Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
stevo_the_saddler, Not sure I'd suggest the Gers draglift to an intermediate boarder. It is one of the longest, steepest I've ever used Shocked Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jivebaby, Ssshhh Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aup De Veran could be up and running in a couple of weeks if it gets the testing and ok done. The two new pylons were installed in the last few days.

http://associationflainoise.free.fr/articles/spip.php?article218&lang=fr

Hoping it's up and working for my Easter break with the family.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevo_the_saddler, When are you out next?
Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samoens this Saturday = cover Queen and VonZepp
http://www.samoens.com/anglaishiver/MENU5/agenda/index.html/date-1330187779
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jivebaby, Unfortunately not until summer now Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back out there this Saturday, conditions sound great. Keep the reports coming, not that my appetite needs much whetting. Bit concerned to read about the traffic up the hill - will be starting the climb up at about 1pm
latest report
 cran
cran
Chris Mason wrote:
Back out there this Saturday, conditions sound great. Keep the reports coming, not that my appetite needs much whetting. Bit concerned to read about the traffic up the hill - will be starting the climb up at about 1pm

It should be ok by lunch time...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take your time, gets quiter as the day goes on. Never a queue at 8pm when we get there Happy
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Jivebaby wrote:
stevo_the_saddler, Not sure I'd suggest the Gers draglift to an intermediate boarder. It is one of the longest, steepest I've ever used Shocked Embarassed

If they want to get better they need to do the harder stuff sometime... Toofy Grin

Following mates down stuff I wouldn't have even considered possible on my own at the start of the season has improved my skiing loads.

Boarders should be experts by their first afternoon anyway... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Steve for the info...Smile
Cran, Gers drag sounds painful, but agrees, sometimes your best just trying the harder stuff to improve yourself...Smile) Thats why the kids are better than us oldies, they have no fear...Smile They'll have us down a black by the end of the week....Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all so much for updates. Was wondering how motorhome would be in the cold. Glad you were cosy. Is it still skiable down to Morillon village anyone know??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowmam, didn't do down to morillon village, but did down to vercland on saturday which is about the same level, fine until last little bit, so would think at least one of the runs is.

look on here later for DOINA and LABERIEU

http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/meteoconditions.php?station=morillon
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowmam, carroz, Did Cascades last Friday and snow was still excellent at the bottom in Sixt (765m), best I've known it. Of course that can change.......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowmam, Vercland is considerbaly higher than Morillon village (710 m ish) . I'm not sure, but my guess is around 1200 m or so Puzzled
snow conditions
Jivebaby, Vercland is just above the 800m contour lines according to my grand massif itineraires de randonnes map. The morillon runs are open according to the grand massif link.
latest report
billb, Did cascades on the monday after going down gers, have never done the link run before....makes the drag seem easy!! all that skating! cascades was beautiful (apart from the skating!!) and that was before the top up of snow, so it must have been excellent on Friday, i was not far from you in Gers most of the morning, the powder was very epic, just veret drag was shut which was a bit of a pain.
ski holidays
i might have to do cascades on Saturday before it goes super slushy! 2 days till take-off for me Very Happy
ski holidays
carroz, Yes, I missed out on Veret but my son did it. I decided against Gers in the end - I'm not much of a black run skier, never mind off-piste. I really would have struggled. Did Agate (parallel to Fred in Flaine bowl RHS) Friday pm though and that was my limit for a black. Fun though and glad I did it. Finished on Faust (as usual) which was truly superb. Ripped it all the way in the afternoon sun........
snow report
billb, Veret closed being a pain was the lack of access to gers without going to flaine and up a lift, (i.e queue for DMC) you duck the rope at the top of veret and come down into Gers that way, the powder is usually rather nice, had done it the previous sunday and it was not that tracked at the top and powder was very light, just a bit windblown. If you can do agate, you can do gers. Very Happy
snow report
billb, carroz, I agree with Carroz - Agate is no more tricky thank Gers. Gers is all OK - just the last little bit that gets a bit narrow - but nothing drastic. Which one is Veret? Is it the one half way down Tourmaline under the Grand Vans? It was open on Saturday (first time all week) and the weekend skiers were enjoying a powder fest.
ski holidays
Just got in from a day trip to Flaine.

Say it quietly but I do think the GM is my favourite ski area, and that comes from somebody who has a shack in Verbier and was in Meribel yesterday (a place that consistently underwhelms me)

The shady face at Veret was lovely and a taster of what was to follow....Gers.

OMG....I just love Gers.

The snow was about 20cm of chopped powder on a chalky base.
Just wonderful.
Stay on the shaded face and just enjoy the Good Stuff.

In all honesty why go anywhere else at all?

For the record....the rest of the pistes were almost perfect condition, not a hint of a stone, rock,grass. I've been to Flaine off and on for the last 25 years and thought I knew the place like the back of my hand....well this year they have put in a couple of "opportunistic" linking pistes in places that I have never seen them, places that normally never hold snow.

Yes it was busy, 99% French, but it is their peak school holidays.
Amazing that with all hose people there was hardly a soul in Gers....if that was in Verbier it would have been reduced to piste like conditions by yesterday lunchtime, yet in Flaine the Parisienns jus ski on piste and probably don't even know it exists!

The view from the Grand Platiers....is it the best in the Alps?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, It is a sight to behold on a clear day when Monsieur Blanc is in sight.
snow report
rungsp, Gers on friday when they opened it, had virtually no queues at all the the drag, and got first tracks all morning. Quite a few on the piste, but virtually none off it. Very Happy

stevo_the_saddler, yes thats the drag, then go over back into Gers. It was shut friday, so i looked at the face from gers with wistful eyes, and had to track around the bowl (which was very terrible...not!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz, Not been up there for years - may have to try that next time, is the route obvious and straight forward?
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Just got in from a day trip to Flaine.

The view from the Grand Platiers....is it the best in the Alps?

Quite possibly - I haven't been to any other French resort apart from ADH though. Last Friday it was blue and clear and the view was superb. You feel like you could jump across to the Aguile du midi and do the Valee Blanche.....
latest report
carroz, stevo_the_saddler, Gers still to do then - always good to keep one in reserve Very Happy
snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler, It is reasonably obvious (ish!) They way i go is left off drag for about 200 metres, duck rope, straight down for 100 metres (ish) then traverse right for quite a long way, then is straight down again, with a few traverse right to avoid rocky bits. It would be wise to do it with guide / instructor group first as thats how i learnt it, there are not really any big features to guide. It gets easier the more you traverse right...hence i traverse right, i am too old for the gnarly bits!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived yesterday, about 10C in Foret. Today colder, 3C at 3pm at bottom of DMC, -2C at top of Grands Vans. Snow got a bit soft late in afternoon, otherwise in good condition. Stayed in the Flaine bowl because there appeared to be a lot of low cloud elsewhere. Sky now clear, should freeze over tonight. Appeared to be a problem with the Vernant chair this afternoon. Will try and post as the week progresses.
latest report
Thanks Chris for update thought there was nobody there no posts since Wednesday. This time next week we'll be there... Can't wait... so will be reading your updates eagerly.
snow report
Just got back from 4 days skiing in Morillon. The skiing conditions were great, powdery snow, blue skies. It was still possible to ski all the way down to Morillon village yesterday (Saturday 25th Feb), there was quite a bit of ice at the bottom of the red. The bottom of Cascade was great to ski. There had been a bit of a snow slide just before the 30 marker which meant that everyone was walking a bit further than normal yesterday. I'd love to get to know that run a bit better, so that I could work out how fast I needed to go at strategic points to not have to walk! The best snow I encountered was probably on Marmotte, a lovely run down from Tete de Saix yesterday. It was really warm on Friday and Saturday, great for us, not great for the snow. Snow was starting to go a bit slushy late Saturday afternoon, I can't remember where but I can only think that it was near Morillon 1100, as that was were I was.
snow report
BinkiBelle, Marmotte in Samoens has been stunning when I have been there this season. The "mid point" which used to be a posted balck until 2 years ago is a great "speed" run and is a real rush as you hit the flat part at the bottom. Love Marmotte!
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, It's very interesting to know that it used to be posted as a black run. I'll tell my sisters, not knowing the ski area at all, and only being there for 3 and a half days we stuck to blues and reds, and didn't get to any blacks at all. I'd go back to the Grand Massif area. Still plenty to ski!
snow report
It was just a small part of it ( where it crosses dahu)
snow conditions
A tiny bit then! Marmotte was still my favourite run this holiday. We skied it on Saturday afternoon, it wasn't busy.
latest report
From there down to the flat (ish) bit
ski holidays
How is the snow holding up, still some good possibilities off piste?
I am going next friday to Flaine so I am very curious.
snow report
DELOO, The off piste was described to last night as being like marble - a very good description. Even late yesterday pm it was very hard in the bowl, so it really is not very nice. Did Cascades yesterday starting at about 11am. Very good cover right down to bottom with only very limited ice. 2 buses were arriving at once so only small queues for the bus back to Samoens/Morrilon. Tem at bottom of DMC at 4pm was 4C so snow is holding very well with only limited slushy bits were exposed to the sun. Another blue sky day today, so more of the same. Well, some one's got to do it!
latest report
Hi anyone got an update on Aup de Veran being in operation yet, out on the 10th so heres hoping
latest report
Im heading out to Morillon on Sunday and was wondering can you ski down to the bottom still and how is the snow in the whole area? Ice Sad? Or good snow I'm not expecting powder and any dumps forecast soon? Might as well be hopeful! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy