Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Jivebaby just before I started going to the GM, but after all the "doom and gloom" just before Christmas - this is turning into a bumper season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another great day again today. I recon perhaps another 10cm in places last night. Keeping very cold. Sunny up top, foggy mid station, and lightly snowing but clear below. Off Piste still light where you can find some. Pistes generally in great shape. Found some ice at the bottom of Velarge, but nothing that was concerning. The forecast is for -18 max tomorrow, so snow will stay in great shap. Hopefully heading over to the forests in Les Carroz tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some snaps from the last coupld of days.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't ski all the powder before I get there for a couple of days on Monday and Tuesday! Was thinking that Sixt might be the best place to find some untracked stuff, any other ideas?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty, Sixt can be fantastic after a real low level dump - worth a drive down to check.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster, Thanks for the pix, looking good. A week on Saturday for me snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ringmaster, fab pics! I'm going to GM in less than 3 weeks with my knitting circle (private joke!) numbering the pictures 1 to 7 could you say where they are taken? I don't know the area at all so any reference to descriptions also found on a piste map would be great. Thanks!
We are going for 4 nights and staying in Morillon Village. Binki x
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Poor resolution on my works computer but i would guess the pics are.
1 Top of Marmottes red coming off the top of Tete des Saix
2 Looking down to Morillon Biollaires chair left Lanche right
3 Looking across from Grand Vans towards Tete des Saix
4 Looking across to Corbalanche chair
5 Chair up from Samoens (may be Chariande)
6 New position from base of Molliets
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BinkiBelle, Before ringingmaster, answers - I wanna guess Happy
1. Top of Samoens - Marmotte (red) piste (Tete's de Sais)
2. Looking down Chamois (black) a little further on from first pic - view of Samoens 1600 if the cloud wasn't there
3. Harder... possibly Corbalanche (black) - heading towards Les Carroz/Morillon
4. Under snack bar (the give away) looking at the Corbalanche lift open off piste bowl towards Vernant (between Samoens and Flaine)
5. Les Mollietts Lift
6. Les Mollietts Lift near the car park
7. Les Mollietts info board

Am I right?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was posting at same times as ianbradders, (someone else who is up at silly o'clock) - interesting that our answers differ Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am wrong on No.5 I think... may be Morillion?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevo_the_saddler, its morillon, the sairon lift just after its left the lift station (4 man chair thats needs to be larger!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's snowing again Very Happy (So much for the blue sky day the forecast promised!). Sadly, I'm off to Italian climes for the next week, but the snow here is looking pretty good! Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow conditions are amazing, it was snowing again this morning, you can ski all the way down in to Morillon. The off piste is great especially off the top of the DMC. Very very cold so nothing is deteriorating fast.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow conditions are amazing, it was snowing again this morning, you can ski all the way down in to Morillon. The off piste is great especially off the top of the DMC. Very very cold so nothing is deteriorating fast.
ski holidays
Wow skiing to the village sounds great. My bro-in-law and nephew did that one year after a long snowday our last in resort. Unfortunately the snow had turned to rain halfway down and they ran out of piste had to hike the last few hundred metres carrying skis with no piste markings to guide them. We sat in Le Bon Coin laughing our a**es off. My nephew was so cross with his Dad we couldn't mention it for ages but we all laugh at it now including him. Will be interesting to see if he will chance it this year. We staying at 1100 so he won't know if it's snow all the way down unless he takes bubble down first. Really looking forward to it. Roll on March 4. Thanks for updates keeping dreams alive.
latest report
snowmam, It was good all the way down back mid Jan. In five trips to the GM have only been able to do it once before and that was patchy a lot of the way and a walk right at the bottom (where you are skiing through peoples gardens). Think thats where my new skis got a couple of scars where the stones are dragged across the three roads you cross.
1100 is only just lower than Les Carroz village.
snow report
A bit late for the photo quiz I know but as no-one has got them all yet......

Top of Samoens looking towards Morillon (the three posts a real give away)
Looking down from top of Samoens down the black. Old chariande chair to the left, Chariande express to the right
Top of Vermant, skiers left of the piste looking towards tete de Saix. Gullies straight ahead and left
From tete de Saix looking at Corbalanche lift. Croc blanc hut just peeping in
Not the sairon..its the slow chair that ends at the Igloo. Recognisable by the off piste playground below it
Base of Molliets cair looking up
Not sure where the meteo board is. Bottom of DMC with a temp inversion?

Of more importance. Why am I in the UK this week of all weeks? Back on Wednesday. Hoping to ske some uk off piste crud tomorrow.
ski holidays
Agreed about the third one - almost certainly. Just how hard is that couloir under the chair anyone? Say, compared with Gers.
snow report
billb, Its not that hard, snow is usually really good as it faces north. If you can do short turns in moguls than its fine, the more snow there is the easier it gets as it effectively gets wider. The bad bit is all the people on the chairs above! but it concentrates the mind, so you soon forget about them. Its like a narrow version of the bottom of gers on piste just before you get to the drag on the left, a tiny bit steeper and a bit narrower thats all.
snow report
If it is there Happy. That gully is ok. I did it for the first tenon January and did ok. Just steep and narrow, but longer than it looks when sitting on chair lift!
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
If it is there Happy. That gully is ok. I did it for the first tenon January and did ok. Just steep and narrow, but longer than it looks when sitting on chair lift!

All that face has good snow.

The gully directly under the chair is great if you ignore the abuse from above....remember that most of the abusers wouldn't go down it.

The gully further skiers right ie nearer the piste is just as good and has some tricky alternatives as you get lower.

The next gully left has a steep entrance and a dog leg. It ends in a nice bit of powder face that hardly gets skied.

All are good fun and a lot safer than the cahos often found on the piste.

Snowing in Bromsgrove. Nearly a mm on my car roof. Chaos expected.
snow report
I have never done the others!! the one under the chair is reasonably comfortable (ish) and i am not brave enough to attempt the others!!
ski holidays
Just got back from a great day skiing Samoens. Conditions were beyond belief fabulous everywhere. A bit chilly but the sun was out. Had a second weeker friend staying and she wanted to stay in the Massif area and what a good move that turned out to be. The area was empty - at 2.00 Damoiseaux (so much snow it is now a green run?) down to the Chariande Express literally had nobody on it and the main section of Marmottes on the back way down was the same. Similar story most places we went.

Happy days.
snow conditions
carroz wrote:
I have never done the others!! the one under the chair is reasonably comfortable (ish) and i am not brave enough to attempt the others!!

The one further right is no more difficult and you can opt to exit right half way down it to avoid the more difficult latter section. The one further left is more tricky with a bit of a drop in but the snow is soft and fluffy. Also if you make a meal of it (and let's face it we all do occasionally..or not so occasionally) nobody will be there to witness your shame. I like to have my yard sales in private.

An inch of snow here. Sledge at the ready. Considering getting out my 210cm K2 MSLs and rear entry Salomon SX91 equipes for a slide down the hill.
snow report
carroz, stevo_the_saddler, chrisheath, thanks for the info - I'll think about it when I'm there...... Gers is closed today according to flaine.com.
snow report
Just got the skis out for waxing but too damn cold in the garage. But looking at the blades (sorry, but we've had them for years) made me wonder about doing the couloir with them - well at least you can get short turns in but I guess there'd be even worse laughs from the chairs when I fell..... Embarassed
ski holidays
billb wrote:
Just got the skis out for waxing but too damn cold in the garage. But looking at the blades (sorry, but we've had them for years) made me wonder about doing the couloir with them - well at least you can get short turns in but I guess there'd be even worse laughs from the chairs when I fell..... Embarassed

Blades in deep soft snow. There's a thin line between bravery and madness........................
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gers is often closed after big snow. Avalanche prone.
latest report
chrisheath, LOL, I was assuming it gets packed down when enough people have skied it - I'm not really mad Laughing
latest report
billb wrote:
chrisheath, LOL, I was assuming it gets packed down when enough people have skied it - I'm not really mad Laughing

Not often, as it doesn't get that much traffic. The area immediately after the gully is also soft. Don't let that stop you though....just let me know when so I can be on the chair lift.

PS If you're going to have episodes of insanity, having them in skiboots is the best scenario in my books.

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Counting down to arrival Weds 8th Feb. How is the off piste snow holding up? Anyone know whether the Pas de Sales is in good shape?
latest report
chrisheath, Thanks for advice on the gully's, may give the one further over a try if i have a brave pill handy!

looking forward to 1/2 term, hopefully not all tracked out or it will be a week of little turns on piste and bumps
snow report
carroz, one of these days we will get to meet. I am in the GM at held term too!
latest report
Always happy to meet some like minded idiots and spend a day exploring the various ways down below the Vernant chair.......I never tire of that area. Few people, good snow, lots of variety and the little used Auberge de Vernant for refreshments.
snow report
chrisheath, Where is this underused restaurant and will it be quiet next week Happy ?
snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
chrisheath, Where is this underused restaurant and will it be quiet next week Happy ?

Underused is a relative term.

Arrive at base of Vernant chair Take blue/green past base of Corbalanche chair. Keep left down green option. Take left down no entry road. Whizz down said road and stop at Auberge on rt at base of Vernant chair

OR

Arrive at top of Vernant chair. Take off piste route under said chair and traverse for as long as possible keeping as high as possible. When all the cliffs below you have vanished, enjoy powdery descent through bushes and over stream (well bridged this year) to arrive at Auberge.

Starting to be sunny around lunchtime now. Reasonable food, usually not rammed, prices about average.
snow report
I know you might all think I'm being rather optimistic but I'm quite hopeful that next week won't be as busy as some half terms I've experienced. There is only one french zone off, not Paris, and no Dutch or Belgians, so fingers crossed! At least we know the conditions are great, I was there 2 weeks ago for a long weekend and despite very poor visibility the pistes were the best I've experienced in the GM for a long time.
I'm also very interested in the location of this underused restaurant, can't think which one that is Puzzled
ski holidays
skimum, If you were coming out of flaine and going back to les carroz, go up grand vans the fast chair lift to the top. Get off!! then you have a choice of two pistes, right at top takes you back to grand vans down a very busy blue, left takes you towards les carroz, samoens and morillon down another blue to where chrisheath, is taking about. Then as above

Arrive at base of Vernant chair (on the left fast chair back to top of where grand vans dropped you off) Take blue/green past base of Corbalanche chair.(with a moving carpet on the right, this chair takes you up to tete des saix) Keep left down green option. (don't go right as it takes you down portet to the new high speed) molliets chair lift Take left down no entry road. Whizz down said road and stop at Auberge on rt at base of Vernant chair

Its right next to the road up to flaine and a big car park across that road, to get back up you go up the chair lift that takes you back to corbalanche chair lift etc. (we had to download it last april when there was no snow!!)

Sorry chrisheath, for nicking loads of your text
ski holidays
I'm less concerned about copyright theft (it is a forum after all!) than working out if I will be able to:

1 Now get a table at the Auberge de Vernant packed when it's packed with Snowheads
2 Weedle a discount out of them for the free advertising

Not optimistic about the latter.

I also accept no responsibility whatsoever if it's full when anyone arrives. The only guaranteed restaurant with space is an al fresco picnic spot of your choice. I like the top of lindars nord...ski about 100m under the rope, anywhere far right on gers, sundry rocks high up off piste at Flaine or near the start of the corbalanche run.

Mind you I accept that getting juice out of your camelback can be a bit trying when its minus 20
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy