Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach beer prices.

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry guys for asking such a base question but anyone recently returned?
What is the going rate for a beer in town and on the mountain?

Returned 2 weeks ago from another place in Austria and think the beer was cheaper than last year! Hoping this is the case for Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach has some of the cheapest on mountain beer I've come across in the Alps. E2.90 at Thurneralm.

http://www.thurneralm.at/index.php?lang=de&page=home
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roughly speaking expect uk pub prices. Prices obviously vary between places but you won't feel ripped off.
As opposed up the €12 for a half litre I was charged on a bar hut above Courchevel 1850 a few weeks ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, we did have a couple in there one lunch last year but never realised it was an apres place to any real extent. Gentle run all the way back to Saalbach from there as well if i remember correctly.
kamikaze, Is that for real? Havent been back to France skiing since 2009 because of the prices. That was only the Grand Massif not an expensive area relatively speaking, but way overpriced then. I thought it couldnt get much more expensive but that is rediculous.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't remember exactly 'cos we usually just whack it on a tab, but not expensive. The Goatsstall was pretty cheap too, with their coin things a pint worked out at 2 euros, athough me might have got the coins cheaper being workers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I thought it couldnt get much more expensive but that is rediculous

some places in Courchevel are just very pricey - and it's hard to tell until you look at the price list. There's certainly no need to pay that sort of price, even in Courchevel. It's a bit like going somewhere like Venice - a drink which will cost a couple of euros in an ordinary sort of place could easily cost 12 at beside the Grand Canal. There are some very expensive bars in London too - I suppose you just need to think before you drink.

2.90 for a large beer certainly sounds like a bargain. Twice that in most French places, I'd say. I get mine from a supermarket - a white beer on my terrace in the sun tastes just as good as it does in a bar, and cheap as chips.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, we never got to the goatstall last year, what do you mean by the coin thing?

pam w, i agree it is more about the company you are with. some how though my friends seem to enjoy dancing on tables in ski boots singing eisbaren.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ianbradders, I've only been a few times 'cos it's over in Hinterglemm, wrth the effort though 'cos it's a great bar. Basically you buy 'beer tokens' at the entrance, one coin = one beer (or drink, can't really remember lol, think schnaps and jaeger was the same...) - which works out at 2 euros each. It could have been some sort of workers deal though, not sure, but they took our names down at the same time and I can't imagine they do that with every single customer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can vouch for those prices at salbaach especially the thurneralm. In fact that place has one of the best fireside tables you could ever eat their great food at, on the left side of the restaurant.
I'm in reith Im alpbach right now and off to mayrhofen later, all drinks everywhere all seem to be 3.5 euros.

The problem I find with going to Austria is that I generally spend a lot more money than when I go to France. This is because it is usually so much cheaper in most places and you find you don't mind having that lunch and après drinks everyday. As opposed to when your in those mega resorts that every one always goes to ( myself included) Where because it's so dear you might take a packed lunch on some days and squeeze all your après into happy hour!,
And who wants to drink all their beer on the apartment terrace everynight?
All in all though I know where I have a much better total holiday expeirience and that's why I'm in Austria now!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
daveqpr, i concur, i have vowed not to go back to France skiing until they get real with the prices. Although i cant see it happening, so goodbye France and thanks for the 15 years of skiing. When i am on holiday i dont want to be questioning if i should strtch to a beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daveqpr, ianbradders, -absolutely agree - that's why I will be back to Austria next Saturday. We were based in Kaprun in January and skied Zell,Saalbach/Leogang and Kaprun itself and on average large beers were around the 3.30 mark although we did find a mountain hut on the Maiskogel area just above Kaprun charging 2.90 for a large Stiegl Salzburgerland local beer that is cheaper than a pint of Stella in my local at £3.20.
I will go back to France in the summer to the Vosges mountains near Strasbourg for Mountain biking and some great fell walking. I have found that here they do not have the rip off mentality that is prevalent in the French Alpine resorts.It is a shame as we have had some great ski trips in the past to the 3 Valleys and Val d'isere/ Tignes and I would never deny that the ski-ing itself is very special - although Ischgl and the St Anton areas are very comparable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
went there a few weeks ago, Hinterglemm, paid 2.80 for a small beer and 3.50 for a big one. France is a rip off, I paid 8 euros last year in Les Houche for a hot choc and rum for the missus Shocked Never again
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have only ever skied in Austria, went to Lofer the last 3 years and hope to return again for New Year. We are a family of 2 adults & 4 kids and I love how far our spends will stretch. We went to france for a week in summer and swore that we will never take a ski trip to France. Beer & eating out was so expensive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ischgl and the St Anton areas are very comparable.

but the beer's not at Saalbach prices....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just returned from Saalbach and found the beer prices very reasonable. Bobby's Bar in the town centre sells a large beer for 2.20 Euros between the hours of 16:00 and 18:00. Normal price is 3.40 Euros which is still very reasonable.
latest report
Happy hour at the Bergeralm (just below the Thurneralm) is 3.30 to 4.30pm - Two drinks for the price of one works out at 2 euros per large beer. Watch out for people crashing on the way down!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy