In the heavily catholic areas, they will be changing their holiday to coincide with Carnival, which is later. But anyway, in the south, especially, which is also less populated, they tend more to do Carnival than ski... It is NL north which is more of an issue.

Personally, I think I'm going to head to Switzerland, for multiple reasons, least of which is my own little private protest over this ski instructor issue (which for me is just an EU non compliant cross border issue). It's going to cost me a few pence more, but hey-ho, I'm thinking it will be worth it also to avoid the busyness as indeed the school holidays are not as balanced as last year, and I suspect that will impact crowds on the slopes and the prices.

The Germans will be going to Austria, and as I said before, a larger portion of Dutch also go to Austria, as more Dutch speak German and French, I would say it is 65/35 split. I would think Italy would be a good choice.

We haven't seen our holiday schedule yet, we will for sure get the one week starting 22 Feb, but often they add days on one end of the other, and depending on how much it is, I may also head to Italy, but if it's just the one week, I'll stay in Switzerland, it shaves 2 hours off the driving time, each way.
snow report
Hi Heidi, thanks for the advice and inside knowledge wink

I guess I need to look for some good recommended family destinations in Italy or Switzerland
latest report
I have already committed myself and my family to half term in L2A next year....had a feeling that the French would also be off that week, but no real way around with my son in his last year of A levels.!
Other than not going. Sad ...can anyone advise if it would be better for me to get away early on the Friday prior to the break up and get as far south as possible on the Friday evening, then having the short journey the following morning. looking at doing an overnight stop in an IBIS or equivalent. The following Saturday 22nd, we are thinking of doing all day in resort and making the most of it, travelling back in a oner (we both drive so can alternate) and travel through Saturday night.

Has anyone done similar to this, or any other advice would be welcome.
latest report
Quote:

can anyone advise if it would be better for me to get away early on the Friday prior to the break up and get as far south as possible on the Friday evening, then having the short journey the following morning

Yes, definitely. Friday heading south will still be busy, as you won't be the only one with that idea! You must book a hotel very early though, as thousands of people will be aiming to stay as close to their resorts as possible. Aim to be up the mountain by 10 am, though you probably won't have access to your accommodation till later (might be the possibility of a room to change, if it's a chalet or hotel).

Skiing the last Saturday is a good idea too. Leave later, when the mayhem has died down, though if it's a good skiing day there will probably be some local day-trip traffic down the mountain around 5 pm.

If it doesn't work out to drive up to your accommodation really early on the Saturday, make it after 6 pm.
snow conditions
Simon94, as pam w agrees, so do I Very Happy

We had A Levels to take into consideration this year so we booked our first half term February trip (would normally have done first week April). Our accommodation (very accommodatingly Very Happy ) allowed for a Friday arrival and Sunday departure. This worked so well that we have rebooked next February and wondered what all the fuss was about wink
We had amazingly quiet slopes too, for half term. We did manage to avoid Paris weeks.

We found the drive acceptable, took us about an hour longer because of wet weather and traffic near Dijon.
ski holidays
Quote:

We had amazingly quiet slopes too, for half term.

Yet another advantage of sticking to areas off the British TOs map.
snow report
pam w, wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy