Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
saw a slab avalanche let go today just near the top of coqs chair
<snip>
I checked later and no-one was hurt thankfully.

heard today that the info I had yesterday was incorrect, one girl was hospitalised but should be home by now
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, Yes, she was buried for around 10+ mins so quite a worrying time for all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, thanks, heard that as well today.

bluebird powder day today! temperature inversion layer meant it was cloudy as high as the top of bergerie, above that it was cloudless and sunny, albeit very cold - -15c at 8am! According to our chalet-mates, the carafe of wine on the balcony froze solid. Skiing conditions have been great though and we got some super powder turns at the side of the black run off the glacier, Shame it's all over now, home tomorrow Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the Les Arcs thread

rob@rar wrote:
The start of N&I Week* sees the pistes much busier today than they were last week, but not much in the way of lift queues and it's fairly easy to find quieter slopes by avoiding the main runs nearest the4 villages. Lots of hardpack snow on the buy pistes, but good conditions elsewhere. It's been overcast since mid-morning, so feels a bit colder than the -5 degrees it's been at 1800m.

* Nutters & Idiots

Exactly the same for La Plagne Sad
Particularly noticeable in Bellecote, why do they insist in all trying to get on the lifts as soon as their lunch break is over and at the same time as the ski schools. Oh how we smiled. (There are plenty of ways of avoiding the Bellecote bottleneck)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hear that the cable car from Roche de Mio needed 30 people evacuating yesterday with a rappel of about 70m. Is this ugly rumour or something we're all keeping quiet about?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW, It has been showing as closed for the last two days and no mention of ropes at Happy Hour last night but if you want a rumour started snowHeads is a good place to start it from wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW, Not a rumour, all true .....
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#28_12_10
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I heard about that today as well when I got up on the mountain. They use to have the ski club race kids do this for fun as training. Good to hear it works. Sounded fun Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfing, hi im new to the forum and struggling to get head around so any pointers would be brill, but do know if you post a comment you can can then track that thread. i have recently been in touch with Snowcrazy (thanks bud), anyway i am familar with Montchavin with the various couloirs and forests. i have been out for the last 3 weeks and am familar with the run from Aime 2000 back down to 1800. it appears to struggle to keep good snow cover as mostly closed, however if you pop off down the side its fine! onto the new Derochoir Piste, if i am correct this is from the lowest point below the mid station on the Glacier where there is a lift, it is/was an Itinery run, you will will end up in the Montchavin Secteur where you will come to a lift with Michelin Star restaurant by it. i have used this route as a Plan B back to Montchavin (as thats my ski base) or you can get back to Vanoise down a round - its not all downhill so a bit a hard work is required.

anyway was out for 3 weeks saw some sights in relation to avalanches, with a person being dug out with deployed ABS bags (waist/chest deep), some blasting with controlled avalanches. so please ski safely!

one sight i saw was off the back to La Roche last week, so after the deaths of 4n in Val d'Isere, was a guide with a party who, in my opinion, had not been briefed properly as they were skiing and stopping together but worse as intermediates did not appear to competent enough to ski the terrain. sorry if i appear to be going on and don not want to cause any offence.

so that is it, any pointers to use the forum would be great, cheers for now and BON SKI!!!! Blush
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roche1800, Nice to see you have found a home to post about your side of the VE. Many of us from Les Arcs spend as much time over in La Plagne as we do in Les Arcs.

Just a few extra points about some things that have been mentioned.

The Restaurant Chalet de Friolin by the lift is not a Michelin Star place unless this is very, very new, we were there last week. It took them more than 20 minutes to come and serve us (group of 7), not very good and in the end we had to cancel our order and leave inorder to have plenty of time to get back to VE and over to Arc 1950 with slower skiers in the group. The new management need to get there service sorted out before this place can be recommended to those coming over on the VE. If I do get to eat anything moe than a snack there with the new people running it, I will post what the food is like. One thing, it seemed over priced for what they offered in my view at least.

The new Derochoir Black piste for anyone reading this thread need to know that up until two days ago this piste has still not been open and is not an option for getting back to the VE, Les Cloches or Montchavin unless you are a good off piste skier. Until this year it has been an unsecured off piste area not an itinerary for many years. Until they consider there is enough snow to open this run the pisteurs have told me that they will not be securing this area from avalanches so those skiing this area when closed need to take care.

Did not do challenge today as planned, tested some new skis instead. Will post again here the next time I go over to the La Plagne side.

look forward to meeting you roche when you are out next and having a ski as well if you are into the off piste stuff like us. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, yep its a fab area and plenty of offpiste, some say it has the largest offpiste area around!! but its all great. yep the reastaurant was a Mich restaurant up until last year and now obviously changed hands.

very much looking forward to catching up with you and really enjoy the off piste stuff, hows the snow? Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blue skies in Belle Plagne, getting a bit icy on the runs back in. Really want some fresh snow Smile Loving BP though, really quiet as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from La Plagne, staying in 1800.
Essentially the snow just lasted out for my week there. A lot of runs even above Plagne Centre are down to the base, showing through in more than a few places. The weather was more like April, never needed more than a thin thermal layer and jacket, and even then I was hot. It hit 17 degrees centigrade last Monday at 2000m!
The piste bashers are doing a great job keeping most of the runs open, around half of the blacks are shut but otherwise there are only a handful of runs shut.

Not all bad news, the off-piste is fantastic. An Oxygene guide took us to some great spots where the snow is a bit tracked but very nice to ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bump

The main link from Champagny to Plagne Centre, The Verdons South lift is being replaced this Summer,
pictures here on Romains excellent website.
http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=62396&sid=5748a1bb758efae7e163f744726224be#p62396
snow report
We saw this video being made in La Roche and Bellecote at the end of April for Urban Plagne.
Team Salomon Urban Plagne 2011 from Laurent Jamet
http://vimeo.com/22766733
snow conditions
Summer details including which lifts are open and on what days to be found here
http://www.aplp.fr/Administration/Nouvelles/Documents/ETE2011.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy