Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The opposite of 'Chalet Girl'?

Poster: A snowHead
http://warandpiste.com/index.html

Thanks to Skipedia Iain's review for the heads-up on this one: http://www.skipedia.co.uk/wp/2011/10/war-and-piste-the-best-ski-season-book-so-far/

I read this book in two days - very hard to put down. More Jagermeister and powder adventures than you could shake a stick at. One for the skiing gents and ladies alike, I reckon.

Anyone else read it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If Iain is reccomending the book it must be worth a look Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just having a copy purchased will let you know....... snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-11-11 18:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks good to me.....copy ordered
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks good to me as well - put it on my Amazon wish list for the next order Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£2.29 for the Kindle - will download later
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, Is that only for Kindle or will it work on other readers?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, good read, and also downloads to any e book reader
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, Do you know if it will download to read on an ipad?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
Neilski, Do you know if it will download to read on an ipad?

Yes it will and dont forget you can get the free Kindle App for iPad to make things super easy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Started this book today as i sat on my balcony overlooking montalbert's green runs in the scortching sun. It is quite a funny read thus far. Cant wait for the landscape to turn white as i finish the book.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh! Sold out in Waterstones and WHSmith. Looks likes Kindle/iPad downlaod is the answer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, not sure. Just went on to Amazon. Pretty new at this Kindle thing so not sue if you can download from Amazon to other ereaders
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, Yep , get the kindle app it's great , much better than I books
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone downloaded onto the Apple iPad from Amazon with the Kindle App, really easy and straight forward (provided you are already registered to use Amazon) Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing, Neilski, aside from kindle for iPad, do you know which ebook reader is best? I had thought Kindle was sort of leading the charge, but now there's Nook and Fire and Kobo and Sony and BeBook... tempted to make the switch to ebooks but don't want another repeated of the mini-disc fiasco (was just coming to grips with the necessary faff when iPod took over the universe and invented whole new worlds of faff.)

Any advice v welcome.
ski holidays
Elske, I was tempted to wait for the Kindle Fire http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=sa_menu_kdpo3?tag=amz07b-21 but decided on just going for the newer version on the Kindle as I purely wanted an ereader - I did not want all the additional functions. From what little research I did, what seemed to put the Kindle above other ereaders, was the display - easier on the eyes than others. I get the train every day to work and it slips into my suit jacket pocket without really knowing it's there. Have not looked at the competition to see how much they weigh in comparison but the new Kindle is extremely light and I think a very good piece of kit for what it's designed for
snow report
boabski, Good point iPad is not the lightest bit of tech!
snow report
got this yesterday and about 100 pages in. it's funny but i think in honesty i might prefer belle de neige as BDN is real (or so i think) whereas in war and piste everytihng imaginable that could go wrong, DOES go wrong, which makes for slightly less believable and thus less fun reading, i think anyway.
snow report
Excellent read! About half way through, seems pretty true to life. Obviously fictionalized but the author knows her stuff and it is very much based on a real resort - pretty much everything she mentions has happened to me or to a rep I worked with. It is not at all far fetched but is very funny.

EDIT - just finished the book. OK, not everything in there could really happen to one rep in one season... but it's a great read anyway! Certainly captures the atmosphere and a lot of the ups and downs of a ski season. It's more of a girlie read, so not really my cup of tea but the fact that a kept recognizing places and characters kept me reading it anyway... and the fact that I gave up a life in the alps to become an IT consultant gave me a pause for thought (!).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 6-12-11 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Amazon's returns / replacement policy is superb at present - my youngest has dropped one Kindle (not in cover, onto concrete - screen became deranged) and subsequently trod on its replacement (screen became deranged... the quicker witted will sense a pattern developing - hopefully Amazon will not!). Big recommendation is a protective cover - yes you can blow £45 for a genuine leather Amazon Kindle OEM version or you can get a perfectly usable leatherette version for under £7.00 (yes, under seven quid).

Amazon seem to take the view that these Kindle devices ought to withstand the knocks and bumps that life throws at them and replaced the first and then the second without any quibble - on both occasions they sent out a replacement straightaway with the request that the "failed" item be returned within 30 days (or be billed for the replacement item).

Some freeware called "calibre" can be used to manage your PC based library and indeed convert formats should you have, say, a Sony eReader and a Kindle in the household (as we do). If you Google calibre ebooks it will take you to their download portal. IMHO, the Kindle is less complex and easier to manage than the Sony eReader - but the eReader seems more sturdy (not that I will let my daughter anywhere near it...) and I do love my Kindle!

Now, does anyone have any recommendations re helmet-cams? Puzzled
ski holidays
just finished this boook and I thorughly enjoyed it. a bit chick-lit but gets me thinking of the season ahead and gets the juices flowing for backcountry powder..... start my new job training tomorrow in Plagne 1800.... more snow is on the way no doubt.
latest report
Ooo, sounds great, will get it ordered tomorrow. Just finished my current book.
ski holidays
Happen to have got a Kindle for my Birthday Very Happy once I figure out what to do with it I will download this book.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, happy birthday. Enjoy the Kindle - a doddle to download with average download taking around 1-2 seconds. Started reading the book last night - quite good. More for girls though
ski holidays
boabski, yup, managed to get it downloaded before I was out of bed Smile and without the instruction book. Have started reading the book - agree it seems a bit girlie (what I've read so far anyway) - which is just my cup of tea.
snow report
Got my copy free from the Library - it helps that I drive one.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Well, that's £2.29 I won't get back. Got to the end by dint of reading about one page in ten, that was more than enough.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
Well, that's £2.29 I won't get back. Got to the end by dint of reading about one page in ten, that was more than enough.

Presumably you bought it on the Kindle? You can email Amazon and tell them what you thought of it and they might refund you... I bought a book on Kindle in error and returned it without too much bother.

Out of interest, what didn't you like? It's not exactly a great work of the English language but I found it amusing enough.
snow report
sah, it's OK, I'm not overly bothered about the £2.29. I didn't care about any of the cardboard characters (it was impossible, with a very few exceptions to tell any of them apart) the humour was laboured at best, and the two love affairs were emetically mawkish. Apart from that, I thought it was terrific. Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica, Oh well, that's just saved me the bother of reading it........
ski holidays
You could lend it to somebody else, Pedantica.
snow report
Me thinks the author has been to st Anton
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
sah, it's OK, I'm not overly bothered about the £2.29. I didn't care about any of the cardboard characters (it was impossible, with a very few exceptions to tell any of them apart)

Yeah, true... but have you met resort workers Happy

Quote:
the humour was laboured at best, and the two love affairs were emetically mawkish. Apart from that, I thought it was terrific. Toofy Grin

emetically mawkish - well put (I think) !!! I can't argue with you there. Mainly because I'm not sure I understand the words, but yeah, that part was predictable and rather sickly.

You're right, it's certainly no great shakes but it's a bit of fun. I think a couple of quid is a fair price. If you've worked in St Anton it is actually quite funny, a lot of the references make more sense with that context.
latest report
boabski wrote:
Me thinks the author has been to st Anton

No doubt. It certainly draws on a lot of St Anton for places and I'm pretty sure for characters too.
snow report
sah,
Quote:

Yeah, true... but have you met resort workers
Yes. I've even been one! But I'm not sure that being unable to tell them apart in real life - especially when drunk - makes for good reading!
latest report
Hi everyone,
I heard there was a Snowheads post on this. Thanks for your interest in my book. I was chuffed to meet a father and son Snowhead team in the Channel Tunnel last night who had heard about War & Piste through this thread and saw the book tour van. Lovely to chat to you both.

If anyone's in Meribel at the moment, come say hello at the Rond Point tomorrow afternoon from 3.30pm. I promise i'll answer all questions on St Anton and the other places that influenced this story.
If you're nowhere near, get out here soon! We spent today skiing untracked powder in an empty resort. Come play!

We'll also be in Morzine, Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt and St Anton (but of course) in the coming fortnight. Drop me a line at info@warandpiste.com or visit the website for details on where to catch us. And while you're at it, feel free to send me your thoughts on the book.. glowing, scathing, hilarious...hilariously scathing - I'm new to this fiction world (from academic history...snore) and I'm very interested in your thoughts.

AT
ski holidays
Thanks for the post, Alex, I'm sure one of the above will partake your offer on giving you their thoughts after reading the book!

I haven't read it myself (but I have bought it for my Kindle), but reading all the above makes me think that I'll be making a trip to St.Anton some time this season!
ski holidays
AlexT, Welcome to snowHeads,
if I bump into you over the winter can you sign my Kindle Laughing
It's just not the same is it snowHead
snow report
AlexT, was a bit disappointed that you didnt go into a bit of detail on the "sleeping together" bit...but have got to the bit why that all makes sense now Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy