Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Plagne/Champagny snow report 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
We are here for the week, it's certainly been very very cold. Snowing quite hard today but the forecast is for clear skies tomorrow for a while. It's my first visit and I am impressed . For half term week it's a nice quiet place to spend time with my family the two reds down to the village may give a beginner the sweats but you can always take the gondola down. Eating out tonight as its Barrelliski hosts night off. I can recommend them, the chalet is reasonable, food good but the icing has to be an indoor pool and two hot tubs, one in a meadow outside the chalet - all with awesome views. Anyone coming here is going to find plenty of snow although it's probably the same all over this year !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow is brilliant in most areas, the couple of inches today can only improve matters. you can ski all the way down to Monchavin, Montalbert (although at the bottom of Montalbert there is a lot of snow cannon snow (!!), they are piling it onto some of the most trafficed areas in Bellecote, too. Had a wonderful time down to Roche yesterday - perfect slopes and no bug on 'em - OK, they were at lunch to start with, but even so most seemed to prefer the way down on the left from Aime, take the right track and you can have a blast.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did the overnight snow freshen things up? Was there enough to improve the off piste skiing?

Frosty, Where did you end up for your meal out? Was it any good?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all,

After a very cold week last week the temperature has warmed up considerably.

Visibility good and the sun out today. A few icy patches right down low in Montchavin but other than that the snow conditions are excellent.

Forecast for the next couple of weeks seems to be promising with some snow top-ups but mostly clear and sunny.

Happy skiing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Real warm weather in La Plagne over the last 5 or 6 days - its taking it's toll in some of the well used junctions and it's getting slushy mid afternoon - all in all still cracking conditions to ski in. People were skiing in vests and tshirts in Plagne Centre today.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weather.com says tomorrow will be 15c ... w t f!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
heron, do not worry,there is still loads of snow Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy, I am relieved to hear that! Heading out to Plagne 1800 on Saturday, and am hugely excited.

How are the pistes around La Plagne at the moment? I gather there hasn't been much snow for a while, so hope the slopes are holding up well. Forecast looks like it's getting a bit colder at the weekend too which is good news.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a great day out today in amazingly warm weather - had lunch in a t-shirt at 1800m!!!

Lower down the snow is starting to feel a little slushy towards the end of the day because of the hot weather. The huge amounts of snow that we had at the beginning of the season have done the job though and most pistes are still in great condition with a brillient base.

Today was some of the best March skiing I've ever had - loving the sunshine!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got back from a great week at La Plagne, staying at Plagne Centre. It was a little too hot for me, only needing a fleece most days, but the snow was great all day and was plenty of places to go. Only thing that let it down were the queue's at Plagne Bellecote at the beginning and end of the day Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We also just got back this weekend from a brilliant week. Stayed in Plagne 1800 and conditions were great all week. As others have said, a bit slushy down at the bottom by the end of the day, especially towards Champagny, but overall the conditions were great with loads of snow on the mountain helped by a light dusting early in the week to keep things fresh. Given the large base laid down at the beginning of the season, I reckon there will be good skiing there for a while yet.

Relatively warm most days, but not as warm as this week's forecast looks. However, it made for perfect lunchtime beer weather!

Having made a day trip over to Les Arcs, where I went for a week last year, I've got to say that I prefer the skiing in Les Arcs overall, but really enjoyed my second trip to La Plagne. Such a shame I can only do one trip a year!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trip from Les Arcs today to La Plagne seemed a long haul up from the Vanoise Express but when we gother in v good some significant slush towards Champagny but hood coverage spent afternoon on the glacier superb runs back down to cable car far better the you would expect for the temperatures

15 years since last in La Plagne I'll somgood lift updates but others still there and past sell by date

Was disappointed that run from bottom of blues on glacier wasn't open have to come Back
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skichampcouk - Will you be out in Champagny next week? If so see you in the Pitchoun for happy hour. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I am out there from Sunday, see you soon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sent today in La Plagne again snow again good for the temperature did the run to La Roche around lunchtime it was a joy north facing runs on the Grande Rochette were good as well. Bar service in Solan back in Peisey rubbish
snow report
Hi all

Have just found an awesome deal for La Plagne 1800 through Lastminute for 14-19 April but I've never skied that late before-usually go start of Easter hols rather than the end. I know it's been warm and it's a month away but there's still plenty of snow from early season to keep things going. So to any La Plagne regulars...what's your gut feeling? If there was more of the same for another three weeks, would there still something to ski on??!!

Cheers-much appreciated.
ski holidays
snowhound, I'm not a La Plagne regular, but we skiied last year in Les Arcs during the first week of April. It was, of course, an atrocious year for snow and La Plagne (when we visited) was mostly brown or green with very little snow to be seen. La Plagne certainly seemed to be affected much worse than Les Arcs, but.... and this is the BIG but,.... there was still enough snow to have a great time. Slushy in places, not much off piste, but if you go with the right expectations and particularly bearing in mind the great base that exists, then I reckon you will still have a fab time. If it's that cheap, and an extra week of skiing, then go for it.
snow report
snowhound, There is some snow forecast from Sunday, maybe 15 to 20 cms which will refresh the pistes, the snow depths are currently 270cms at 3200 metres and 150 cms at 2000 metres. You normally have frequent snow showers in April which helps to keep the snow depths to a reasonable level. I can't imagine it all melting in the next 4 weeks.

We have skied in La Plagne for the last 9 years and normally the snow depths and conditons are good until around 20th April (some years the snow has been fantastic at the end of April when they closed the lift system). Last year was a terrible year and hopefully a one off.
latest report
Has anyone tried La Poya restaurant in Champagny since new owners took over? I believe the Lesourds have opened a new restaurant in Montchavin.
ski holidays
Cheers guys, have just booked for Maeva apartments in 1800. Was also thinking about a chalet in Tignes but we need to come back on the Thursday so that came out as a bit too expensive for 4 days skiing after adding on another transfer/flight midweek.
The Mrs might have a private lesson whilst we're there-any recommendations?

Thanks again
ski holidays
Hi all,

Had a great day out in La Plagne and Les Arcs today.

We had a few inches of fresh snow the day before yesterday and the pistes are in really good conditon. No icy bits where we were skiing but some slightly slushy down at the bottom of Montchavin. The base is holding up really well - best March conditions I've seen for a few years.

Warm and sunny today too!
latest report
Yesterday was a 'Powder Day!!' in La Plagne. A group of us went over to the Bellecote and what a great time we had. The sky was blue, but it was not to warm so we were able to make a route down the back of the Roche de Mio and then another in the Belleocte bowl putting fresh tracks everywhere we went while the snow stayed light and fluffy.

Then over the back of the Bellecote and down the classic route of the Petit North Face for almost 2000m vertical drop of fresh tracks from the entry point to the valley floor below.

Then a nice lunch at the Chaval at the bottom of the route by the cross sountry ski area. Finally heading back to Les Arcs in the afternoon. Check out the Les Arcs season thread for some great pics posted by allanm.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79067&start=1320
ski holidays
Hi all,

Went out for a lovely ski yesterday so thought I'd post a bit about the conditions.

We started the day on the les arcs side with the runs above Peisey/Vallandry which were in perfect condition in the morning - freshly groomed and lovely to ski on.

From there we headed across the the La Plagne side and up to the Roche de Mio. The gondela was busy with people chasing the highest snow, but as soon as we dropped down towards the top of the Champagny side the pistes were quieter and we had some lovely runs. Finshed with a trip down the tunnel run which was still in good condition, and pretty much deserted!

The base is still great with mostly natural snow, really deep after all the dumps we had at the start of the season. Starting to get a bit slushy in places towards the end of the day. Weather conditions were amazing - blue skies and really lovely warm sunshine.

Had a great day!
Heather
snow conditions
Hi folks, not strictly weather related (but an updatee wouldbe great) have the opportunity to come out for the Easter weekend but am worried I'll spend 4 days in queues, is it bad over Easter normally?
ski holidays
Standee, Nope.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, In Arc 1950 the boot fitter we bought from told me that Easter bookings in Les Acs are 30% down on last year. Not sure if he is right but even this week the place is much quieter than we experienced in mid January.
ski holidays
Hi Standee,

Easter is busier than an end of March week for example, but it is usually quieter than Christmas, New Year or Half Term.

There were massive snowfalls at the start of the season, laying down a great base so there are very unlikely to be any lift closures over Easter which is the thing that can sometimes make it feel a bit busy as everyone heads for the glaciers.

Overall I think it'll be a great week, and there is some fresh snow forecast - jump at the chance in my opinion!

Happy planning
snow report
Great conditions still to be found off piste:

Piste generally were very good too - even at 430 heading back to Vanoise Express the pistes down to Montchavin etc were in relatively good condition - I guess everyone must be skiing higher up?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, We have found it really, really quiet over Les Arcs and La Plagne. Quieter then when we were here mid January which is supposed to be the quietest week of the year.

Think also because the weather is so lovely maybe people are having nice long lazy lunches leaving the slopes empty?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, its certainly the quietest I have seen both resorts for a while... and normally both of them feel 'busy' to me even when they aren't particularly.
latest report
Yup, even I thought La Plagne was quiet today and I live in Sainte Foy!
snow report
thanks folks, have decided to take the offer up, we're driving down next Thursday night....can't wait!
snow report
stevomcd, now that is saying something!
snow report
Standee, How is it out there?

It looks good on the webcams this morning with a good layer of fresh snow on the higher slopes and 20 cms forecast for next Tuesday / Wednesday.
snow conditions
skichampcouk, Cold today with wind and light snow showers. Champagny only accessible by the bubbles now. IF it snows Tuesday it will be very welcome, quite a few pistes have now had their poles and markers brought in particularly in the Montchavin sector.
The snow forecast for yesterday/ today hasn't really happened yet.
Edit: Just beginning to snow quite heavily.

Lift/pistes hère
http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_lang=en&p_station=la-plagne&p_region=alpes&p_pays=france&p_stationformate=La+Plagne
ski holidays
It's here!

After a few days of light snowfalls and odd flakes, we had a huge dump last night!

The snow/rain level was around 500m so all of La Plagne had fresh snow, and quite a lot of it up top. Check out the Grand Rochette and Les Coches web cams here: http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/index.php/les-coches-information/resort-webcams-la-plagne-les-coches

Yay - off for a ski this afternoon for sure!!
snow report
Snow and Sunshine, any more news about the current conditions? I'm going to Belle Plagne on Saturday.
snow conditions
Walter-Spitty, I have been out there this weekend and the pistes were in superb condition. It was snowing lightly above 1400 metres all day Saturday and all of Sunday (at least until 3pm when I had to leave). I would say there was a couple of inches of powder on hard pistes on Saturday morning and between 3 to 5 inches of powder on Sunday morning. The pistes were in fabulous condition for this time of year and stayed that way throughout the day due to the cloud and relatively low temperatures. Visibility was OK most of the time and the pistes were very quiet. For me, a couple of the best days skiing of what has been an epic season.
I am out there for some of the last week of the season (up to 29th April) and am looking forward to another good week.
snow report
Walter-Spitty, I'm in Plagne 1800 right now. In a word awesome ! We arrived on Saturday and it hasn't stopped snowing since then, the downside is that visibility is appalling. But then you can't have everything.

Been out this morning and lapped the Blues and Reds above Plagne Centre and Aime, I've skied here in February and the snow conditions have been worse, seriously.

Yesterday we skied down to Montalbert and that was great, last stretch when you come out of the trees was soft but by no means slushy.

It looks to be clearing now and the forecast is for Sun tomorrow.
ski holidays
More snow is forecast on Thursday and Friday (20cms) with snow showers and relatively cold temperatures earlier this week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy