Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip report

Poster: A snowHead
I've just returned from my first ever ski trip, prior to the trip I did lessons at Chill Factore and spent a lot of time practicing, I picked it up really quickly and headed off optimistic that what I'd learnt would translate to the mountain.

During my first lesson on holiday the instructor said I was too advanced for the group (intermediate) and since there was no higher intermediate groups running I did a private lesson instead. The lesson gave me lots of confidence and by the third day I was skiing most reds and some easy blacks. I woke up on the 4th day and disaster - my right knee had swollen up to the size of a small melon - holiday over Sad

I spent the rest of the holiday in the chalet dosed up on ibuprofen with my leg elevated and iced. I have osteoarthirits in my right knee and my GP said that because cartilage acts as a shock absorber, my worn out knee might not be effectively distributing the stress of skiing, resulting in inflammation.

I really enjoy skiing and would definitely like to go again, but I'm fearful the same thing might happen. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to prevent this happening again would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They say snowboard is gentler for knees wink
or stick to well groomed and smooth pistes. After bumps and moguls I can feel me knees as well.
(but have to admit much less on the snowboard now than on skis in the past).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get youself a mojo. http://www.skiallday.co.uk/sm/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aye, the Ski Mojo is designed for skiers just like you.
If you enjoyed your skiing and want to go again, then i'd suggest getting one.

Also you probably pushed yourself a bit to far, it's not all about which colour runs you can do.
Steep reds and blacks can hammer even the strongest knees, especially when still learning and not having great technique .

hope you get back out there next season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's very fast progression - in spite of the pre-trip lessons and practice. I'd estimate that it takes quite a few weeks skiing with quite a few hours tuition to become technically proficient enough to start lessening the impact on the body through improved technique. Just MO, of course.

I've hear nothing but positive reports from people who have used the Mojo - people I've skied with whilst wearing one.

Did you do much physical prep before you went? Particularly muscles around the knee?

Good luck with the next trip snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mojo looks good, I'll definitely look in to it. Chasseur I cycle and run a lot, so my leg muscles are quite well developed. I suspect you're right regarding technique though. I have a tendency to lean back a bit and don't pivot my skis enough, resulting in too much skidding, which I don't think will be helping matters.

Once my knee returns to normal (fingers crossed), I will practice on improving my technique. I think I got a bit excited the day before my knee blew up and was probably a bit out of my depth.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
leaning back and muscling your skis around is a recipe for nackering your knees - definitely work on the technique and hopefully it will be less of an issue
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, you say you just got back so did you have quite a lot of fresh snow?

As a beginner, typically prone to skidding skis around, deeper snow puts a huge amount of twisting pressure on the knees.
Skiing on flatter, more solid surfaces the way pistes more usually are, would, I suspect, be far less traumatic, giving you a chance to refine your technique and get the skis working properly for you the next time you find yourself in deep snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have a tendency to lean back a bit

yep, as others have said - death to knees. My knees aren't great; after a hard day's skiing they are a bit swollen and puffy, and warm to the touch (through jeans Shocked ). I have moderately OK technique, most of the time, and my balance is generally good (because I feel it the moment I am a bit in the backseat, given my knee problems). BUT even so, I can't do more than one long hard day on the trot - one hard day has to be followed by an easy day, and I avoid bumps whenever possible - I'm not good at them. I've had lessons on bumps and can "get down", in that I'd very rarely fall, but I can't ski them well enough to make them enjoyable, so what's the point? I'd rather ski a red run well and fluidly and without knackering my knees than "get down" something harder.

Get more lessons to improve your technique and accept that someone with osteoarthritis of the knees just has to take care of them (I use prophylactic ibuprofen gel). And yes, get a Mojo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
justatheory, Did you fall day before? Do you remember hurting your knee? Seems a little strange to me. Do you mind me asking your age? Who diagnosed you with osteoarthritis and on what grounds? Do you have any history of knee problems? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
justatheory, I have the same thing. I am 52. My knees have been shot for years and the one I have had x-rayed has osteoarthritis and a cartilage problem as you have which I probably inherited from my Grandma. I am still skiing mostly without trouble.
Get some Physio and get the knee on the mend. When it feels right, no hurry, work on the quads (both legs) to strengthen them and obviously better technique will help too. Get yourself a knee brace (I used www.firstaid4sport.com) they are very helpful. It doesn't have to be that bad. Ibuprofen is helpful as is a ready supply of ice (or a handful of snow in a plastic bag) and heat (hot bath) to ease it off during holidays.
My Physio and Doctor have banned me from running and jogging. Great - I detest both! Cycling and rowing and walking are good.
Skiing in deep snow or porridge is knackering for knees. Like pam w, I have learned that I like skiing well better than badly. I also want to ski a full week, so if I'm going to do knee killing stuff I leave it till late in the holiday just in case! I fear this may be a middle aged (sensible?) attitude....but I want to ski till I'm 80+ like my Mum so preserving what's left of my knees is more important than hell for leather bumps!
BTW Replacement knees only last 10 years or so....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom W wrote:
They say snowboard is gentler for knees wink

Hey someone else other than me touting snowboards to people with shot knees! It's true though, it's easier on the knees than skiing - less twisting and the knee works in the direction it's supposed to move, with the muscles doing the work not the joints. As i've said before, i've met alot of people who took up boarding after knee problems compromised their skiing.
Come over to the darkside, we accept people who audibly creak. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory wrote:
don't pivot my skis enough, resulting in too much skidding, which I don't think will be helping matters.

Yes, skidding is actually rather hard work for the legs and knees.

Stay on the easier piste so you can take your time to let the ski do the work. Moving to steeper slopes too early, there's the tendency to use excessive skidding to slow down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My Physio and Doctor have banned me from running and jogging

I live overlooking a popular jogging route - a path between a tidal river and a mill pond. I see soooooooooooo many people who must be doing terrible things to their knees. Poor gait, knees pointing in entirely different direction from their feet, rather overweight. My knees ache just watching and beg me not to try it. I can reassure them on that score. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
patricksh, No I didn't fall the day before, I'm 34 and was diagnosed by an orthopaedic surgeon following a CT scan. I suffered with my knee for a couple of years before getting it checked. I suspect that playing a lot of football in my twenties was a contributory factor. Prior to the trip I did a lot of jogging and cycling and my knee felt really good.

I'm going to focus on improving my technique and take it a bit easier on my next trip. I'm also thinking getting my own boots might help.
snow report
Glad you're going back next year. My OH injured her knee this year and very pissed about it, so much so next years ski trip by no means guaranteed (but she'll come round)

The main problem may be amount of skiing you are doing while away. I struggle with this hugely. If I am away for just one week I want to ski as much as possible, like anyone. But I reckon anyone skiing hard all day every day will find that after a couple of days, their technique will start to suffer, and if you have any underlying problem there is increasing risk of something "giving out" like happened to you. Even very fit athletes will fatigue after a single day of hard skiing. Just like a fit runner will be stiff and sore the day after an unusually long run. You would probably be better off just taking it easier, take long lunches, call it a day early and have a jacuzzi. In your case your knee may not be able to take 8 hard hours every day for few days even if your technique is perfect
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy