Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll - Ski Welt

Poster: A snowHead
It's that time of year again....lumbered with organising the gang on a skiing holiday. This year they've settled on Soll as their preferred destination.

I've skied the Ski Welt before so know the area fairly well, but I don't know Soll at all. Could anyone recommend a hotel/chalet suitable for a crowd of sixteen including two kids, four teenagers, a couple of party animals and some tired old fogeys (that's me at the end of the day - I just need somewhere comfortable to sag with a beer or two!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homphomp, If you want to stay in the centre and walk to the ski lifts (still a 5 min walk but not too bad) then we really liked the Hotel Feldwebel. Food was pretty good and the rooms were very comfortable and some quite large. It is staggering distance to the Whiskey Muhle and opposite the Postwirt which has a more comfortable bar which has bands etc. The hotel bar is nice too. The bus stops outside for the non-ski boot walkers. There are other hotels e.g. which have a disco in the basement and a pool (Hotel Tyrol) but it is on the edge of town and further away from the ski lift.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to add - if you go onto www.skiwelt.at you can see pictures of the hotels. There is also a cosy bar just behind the hotel which I think is called the Dorfstubl.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All I can say is DON'T stay in the Eggerwirt!!!!!!!!

We went to Soll in march and loved it, but the service in the Eggirwirt was crap and we had pork for dinner every bloody night!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, Thanks for the advice....as a veggie I need something other than pork!

hayley t, Will check out the Feldwebel, nice to have a recommendation....the main problem will be getting everyone to agree - they're an argumentative bunch!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi homphomp, I go to Soll on a regular basis and I always do it independently. Fly to munich, Train to kufstein,taxi soll.
Train fare 20 euros return,taxi 25 euros. Time from my house to resort 6 hours. I now stay at the manorhaus apartments. British run and they're new. website www.manorhaus-apartments.com . If that's no good to you try the post hotel expensive but very good. When are you going by the way?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-08-05 7:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Away from the town centre, but close to the drag lift that links up to the gondola from Soll, is the Hotel Garni Bergland (sp?). Stayed here 3 or 4 years ago and had a wonderful holiday. Incidently, one of our party was a vegetarian - ( stereotypical maybe ), but normally this does present some problems in Austria - and she was very well looked after indeed by the owner/chef. I think the operator may have been Crystal, but my memory is somewhat Merlot affected right now ! Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Soll last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. You can ski over to other villages like Westendorf. Its a very pretty area too. I didn't think much of the ski school though, but that was mainly because the instructor was a cocky 18 year old guy who, although a very good skier, was much too immature to be an instructor - he wasn't interested. We felt he was more like a mountain guide - he didn't actually teach anything - we just followed him all over the mountain.

That aside, Soll and the Ski Welt is really good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clive ward, whereabouts are the Manor Haus apartments? they've got a village map on the website but it doesn't seem to show where they are.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The whole point of going to Soll is because of the apre-ski being an integral part of the hol' so therefore you need to be in the centre of town The walk to the lifts isn't bad and it is a flat walk anyway..!! Good value hotels I seem to recall but I can't remember the names..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FENLANDSKIER, They are on Dorfbichl,2 mins walk from centre.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, I guess it's who you get in the ski school that matters, pretty much like anywhere else. I had a local lad in his 30's called Harry and it was the best weeks ski school I've had. He seemed to really care about teaching all of us new stuff and having fun doing it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clive ward, Thanks for the travel advice...I'll see what they think, that said they are a nervous bunch and we have yet to persuade them that independent is the way to go! Not sure if the Manorhaus would suit though as the group is now 18 & rising....

Is there only the one ski school? Can anyone recommend an instructor or two - a good few of the gang are planning on lessons this time out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, when I stayed in the Hotel mentioned above ( Garni Bergland (sp?) there was a Ski School office on the ground floor of the Hotel. My wife recieved excellent tuition here.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, There used to be two ski schools in Soll but sadly the owner of one died in 2004 whilst skiing off piste and I think there is now only one. I have had lessons from a few of the instructors and would recommend Jenny, Clive (not me!) and the above mentioned Harry. Jenny and Clive are both English which can obviously help although Harry does speak excellent English and is a very good instructor. The Manorhaus could handle 18 easily as there are six apartments, two of which sleep six. When I had a query about the capacity of the apartments they emailed me a plan of them which was handy. However, you're right, 18 people going independently could be a logistical nightmare! PS What time of year are you thinking of going?
snow report
homphomp,

I would book the hotels for them on a 2-3 bed room situation at a 3*, HB, minimum. Get committments and deposits and then leave them to arrange flights or travel etc. Otherwise, you might just as well go with a TO. Soll always used to be very good value for money as regards hotels but it has been a long time since for me...
18 and rising is a handful to do all yourself independently...!!! Dates and hotels should be enough...!!
snow conditions
Hi homphomp,
I have been a couple of times to the Ski Welt and most heartily recommend the Hotel Christoph at Ellmau ( just down the road from Soll). I have been there a couple of times with a group of friends and briefly, the rooms are big, the buffet restaurant serves excellent food and local wines are included in the cost at dinner. Have a look at www.hotel-christoph.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy