Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar ski train now on sale for 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Eurostar have today put on sale the direct ski trains from London St Pancras or Ashford to Moutiers, Aime La Plagne or Bourg St Maurice.
The service runs from 17th December 2011 to 14th April 2012 and fares start from £149 return. I just had a quick look and February half term and Christmas week were still available.

See this link for more details: http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=1717&source=epromotion_july_2011_direct_ski

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-07-11 11:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tickets booked, great way to start the ski trip...relxing and hassle free and only a short transfer at the other end!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm, still cheaper with Easyjet Confused One day I will get the train!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:
hmm, still cheaper with Easyjet Confused One day I will get the train!

It's not all about the direct cost though. If you get the Friday evening train from London you can be in resort for first lifts on Saturday morning. Then at the end of the week get the Saturday evening train back home, you're in London for Sunday morning. Bingo, you've just bought yourself two extra days of skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dav, just book a flight friday and saturday??? it still works because ive done it. Easyjet Liverpool -> Geneva. Leave Friday at 6.55am, in resort for 12pm, afternoon on the slopes. Coming home book a flight leaving Geneva at 8pm ish. Ski all day, back to the chalet shower then transfer. All this for less than £100 return, compared to a train at £300 return. Dont get me wrong i would love to do it by the train as it would be nice to see france. But a £200 price difference for something that takes 6 hours longer??? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, you wouldn't see much of France as the train is overnight - but you do save the hotel cost.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really very informative post. I want explore France in next month. Hope the direct ski trains from London St Pancras will be better for me to enjoy my holidays.
I think Eurostar Booking is available online.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eurostaar don't have couchettes, I still prefer the option of going Eurostar Friday late afternoon (and early Sunday morning to return) and transferring to/from the French trains. I'm too old to sit up all night. In that case Eurostar is available 120 days before travel and French trains 90 days. Last year the French trains went from Gare de Lyon (2 stops on the RER) but it seems like this year they go from Gare Austerlitz (8 stops line 5 of the Metro)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 26-07-11 11:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually the price is "From £149 rtn" not each way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, I have edited the original post. I have had another quick look at fares and the £149 return fare is available for the quiet weeks, it was available for the last week in March (24th to 31st). The cheapest February half term fare is now £169.50 each way or £339 return.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, the cheap tickets for popular times go VERY quickly.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, +1, if I lived in SEast I'd be in the car every other weekend via Tunnel or train, EJ our only real option from the frozen north (not cold just ignored by the government re infrastructure for many a year) for a long weekend eh?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skichampcouk, Just had a look to see if I could do a Easter weekend via Bourg St Maurice, say to Les Arcs etc, and followed the link and on various dates around Easter it wouldnt recognise my request, and said not available?? Does it only run on certain days or does that mean its fully booked, I couldnt see a timetable link anywhere?

Can you help?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i got some at 169 return for Jan

boredsurfin, easyjet has raised their ski carriage and charged me £50 for skis last trip so if i am taking equipment there isnt much in it anymore....

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 26-07-11 13:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, The direct Eurostar ski train only runs on Friday Night or Saturday morning out and returns either Saturday morning or Saturday night.
snow report
Markymark29, I think it only runs on a Friday night and Saturday morning on the outward journey and Saturday morning or Saturday night on the return journey. Going out on 31st March is currently from £169.50 one way, returning on 7th April is from £118.50 one way
If you want to travel by train for a long weekend you would have to take the eurostar to Paris and then change there for the train to Bourg St Maurice.
However the French train service is usually only bookable 90 days in advance.
Easyjet flights have just been issued for next Easter and currently are a lot cheaper than taking the train, as has been mentioned by others on this thread.
snow report
skichampcouk wrote:
Easyjet flights have just been issued for next Easter and currently are a lot cheaper than taking the train, as has been mentioned by others on this thread.

Including all the supplementary extra's they charge you for bags, ski carriage, extra weight, picking a seat, checking in, debit card fee etc.

.... not forgetting Easyjet charge you a tenner to fart these days, and even then only if you pre-book on-line, it's double if you want spontaneously break wind at the airport or on board. Toofy Grin
latest report
On a more serious note, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Saturday day-time train. My eldest will be just turned 4 and I think it would work well.
My only concern is my youngest will be 1.5 at the time.
Problem is he's quite mobile and active, and 8 hours stuck sharing a seat with me or wife might be a nightmare. We could of course pay for a seat, but that does make it quite signficantly more expensive than flying BA. We could gamble and hope the train isn't full so that no one takes the 4th seat in the bay, and then he'd have his own seat, but even then he'll be wanting to up sticks and wander around constantly.

Has anyone any experience of the day time train with a toddler ???

Actually another thought, he'll still need a daytime nap, is there usually space to stick a pushchair somewhere so we can lie him flat for his sleep ?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-07-11 13:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

.... not forgetting Easyjet charge you a tenner to fart these days, and even then only if you pre-book on-line, it's double if you want spontaneously break wind at the airport or on board.

I thought it was only Ryanair who charged you to fart Puzzled
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
On a more serious note, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Saturday day-time train. My eldest will be just turned 4 and I think it would work well.
Problem is he's quite mobile and active, and 8 hours stuck sharing a seat with me or wife might be a nightmare. We could of course pay for a seat, but that does make it quite signficantly more expensive than flying BA. We could gamble and hope the train isn't full so that no one takes the 4th seat in the bay, and then he'd have his own seat, but even then he'll be wanting to up sticks and wander around constantly.

Has anyone any experience of the day time train with a toddler ???

Actually another thought, he'll still need a daytime nap, is there usually space to stick a pushchair somewhere so we can lie him flat for his sleep ?

I'd maybe suggest you count how long your day will be if you fly and compare that to the train time. When you consider your relative journey times to the airport/train station; check in times and wait before the flight/train/; actual journey time to airport/train station; waiting around for baggage at the airport; coach transfer to resort. Depending on your location, it may be the total times are not all that far apart.

Also, with a child, surely being on a train an able to move around a bit is preferable to a plane / coach where you have to sit in your seat at all times? Of course if you get a hire car that negates that idea.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Eurostaar don't have couchettes, I still prefer the option of going Eurostar Friday late afternoon (and early Sunday morning to return) and transferring to/from the French trains. I'm too old to sit up all night. In that case Eurostar is available 120 days before travel and French trains 90 days. Last year the French trains went from Gare de Lyon (2 stops on the RER) but it seems like this year they go from Gare Austerlitz (8 stops line 5 of the Metro)

Where have you got the information that the station has changed from Gare du Lyon to Gare d'Austerlitz? I assume by French trains you mean the TGV to Bourg St.Maurice etc as opposed to night trains. As I thought the night trains have always run from Gare d'Austerlitz.
snow report
Dav wrote:
I'd maybe suggest you count how long your day will be if you fly and compare that to the train time. When you consider your relative journey times to the airport/train station; check in times and wait before the flight/train/; actual journey time to airport/train station; waiting around for baggage at the airport; coach transfer to resort. Depending on your location, it may be the total times are not all that far apart.

Also, with a child, surely being on a train an able to move around a bit is preferable to a plane / coach where you have to sit in your seat at all times? Of course if you get a hire car that negates that idea.

Yes agreed total time is comparable. And with the 4 year old I think the train would be great - no airport faff and he can sit and play with cars/toys/etc on the table, do some colouring, then go for a wander with me to the buffet car and back etc.

It's the 1.5 yr old that worries me - too young to have learnt no means no, still at the exploratory stage and getting little fingers everywhere they shouldn't, unsteady on the feet on a fast moving train so to young to do much wandering about, and therefore compounded mainly to the carriage seat for 8 hours. Plus infants don't get their own seat (unless you pay or the train has some spare seats) so potentially they are stuck on your lap for 8 hours.

With the flying option there is at least a change of scene every couple of hours- car set to airport, pushchair on the transfar bus transit, can then have a pootle about the concourse after we've checked bags in, can wander around the departures lounge to burn off some energy. So really only then couped up on our lap on the plane for 1hr 30 mins to geneva, and can then have a tootle about in the baggage arrivals. Then car seat for minibus transfer to resort. ie. the journey is a faff but it;s broken up into parts, which gives the little one a break.

I just wonder if 8 hours on one carraige might be too much ? Views gratefully received of anyone who has done the train with a young toddler.
ski holidays
Christopher wrote:

Where have you got the information that the station has changed from Gare du Lyon to Gare d'Austerlitz? I assume by French trains you mean the TGV to Bourg St.Maurice etc as opposed to night trains. As I thought the night trains have always run from Gare d'Austerlitz.

No, I meant the night train. I took it last year and it had changed to Gare de Lyon.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, +1, if I lived in SEast I'd be in the car every other weekend via Tunnel or train, EJ our only real option from the frozen north (not cold just ignored by the government re infrastructure for many a year) for a long weekend eh?

I agree. But even if you lived near London for the Eurostar, your still near to Gatwick which can get you to Geneva in 1 hour ish??? For us Northerners to do the train option, we would have to spend £100 minimum getting to london Euston, then get to St Pancras somehow, then an expensive train to the alps which takes 3 times longer, and cost's 3 times more than a flight with easyjet? If money and time was no option then yes i would do it, but personally i would prefer to fly! Just my opinion but logically and financially it is much easier.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, agreed, for those of you "oop north" it's probably much better to fly.

However, there are clearly some good deals which for us Southerners make the train a very realistic proposition. There are prices available for January which are £150 for a return, so your "costs 3 times more than a flight" is not really accurate in all cases. So long as you can carry your own bags, you can take your own skis on board for no extra charge, so really the cost can turn out pretty similar compared to flying. And you get the bonus of attempting to get your head down for the evening (granted not in ideal conditions). When you consider total time of flight check in, wait for baggage and transfer the other end, can you really say it's a journey time of 3 times longer? And does that matter if its an overnighter? In any case, for a 6am flight you're talking about getting up at 2am or 3am, so you're going without much sleep, and you miss out on the morning of skiing, which you can do with the train.

Also, for those who like to go through a TO, the train is also possible and they'll pick you up direct from the train station and drop you at your accommodation.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, I have managed to get to resort for the meagre price of £158 from Leeds to Serre Chevalier using the train.

Breakdown of costs:
Return taxi trips to station - £10
Leeds - London return with East Coast - £18 return
Eurostar - £65 return
TGV return to Oulx, italy - £50 return
Bus to resort - £15 return

It is a long journey, but I would suggest that the train can be done for a good price. I've also done got a similar price when going to Les Arcs via Bourg St.Maurice using the train. Much prefer the nature of train travel compared to waiting round airports for hours.
snow conditions
It's reasonably straightforward for me to get to St Pancras and I find the Eurostar the best way to get to my place in Les Arcs: less stressful than all the pfaffing about with airports and transfers, and more relaxing than driving. Door to door the Eurostar service is about 2 hours longer than flying and about 2 hours quicker than driving. Cost wise it's probably the cheapest way for me to get to Les Arcs if I'm travelling by myself, especially with the hike in flights and car hire prices in the last couple of years.
latest report
Christopher wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, I have managed to get to resort for the meagre price of £158 from Leeds to Serre Chevalier using the train.

Breakdown of costs:
Return taxi trips to station - £10
Leeds - London return with East Coast - £18 return
Eurostar - £65 return
TGV return to Oulx, italy - £50 return
Bus to resort - £15 return

It is a long journey, but I would suggest that the train can be done for a good price. I've also done got a similar price when going to Les Arcs via Bourg St.Maurice using the train. Much prefer the nature of train travel compared to waiting round airports for hours.

Leeds to London for £18 return? Did you sit on the roof? Shocked !!
Eurostar for £65!!! The cheapest at the minute is £50 return.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
It's reasonably straightforward for me to get to St Pancras and I find the Eurostar the best way to get to my place in Les Arcs: less stressful than all the pfaffing about with airports and transfers, and more relaxing than driving. Door to door the Eurostar service is about 2 hours longer than flying and about 2 hours quicker than driving. Cost wise it's probably the cheapest way for me to get to Les Arcs if I'm travelling by myself, especially with the hike in flights and car hire prices in the last couple of years.

Fair point. If your saying you can do it cheaper than flying then yes i would certainly do it. But for us "norfeners" it simply is to expensive and to long.

Just out of interest. What is the flight time from any South Coast airport to Geneva, must be no more than 1 hour???
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, indeed, getting to St Pancras will add time and cost to the package, so a local airport is probably the best option for you. I live close to Heathrow but the journey in to central London to get the Eurostar is still the preferred option for me under certain circumstances.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Just out of interest. What is the flight time from any South Coast airport to Geneva, must be no more than 1 hour???
Bit longer than that IIRC, more than 1hr 20m. Then factor in another hour to circle Heathrow waiting for a landing slot...
latest report
[quote="Gazzza"]On a more serious note, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Saturday day-time train. My eldest will be just turned 4 and I think it would work well.
Problem is he's quite mobile and active, and 8 hours stuck sharing a seat with me or wife might be a nightmare....

For the other passengers unlucky enough to be in the same carriage! Strikes me as close to child abuse - how is a kid so young supposed to cope with an 8 hour train journey? By air it's only an hour or so, but again with the noise and changes in air pressure make it not a great experience at that age. The best way is to drive and stop overnight somewhere. That way you can have a break when you or the kids need to and you don't subject the rest of the world to the likely wails of bored, tired children.
snow conditions
[quote="dw832"]
Gazzza wrote:
Problem is he's quite mobile and active, and 8 hours stuck sharing a seat with me or wife might be a nightmare....

For the other passengers unlucky enough to be in the same carriage! Strikes me as close to child abuse - how is a kid so young supposed to cope with an 8 hour train journey? By air it's only an hour or so, but again with the noise and changes in air pressure make it not a great experience at that age. The best way is to drive and stop overnight somewhere. That way you can have a break when you or the kids need to and you don't subject the rest of the world to the likely wails of bored, tired children.

Im getting the popcorn. This could be fun.

ski holidays
No popcorn needed, nothing to see here.

It was either a poor attempt at wit lowered to a new nadir with the child abuse reference, or a fine demonstration of half-wittedness.
I think probably the later.
rolling eyes
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, It is all about booking at the right time. As soon as the tickets go on sale for the TGV and Eurostar and I literally mean the first hour of sale for the PREMs tickets that are dirt cheap compared to what they increase to once the qouta has been sold. There are loads of cheap tickets at the right time i.e. early morning and late evening for a good price for Leeds to Kings X. I did forget to add that it was a young persons railcard, which does take the cost down but not by more than 30% I think. 2 advanced singles one costing £10 and the other £8.

The Eurostar train times were reasonable aswell leaving at 10:30ish and returning at 16:30.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/exclusive-web-discount/
snow report
You can also book internal-UK train tickets through Eurostar that are only available if you have already booked Eurostar tickets; they're comparable to the cheapest advance tickets in price, but with a smaller pool of people trying to buy them. Travelling out of peak season in the past, I've done Newcastle to Kings X for £9.90 each way. Total journey time was about 12.5 hrs from Newcastle to BSM, if we flew Newcastle to Geneva and then got a transfer, its probably 8 or 9 including @rsing around at the airport, transfers, etc. You pays your money and takes your choice, but I do like the train!

The only drawback is being in standard class at the wrong end of the train for the station and hauling your gear along BSM's pretty uneven platform!
ski holidays
Jamster wrote:
The only drawback is being in standard class at the wrong end of the train for the station and hauling your gear along BSM's pretty uneven platform!
Especially if you then double back on yourself to walk to the footbridge that takes you to the funicular! Laughing
latest report
Gazzza, IME young ones tend to go off to sleep better on a train than a plane and with a longer journey, you're less likely to find you're 'coming into land' just as he dozed off.

Have you considered the night sleeper-train? Our kids always loved it.

Get the Eurostar to Paris = 2h15
Get a cab to Gare d'Austerlitz (Metro's easy but maybe not so much fun with an 18mnth old)
Get a meal in at/near G d'A.
Sleep your way to the mountains.

The sleeper leaves just before 11PM. The couchette beds are really cheap if you get them when they're first released and as long as the missus isn't huge, the little one would fit on her bunk. Actually, putting both the kids on one bunk is probably the best plan, although the 4 yr old is bound to want to go on the top bunk (IME) which wouldn't be suitable for the little one.
Alternatively, 1st class couchettes aren't a lot more expensive and have only 4 beds instead of 6. You could book the lot and have your own private, family room.

The opinion across our family is that it's the most fun way to get to the mountains and there's the bonus of extra days in the mountains too snowHead
snow report
admin, this thread is reminding me to go and double check when tickets will go on sale for the PSB journey Happy I'll post that over on the other thread, as there's a couple of others who'll need to book as well.
snow conditions
Ok, the 'child abuse' reference is admittedly over the top - apologies, but otherwise a serious point.

I've been on nightmare journeys with children screaming, running up and down the aisles, throwing food around... whilst their parents are oblivious to the hassle being caused to all around them. Everyone else in that carriage will be off on their hols too. If you misjudge how well your little one is going to cope with the journey it's not just you that it affects - they have a lousy start to their holiday. That's why in my opinion the fairest way to travel with really young ones, for them and other passengers, is by car.

Am I being excessively grumpy? I don't think so - it's just about consideration for others.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy