Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever taken glucosamine to help heal a ski injury?

Poster: A snowHead
This article, by Lynne Wallis in the Daily Mail, may be worth reading. It also concerns kelp, potassium, melatonin and calcium:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1305534/The-toxic-truth-vitamin-supplements-Health-pills-millions-barely-second-thought-harm-good.html

What's your experience of non-prescribed supplements to sort out ski injuries etc.?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take it everyday not to heal just to keep going. you need to take it for at least 3 months before you will start to feel a benefit and even then is so gradual you won't really feel a difference. for me I only feel a difference when I stop taking them. as injurys need more immediate attention, I would recommend physio would be better. but start taking the glucosamine as it deffinately helps the jopints.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
journalist gets the farts; writes a story about it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did take it not for an injury but as piste2powder, to keep going. Not sure if it had any marked effect though - I'm still a sh*t skier Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
halfhand, me three.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David E Goldsmith, are you on another 'father-figure-of-snowheads-so-will-try-to-start-interesting-(and to 99% of people irrelevant/waste of time)-topics-of-conversation trip or something? The place has been littered with pseudo-journalistic crap recently.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tried it once for a hockey injury, gave me the sh@ts, never taken it since & fixed the problem with stretches
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999

DEGsy's siege of the Northern Place doesn't seem to have broached the defences, so the "pseudo-journalistic" trebuchet has been wheeled south again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
David E Goldsmith, are you on another 'father-figure-of-snowheads-so-will-try-to-start-interesting-(and to 99% of people irrelevant/waste of time)-topics-of-conversation trip or something? The place has been littered with pseudo-journalistic crap recently.

I felt like flushing myself down the bog after reading that, I must admit
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:

Clarky - sometimes DG is genuinely irritating - why don't you save your bile for that? rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Daily Mail in scare story shock ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another inciteful, factually correct and unbiased story from the Daily Mail. rolling eyes

I am currently taking Glucosamine and Chondritin on the recommendation of my physio for treatment of a ski injury and have not experienced any of the side effects referred to in that article. Having said that I haven't experience any benefits either, but not sure I could tell if it was working!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reckon DM have that skull-and-crossbones pill image pre-printed on all their paper and just fill in the words around it.

Previous pearl of wisdom stories by Lynne Wallis include...

"A cracked rib? The pain in my chest was potentially fatal pneumonia. Shame my GP didn't spot it"
GP was too busy cashing his massive NHS cheque or perscribing heroin and The Pill to under age single mother illegal immigrants

and
"How that 'healthy' fruit juice could give you liver failure- or worse"
Worse by DM standard probably means a 4% drop in your property value.

Again rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David E Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Awww. Sad laundryman's view seconded by me. It's nice to have you back, even if you do get a bit 'wallpaper-y' from time to time. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's very little good quality evidence that Glucosamine has any beneficial effect, other than as a placebo. There is some evidence that it can cause GI side effects.

I don't routinely recommend it, and I don't prescribe it on the NHS.
snow report
I took it for a few months for general back problems. It didn't help at all and did cause some stomach problems.
ski holidays
Don t mean to put downer on this but there was a newspaper article where a chap had died from over dosing on glucosamine . . This if I remember correctly would have been in past 3 years. .obviously papers sensationalIze and other factors may have been at play. .. .however I am a fan of trying to help oneself. It s just a bit scary to hear such news Sad
snow conditions
As pointed out above Glucosamine is a waste of money, another fish oil type pill company money maker
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
David E Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Awww. Sad laundryman's view seconded by me. It's nice to have you back, even if you do get a bit 'wallpaper-y' from time to time. wink

Yeah I actually feel a little bit bad now... So sorry David E Goldsmith, I had a biatch of a day at work and went a bit OTT at seeing the Daily Mail quoted as if it were thought provoking - genuine apologies though.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 25-08-10 21:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
clarky999, awww, again. This thread has come over all sentimental. Laughing
ski holidays
David E Goldsmith, the shocking thing here is that this is almost accurate health journalism from the DM. Welcome back btw.

As Kramer says - Glucosamine is unproven, pointless and kosciosco's sarcastic description of the story may, ironically, be correct.
ski holidays
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=27
ski holidays
Elmer, hello! Toofy Grin Was just thinking about you at Hemel today. Where's you bin, and will you be along again soon?
snow report
I think this thread is about to save me some money (which has got to be a first for snowHeads). Thanks, Drs and others. Toofy Grin
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
clarky999

DEGsy's siege of the Northern Place doesn't seem to have broached the defences, so the "pseudo-journalistic" trebuchet has been wheeled south again.

Just curious what is the Northern Place?
latest report
WH Cool Thank god he hasn't been getting any bites up there. We can do without him...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy