Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
stanton, snow was good on Wednesday but with the recent (lower down) rain I imagine that's changed...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stanton, I heard that the Mooserwirt was closing the weekend before the season finishes as the staff are going to Ischgl to watch the concert?!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any update on conditions from anyone on the ground ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow is very good on the piste on Rendl & Stuben for most of the day. Best way to enjoy your day is to get the first lift and ski Blue Osthang & then Kappal T Bar before 10am when they get busier, snow is great then - after that time head for Rendl or Stuben and then take a late long lunch in the sun!.

www.stantonviews.blogspot.com

www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is it raining/snowing at the moment???
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raining at resort level in Lech as I type (not heavily tho)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely smashing spring weather today.

Good refreeze last night, wall to wall sunshine all day. Pistes in fine condition up until about 3pm, then its time to mogul bash. Should be some good spring snow forming in next day or two. Was a few cms of fresh up top today.

Back in town someone had a sweet smelling BBQ set up near Taps, people were stripping off in the Moose. And all round a relaxed party atmosphere.

It is warm. Feels more mid April than end March. But good times are there for the taking. A good day to be in the Arlberg. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great morning. Another good refreeze. Sun all over till about two then cloud started building up. In Lech/Zurs all day. Lech from town looks a little brown, but the skiing was terrific higher up and especially in Zurs. Stuben north facing looked great for those heading that way. But again it really feels more mid April than end March and looks that way too. But some great spring skiing in sun and terraces are packed! It really is very pleasant! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Word up! Did the via ferrata on Rendl today.. Didn't take skis as other people with me weren't competent off-piste and a guide told me previous day that conditions are a bit sketchy there.. but.. its so untracked. Cry So.. so.. untracked..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah, is that off to the furthest right as you stand on the beach area and look up at the ski area? saw a load of people heading over there last year but had the kids with us!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, not sure if you're thinking of the route lots of people take to Rossfallalpe from the bottom of the ski route? But! It's to the right of Riffel II, on the ridge, it's not really difficult but it is a bit unnerving to see a couple loose pegs...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rained to about 2200m last night. And hot and sunny today. So snow was heavy and wet. Lovely day to enjoy the sunshine. Going to be even warmer over next few days... Lot's of fun to be had with a different band playing pretty much every terrace...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The KK closed early (Today April 2nd) this season, thought they might go to 10th but economics rule.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-Kanguruh-St-Anton-am-Arlberg/90701019721
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hows the snow doing out there? Is Sonnenkopf still a good shout for a day out?? Off out there next week, arriving at Sat 9th.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very hot and sunny. More like summer than spring. Lower snow melting fast. Still plenty of fun to be had high up. And lots of fun in the sun on the terraces at the end of the day.
snow report
A number of big wet slides as the summer like temperatures heat things up by the afternoon.

Ski patrol were bombing Schindler Spitze from a helicopter yesterday afternoon.
ski holidays
kitenski, Sonnenkopf has closed the Obermoos lift and runs back to the village so not much is open.. but apparently the snow is still decent. If it gets some of todays "expected snowfall" they might re-open it.. Otherwise it might be a bit of a mission for the few runs it has open.
snow conditions
cheers Timmaah, looks like rain in St Christoph on the webcams .....hopefully will turn to snow!
latest report
Yep.. raining in resort.. and as high up as Gampen! Should begin to snow in the next couple hours or so at that height...
ski holidays
cheers Timmaah, generally how's the skiing, are there many stones/rocks around? I am hoping with the temps that there will be some good spring snow around off piste in the mornings...
ski holidays
kitenski, generally skiing is fine for late spring. High temperatures are pushing refreeze higher than normal. From midday there are also a lot of slides.

"Avalanche Danger

The avalanche danger level is contingent on altitude and on a daytime warming cycle. Below about 2400 m, considerable danger prevails during the morning; above that altitude the danger level is moderate. Particularly due to the rainfall, naturally triggered wet snow avalanches are expected, increasingly they will be loose snow avalanches attaining medium size. Due to the small amounts of snow, exposed sections of transportation routes will be placed at risk only in very isolated cases. For backcountry touring, the conditions during the morning are unfavourable below 2400 m. In very steep terrain, wet snow avalanches and wet, loose snow avalanches can easily be triggered as the snowpack becomes wetter. As of late afternoon, the situation will improve as temperatures drop, naturally triggered avalanches will become less likely. Below about 1600 m, the danger is generally low, due to the lack of snow. In high alpine regions, small sized snowdrift accumulations will form which, particularly in shady areas adjacent to ridge lines, should be avoided.

Snow Layering

Over the last few days, the snowpack has become thoroughly wet up to higher than 3000 m on steep, sunny slopes. Last night below 2400 m, it was not able to consolidate sufficiently. Through the rainfall which is forecast, the snowpack will lose much of its remaining firmness, especially below about 2400 m; above that altitude, the solar radiation will have the same effect, especially in East Tyrol. In North Tyrol, the snowpack will consolidate somewhat as of late afternoon, due to lower temperatures."
latest report
nozawaonsen, hmm, cheers, doesn't sound so good for off piste then! Where are those warnings from please so I can keep an eye on them this week, and how long are you out there for??
ski holidays
kitenski, north facing and high should be fine.

Keep an eye on the daily reports here.

http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/english/
ski holidays
kitenski, snowing from St. Christoph and above now! Seems quite strong. No issues of stones though.. they've done a great job of keeping the pistes in nice order.

With this snow, you will find decent off-piste.. just be safe and remember about wet slabs.. When are you out?
snow conditions
Timmaah, driving out this friday, arrive lunchtimeish Saturday for a week...Hopefully Andy Thun has posted his book to my hotel for some ideas on routes!
ski holidays
No precipitation in resort.. but webcams tell me its still snowing strong in St. Christoph and higher. Already 10-15cm of fresh snow. First April pow beckons me tomorrow I think!

edit: touring or just off-piste?
latest report
Timmaah, just the off piste book, although we will bring our skins with us.....it's a family ski hols, so have 3 days of off piste while the kids are in ski school, then 3 days skiing with them...

Staying in Stuben, so wanting to try some routes around there if possible!

Are you in St Anton?
snow report
Ya, I'm here until end of April. Stuben will have plenty to offer for at least two days - if not more!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers, enjoy the powder day tomorrow!

Going green

does anyone know about this outfit from the Stuben webpage? We would have 3 blokes and maybe 3 ladies who might fancy something like this...

http://www.arlbergalpin.at

FREERIDEDAY AT THE ARLBERG
You are already enjoying your holiday in Stuben to the fullest, but you are still on the search for the ultimate adventure? You have just found it! We offer guided ski/freeride tours around Stuben and from 4pm come and visit our new "Avalanche Trainingscenter". Information and bookings at our office or daily from 4pm at our "freeride table" at Hotel Garni Arlberg.
(Price €40,-- per Person, minimum participants: 4 ).
latest report
Although I didn't ski this year I checked in on the webcams almost every day (just to torment myself) and was surprised at how short the season seemed to have been in Lech. In a general sense would it be fair to say that the conditions are unusually mild for this time of the year in Lech. It is hard to imagine that there are officially still three weeks left in the season there with conditions deteriorating at the rate at which they are. When you see the snow depths in other resorts it looked like Lech was particularly unlucky this year in terms of snowfall. Generally speaking how would this season across the Alps be regarded in terms of snow depth and duration overall.
ski holidays
Quote:

When you see the snow depths in other resorts it looked like Lech was particularly unlucky this year in terms of snowfall.

I suspect not - it's been a poor year for snow everywhere and many resorts are closing earlier than initially planned.
ski holidays
Agree with Pam - it was a very light snow year from early-Jan onwards, and that seems to have been true for most of Europe. Very little new snow in the Arlberg right through Feb - but many sunny days.

Lech suffered more than some other places, because the majority of the slopes face south / south-west, so they got hammered by the afternoon sun. Stuben and Zurs fared much better.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-04-11 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Is the White ring worth doing next week with my kids, or should we just ski around zurs?? They liked the speed gun over at lech last year & also the rendl fun park
ski holidays
I suspect that the Madloch-Zug section would be quite scratchy by now. There were quite a few rocks peeking above snow 3 weeks ago - especially in last third or so.
snow report
White Ring not too bad today apparently, helped by the snowfall we had over night (about 5cm ish going by the depth of snow on top of the pole outside the kitchen window. Most has since melted tho, blue skies today. Pistes still nice higher up tho very much spring skiing conditions.
When are you heading out kitenski? Might be able to give you an idea of the conditions round the Ring as I'm planning on doing it either Friday or Saturday.
snow report
Sitter, I arrive Saturday the 10th, so an update on conditions would be great Smile
snow conditions
Today has been awesome! I berated myself for not getting up early enough and ended up being on the mountain by around 12:30... Was hoping to ski with a buddy but he bailed so I went on my own. Stuck to couloirs all afternoon. I finally did the one under the Schindlergratbahn. I got absolutely berated by the liftie.. but hey. So much fun... and then I nailed the one which loops back to midway up the Schinderlgratbahn.

Around 5-15cm of fresh snow. Going to check out Stuben tomorrow.. I was going to do the back of Rendl but I imagine that's not optimum at the moment...

Pistes are actually good! Happy Valley and blue 4->1 are fine.. not moguly at all. Obviously bit slushy now but the resorts so empty that those horrific moguls seem to be non-existent.
snow conditions
Timmaah, how come the liftie had a go at you, being on your own??
ski holidays
No, there was another skier there so he probably assumed I was with him.. I imagine.. it's because to get to those couloirs you need to go under/around some netting. I decided not to do that and went around the other way, which meant I had to pass under the lifts.. which I imagine is why he got so pissed. The way under the netting means that the lifties don't see you as well. I wanted to ski the other couloir there afterwards but thought I should just leave it for the day.
ski holidays
Timmaah, you mean you walked back through the top lift station?

A lot of the slopes round there have been purging quite badly in the warm temperatures which might also have caused the lift staff some concern.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy