Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ever ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to skiing and to this forum so thought I'd say a quick hello and share how excited I am to be going on my first ever ski holiday. Myself and 6 mates are going to La Rosiere in France over the easter hols, with the exception of one of the group we are all mountain virgins, so it should be quite entertaining.

I took my first lesson at CF in Manchester in January and got hooked. I did all of their day lessons and took advantage of the unlimited pass offer so have made a lot of progress in a short time. I'm now skiing parallel throughout the turn and have just learned how to carve turns. I can't wait to be able to ski for longer than 180m before getting to the bottom!

I've booked lessons with Evolution 2 so hopefully by the end of the holiday I'll be skiing some of the more challenging terrain, which is supposed to be not that difficult in La Rosiere by all accounts. Just hoping the weather will be ok and I don't break any bones.

If anyone has any experience of the resort or just some tips for a first timer, they'd be most welcome.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 27-03-12 15:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

going to La Rosiere

Puzzled never heard it mentioned

wink

you will absoloutely have a fab time! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justatheory, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Very exciting, you will have a ball. La Rosiere is a good resort to learn in and Evolution 2 have a good reputation. The snow is good this year - spring conditions which is normal for this time of year - and there is generally a good base in many areas. You will probably find that it's hard and icy first thing in the morning, perfect mid-morning and very soft by early afternoon (many of the slopes in La Ros are south-facing so may soften earlier). Be prepared to play around with your layers - it could get quite hot and then again, it could get very cold Toofy Grin
As you have some experience already you might be able to make it over to La Thuile wink

EDIT suncream, suncream, suncream Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Lou, I'm sorted for suncream and I'm hoping to get away with a merino baselayer and gore-tex shell? I've got a feeling I'll be using the vents a lot!

I've got a hydration rucksack that I use for MTB and was wondering if people use these for skiing, or does the water freeze?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justatheory, welcome to snow snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you slushy Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hydration packs will probably be ok if the daytime temp is respectably above 0c. Not goo din midwinter mind.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hydration packs are great for skiing/boarding - I always wear one now, either just a camelback, or the bladder in a bigger rucksack.

Freezing isn't so much a problem for the bladder itself, but if it's a few deg below zero or lower, then the pipe and mouthpiece is prone to freezing. I've got the camel back cold weather pipe and mouth piece which improves things - it's basically just an insulated pipe and mouthpiece.
http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Accessories/Thermalcontrolkit.aspx
I reckon it was between 0 to -8 when I was in courchevel in Jan and I had no problems, but my wife who had a cheaper bladder without pipe insulation did get some freezing on the colder days.

Before I had the insulation kit, I did used to get some problems with freezing which could often be overcome by clearing the pipe of water after drinking, to stop the pipe getting frozen. You can blow the water back in to the bladder (but don't blow too much and inflate it !), but then hold the mouth piecee in the air and pinch the end to allow the air back out. (otherwise when you ride a chair lift and put your weight back, it forces water back into pipe which then freezes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and enjoy your first trip Happy, but try not to think of the 000's you are now going to be hooked on spending on winter hols and associatted kit for the rest of your life snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
justatheory, you can put any cycling baselayers or shirts to good use too, I can't see you needing much more than a base layer and shell; if it's really hot a softshell or fleece works too, I'd stick in a pair of full finger lightweight mtb gloves in as well; you're likely to get warm.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc I've been quite fortunate in that a lot of gear I use for mtb and climbing I can use for the trip. If I get in to skiing - which I'm sure I will - then I will be treating myself to some boots. Can anyone recommend a good ski equipment shop near Manchester?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
justatheory, for boots, the lad at Rivington Alpine up near Bolton gets good reviews.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory, ski from 1st lift to late lunch as the slush may well be pretty mad by early. If you can ski the reds pretty reasonably then the best snow should be over the back in the Col region.

Where are you staying?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What Frosty the Snowman said.

We're in La Rosiere at the moment and it's glorious spring weather. We're up early and normally waiting for the lifts to start, like utter saddos, and we ski La Ros until mid morning, then head over to La Thuile until late lunchtime. A leisurely Poole back through the better snow in the Col gets us back into the slush in La Ros mid afternoon. At which point it's G&T time so we head back to the chalet.

The pistes are practically empty at the moment - it's heavenly! It's also rather good fun being the first person down some of the runs.

Re clothing - I'm in ski trousers and jacket and a cycling vest and I'm boiling to death half the time - I tend to strip on the chairlifts to cool down, much to the OH's consternation. You'll be fine with cycling kit and a gore tex.

Enjoy yourself!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
justatheory, As Mosha Marc says Graham at Rivington Alpine is your man for bootfitting and I had my boots fitted there. It's a new shop on an industrial estate in Adlington, near Chorley.

When I had mine done, I went in at lunchtime on a Saturday and came out about 6 O'clock in the evening, so he's very thorough and there is also a good stock of other ski gear.

Website : http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/index.php?page_id=newspage&id=10&name=NEW+STORE+NOW+OPEN!!
ski holidays
Cheers for the tip geepee, I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up Frosty & Spannah . I'm staying in Les Balcons apartments in Les Eucherts. Really appreciate your help, forums aren't just for arguing on after all Very Happy
snow report
What Spannah, said about being up early is not for saddos. The best skiing is always the first few hours of the day.

http://youtube.com/v/DO4uJT7hZXU&feature=g-upl&context=G29d0e1eAUAAAAAAAAAA
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy