Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So the kids get increasingly better ....

Poster: A snowHead
so they need more advanced gear, so they get even better, so I can't afford new stuff for myself, so they leave me even further behind. Dropped £600 (would have been £800 if it weren't for the sales) on new skis/boots for my daughter in the last 2 months with another £500 for her BASI1 course very soon. At this rate I won't be able to afford to ski myself Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And then they expect you to take them skiing as well and intimidate or embarrass you too!
Are we parents all mugs?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paper round?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Y'see. I took my daughter for her first ski trip about 4 years ago. She wants to go again and keeps asking me to take her (she's nearly 19). At the start of each season she asks me if I'll take her and my answer is that I can only afford to take one person skiing and that's me. Selfish I know but that's how it is. Toofy Grin
snow report
 cran
cran
halfhand wrote:
She wants to go again and keeps asking me to take her (she's nearly 19). At the start of each season she asks me if I'll take her and my answer is that I can only afford to take one person skiing and that's me. Selfish I know but that's how it is. Toofy Grin

Tell her to do a season...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think once they reach the age of gainful employment (part-time or otherwise) mine will be expected to make a reasonable contribution depending on income. No income - no trip - they can all work a season as mentioned above.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, after your little one gets her badge she will be cranking in the big bucks at the dry slope and soon will have fat stacks of cheddar to splash out on new skis for the old man Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At least I can look forward to free lessons (I hope) Smile

But the joy of watching her ski so well (and seeing others turn their heads to watch her) more than makes up for it Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, I've been out shopping for a new car today and the principle/only selection criteria appears to be how comfortable it is for the kids in the back, price, mpg, affordability pale into insignificance!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

so they need more advanced gear, so they get even better, so I can't afford new stuff for myself, so they leave me even further behind.

Expensive kit = better skier? Fallacious. She'd leave you behind even if she was wearing Dare2Be and skiing on Quechua hardware.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, Quite right she'd leave me far behind on the most basic/old gear Sad However they do need better hardware to advance, we watched the L2A race kids training on Easter Saturday, none were on Quechua gear wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, lot of snobbery/parental oneupmanship going on around the club de ski - don't be fooled.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, Laughing I'm sure it's every bit as bad as everywhere Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My parents couldn't afford to take me skiing when I was a kid. And that was the end of it, until I could afford to take myself. Ho hum.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, Never even dreamed of it when I was a kid, I started at 46. I now kid my parents that I was "neglected". One of the reasons I'm keen that my daughter can progress in something that we really enjoy doing together.
ski holidays
Same here, started at 45 and have the same problem as Colin keeping my kids in ski and snowboard gear!
ski holidays
Old enough for advanced gear and instructor courses = old enough to pay for 'em
snow report
Not suggesting it's a problem, we all know it's not the cheapest of past-times. My point, badly point across probably, is that we all want our kids to improve which leads to increasing costs for them (gear, instruction, etc) as they do.

Don't worry I shall still scrimp and save to fuel my addiction also next winter (albeit on increasingly tatty gear) wink
ski holidays
I've paid for one ski holiday per year for my lads until they finish Uni. That means that next season I've only got on to pay for Very Happy
However, I think that i am a soft touch and that Megamum has got it right and they should have been contributing from the moment that they started earning (babysitting, teaching piano, retail).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc, at just 16 and still at school, I welcome your suggestions!!
latest report
Colin B wrote:
so they need more advanced gear, so they get even better, so I can't afford new stuff for myself, so they leave me even further behind. Dropped £600 (would have been £800 if it weren't for the sales) on new skis/boots for my daughter in the last 2 months with another £500 for her BASI1 course very soon. At this rate I won't be able to afford to ski myself Shocked

Once she gets that BASI badge then she'll get the BASI pro-deal and costs will come down.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
narc, at just 16 and still at school, I welcome your suggestions!!

16 is old enough to work outside of school - Thurs eve and Sat in retail was typical amongst my friends and I and that is even before summer holidays. With presumably no outgoings on rent, food etc. almost all of it will be disposable (and minimal tax): I bought a car, paid for the insurance, running costs, driving lessons, powerboat course, dinghy instructors course and a load of other things all while at school. All about priorities and how much you want it.

Obviously what you pay for your kids is up to you and I realise this is a lighthearted thread so I'm not trying to be an ar$e just saying a few years ago this is how I did it.
snow conditions
narc, No problem, I was up delivering papers at 6.30 at 13 too but that was long ago. Not sure that it's quite as easy now, but I'm a soft sod too!
snow report
Colin B, I was really lucky as a young one, verging on spoilt, but I used to work for what I wanted from about the age of 10 onwards. If i wanted a new wetsuit/bicycle/windsurf sail whatever it was priced up and a suitable number of hours allocated to it. Hours were worked off cutting the lawn, barrowing manure, digging the garden etc. Now looking back I'm quite sure that the hours didn't ever really match the price in any way and I'm also fairly sure that the records were regularly fudged to my benefit, but it did teach me to value what I had and to look after my kit.
snow conditions
I'm pretty lucky with my parents, who are pretty generous (especially with holidays) but I still had to contribute/pay for my own kit. I did get my first kayak at 13 or so payed for, as a Christmas/Birthday present) as at that age it wasn't feasible for me to earn enough to buy one myself (I did work enough to earn a 40% discount off it though). I've bought every other boat, and most kit I've needed though (got my ski boots for doing well at A levels, and they helped pay my insurance and a few other things for my gap year, as even work every hour possible I was only barely able to afford my instructor course).

If you've got the spare cash there's no reason not to drop it on your kids, but I do see many people my age now starting jobs with no idea of what hard work is (NOT saying this is your kid btw).
snow report
Interesting comments here from clarky999, rogg and narc, which chimes with a lot of what I heard from candidates (particularly successful ones wink ) at the Civil Service Selection Boards. Sure, this is a lighthearted thread, but it is indeed about priorities, and somebody who has worked to pay for a course, or their kit (or make a decent contribution towards it) has demonstrated important qualities. I think we were generous parents, too, when the kids were school/university age, but we'd have taken a very dim view if they had expected us to work for things they were not prepared to work for themselves. You can be generous without being indulgent.

My younger son, who is doing a Ph D in Italy, and is by no means well off, has invited me to Genoa next month to do an intensive Italian course with him, and at his expense. I am paying my own airfare, though, and will no doubt buy quite a few bottles of vino during the week. wink
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

so they need more advanced gear, so they get even better, so I can't afford new stuff for myself, so they leave me even further behind.

Expensive kit = better skier? Fallacious. She'd leave you behind even if she was wearing Dare2Be and skiing on Quechua hardware.

Dare2Be fleece and jacket has been as good as any North Face, Marmot, Mammut or Patagonia kit I've owned. And at a fraction of the price. Especially from TK Maxx
latest report
[quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:

Expensive kit = better skier?

jjc-james used to open eurotests on old Rossi 9x's and was still quick enough wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine buy their own stuff now - but they are in their 30's and work as instructors in Meribel. I dread to think how much has been spent on their snowsports since they started at Easter 1983. But we do get 'free' instruction now when we visit (actual cost £10,000/hour???) They have both gone through the BASI system to level 4 and competed internationally for about 10 years before going into instructing when they retired from competition.
snow conditions
We are taking ours skiing with us till they leave school and then once they leave home/go to uni they can come on the family Christmas trip for free as we like to see them. If poor student chooses not to spend her loan/wages from p/t job on skiing, but on books, materials, beer or clothes that's entirely up to her. Once they start earning they can pay for their own ski passes! Same with clothing/skis/boots. We bought the first set as gifts for daughter, and son will get some when he stops growing. If you are jammy you can get really good stuff in sales. Beggars can't be choosers. Son raised £2000 from hard work to go to Scout Jamboree last year so it can be done....even in small village/no shops/paper rounds/no bus to get somewhere to work...was very hard, but he washed a lot of cars.,
snow report
I started working in a local ski shop when I was 16. They did other sports too, so I started out in the summer, in one generic sports store full time over the holidays, and moved to their shop that did ski equipment as a Saturday boy in the winter, where I learned to service skis. What I earned didn't quite pay for my equipment, but it did mean my folks got a healthy discount when it came to buying stuff.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, not until she gets her level 2! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:

The DNA is strong in this one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy