Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjusting Atomic Metron Beta 5 & service life left ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I have been offered some 2nd hand Atomic Metron Beta 5's from a coach at my son;s rugby club.
They seem in good nick and he has kindly allowed me to try them out later this week at Tamworth snow dome....

However .... Sad
Upon having now time to closely look at them I have 2 questions:

1) How do I adjust them to suit my boots - as they adjust totally differently from mine & my son's current skis...

My boots are 317mm Mondo 27's - now the guages exposed in the photo above work both ways (allowing one to bias weight to the front I assume).
To set up my boots centrally what do I line up ?? Do I line up both slides to 31 to the raised line, in line with the windows in the cover above ?
or to the line with the mountain outline on the base plastic moulding that is about 2cm behind ??
See pic below, you can just see it above the orange highlight at the top left of the 2 ruled scales.

I would assume that I can back off the back binding length using the screw adjustment then once the boot fits tighten the adjusting back binding screw until it fits right (leaving a little clearance between boot & binding when engaged)?

I can then screw it all back together & it should read 31 in both windows ?

(he had his set oddly, one ski was 33 / 31 shown in the 2 windows and the other ski was half way between settings showing 33/32 in one window and 32/31 in the other... Am I right in thinking that he had 2 different set ups to each ski ??.....

2) As he has had his skis "serviced" by a shop they innitially seem in good condition (although my edges seem sharper than his shop cut ones, which have ridges).
However for a 2mm deep edge when looked side on they have machined into the fibre glass top by at least 2mm (so with 2mm of edge depth there is 2mm of fibre glass depth, in the front part of the ski it measures nearly 2mm edge + 3mm fibre glass depth) - so my second question being is how much service life would be left as they have eaten into the fibre glass edge of the main body - see pics below:

In the last pic above my finger nail is the depth left in the web / ridge of edge either side of the main body of the ski - which measures 1.3 using a depth guage.

Sorry if I have miss-used or used incorrect terminology, hopefully you get the idea.

The skis don;t have major issues on the base - nothing that 5 mins with ptex wouldn;t sort out, I usually repair, wax & edge my skis so I have no qualms about that but I wasn;t sure of how much service life would be left, as my current 2nd hand Ebay skis have a lot more & are of a similar age.

We are off to the 3 valleys in easter so I was thinking of buying them to go with as my current Blizzards were hard work last easter in Le Plagne & les Arc with the sugary snow & soft conditions.....

Thanks for any advice / help peeps...
Little Angel
Noisey
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I posted this here years ago but I can't find it so here's the same thread from Epic Ski:
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/39950/neox-binding-position-adjustment

I'd strongly recommend using the forward postion on the B5 & if you have a small BSL (under 320mm) I'd recommend cheating the boot sole scale as described in my thread so that the boot is a cm ahead of the forward mark.

The fibreglass sidewall pictured looks is exactly how a B5 should be but you're going to need a sidewall trimmer if you want to hand tune them.

The life left in a ski edge is judged by thickness of the base edge angle when looking at the ski base (not by the height of the side edge angle as your pic) so please post a pic of the base edge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon

I hope I have understood you correctly. See photo in reply above (for some reason my browser went mad and I had to shut it all down & restart).
Anyway all the edges measure about 1.5mm wide - except for the one on the far left which is more like 1.25mm.
These are measured across the middle point of the ski (where they seem thinnest anyway).
IS this too thin, although it looks similar to the skis I currently have. ??

Thanks for help & the link it is really helpfull... Madeye-Smiley

Thanks
Noisey
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noisey, they're a bit worn but there's still plenty of life in them especially as you'll be hand tuning them so you'll only be removing a minimal amount.

For the price you've paid you've got yourself a bargain.

Make sure you set those side edges to 3/87 degrees.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon,
That is great, fantastic news - you have been a GREAT HELP Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

I will set them up for my boots & try not to get too excited at the snow dome on Thursday Laughing Laughing

we are on countdown to going so I think I will use these in the current conditions.

Thanks again.

Noisey.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy