Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-piste insurance question...

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using the same insurance provider for the last 8yrs or so that covers me and my wife for multiple worldwide travelling throughout the policy year as well as winter sports cover that includes search and rescue and off-piste skiing/boarding.

Now, I have never really thought of scrutinizing the terms and conditions of the winter sports and especially the off-piste cover until now. I decided to telephone my insurance provider to find out if there were any "catch all" clauses when it comes to covering me should I have an accident or get caught in an avalanche whilst skiing off-piste / backcountry to which they replied that: "they would cover me as long as I don't place myself in danger or go into any area of danger"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Puzzled

The way I see it is that it doesn't matter any which way you want to break it down, if someone decides to venture off-piste or into the backcountry even if you are super experienced and with a mountain guide they are, by default, potentially placing themself in danger because they will be entering a potentially dangerous area. If that is the case then that leads me to believe that they will never pay out should I get injured and need rescuing or caught in an avalanche whilst skiing off-piste.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me, please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hornster, caveat first - I'm not an insurance expert.

I would have thought that if the policy says it covers you for off-piste, then to refuse a claim they would have to show you put yourself at particular danger, e.g. skiing while the avalanche risk is raised (say 3 or above), or venturing onto a glacier without a qualified local guide.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would interpret that as don't go off piste when there is a high avalanche risk, or if a 'closed' area, or advised against by an official. I wouldn't say off piste is a 'dangerous area' per se.

And as cover specifies off piste, they accept that risk in general, you'd have to do something OTT to not be covered, which is probably the case for most insurance anyway.

But if in doubt, contact them again and ask for clarification. It's them that will/won't pay, not us Blush
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, martinm, thanks for the feedback.

I have always thought along those lines but was left slightly confused when I telephoned my insurance provider. I suppose that it would have helped if the person I spoke to was a skier or boarder because at least then they would have known what off-piste is. When I asked her what the policy definition is of off-piste she replied with, "how am I suppose to know..I don't ski".

Anyway, thanks again for the quick replies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hornster, there was a case recently of a UK snowboarder (I think) who died in an avalanche while off-piste in Tignes, where the insurance company refused to pay out because they argued that he'd taken an excessive risk in going off piste (despite being covered). There was some discussion on here, but I can't find it now. From memory, the company argued that avalanche level 3 was excessive...but I think they were challenged in the courts. Don't know the outcome.

Anyway, it's a tricky subject - in theory going skiing at all (even on piste) is placing yourself in danger, but then so is crossing the road. As laundryman says, I'd bet you can't insure someone for off-piste skiing and then claim it's too dangerous without good reason...but avy level 3 might be reason enough (which is the level most resorts spend most of the time at).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChrisWo, Thanks. I'll try and search for the discussion thread you have referred to.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My close friend's son had a ski accident earlier in the year. He was an instructor doing a season in Canada and had taken out what he thought was full insurance. He had insurance for snow parks but after having a bad fall after jumping in the park his insurance company refused to pay. He was in intensive care and had to be flown home accompanied by a doctor and nurse. The policy covered off-piste and snowpark but had some sort of 'putting yourself at risk' clause and they refused to pay out. He had a qualification to teach in snowparks but it was his last day of his stay and therefore no longer working so could not claim through his employer's policy. Frankly it was a nightmare. It's wise to thoroughly check policies, especially with ambiguous wording.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It's wise to thoroughly check policies, especially with ambiguous wording.

which is why, on my search for suitable insurance, I discarded Dogtag. Hopeless trying to get any sense out of them as to what offpiste cover they provide (in a European context). Nobody I spoke to there was a skier, and although they promised to get an authoritative view from underwriters for me, they never did. They kept using the "skiing against local advice" wording. When asked to clarify they said if, for example, there were avalanche warnings. I said there were always avalanche warnings, basically - though the level might be only 1, or 2. "Oh no," she said, "if there's any level of avalanche warning you wouldn't be covered". I gave up after about a week of that sort of nonsense.

If in doubt about the coverage of your UK policy for off piste, get Carte/Carré Neige.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, that's interesting - we've just noticed very similar wording has appeared in our policy this year (DirectTravel). It's making my OH question whether we should switch to someone less ambiguous. I might try giving them a call and see if I get a better response.

Out of interest, who did you end up choosing, or did you go Carte Neige?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo, I don't think it is particularly ambiguous.

What makes it so is trying to get sensible answers out of people on the phone. The majority of teh people you talk to will not be skiers or boarders themselves, and won't really know what you are talking about.

If in doubt, you need to write to them, and get written answers, preferably ones from somebody who actually understands the issues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, I think you're right...writing is the way to go, and in fact it's probably not even worth calling as the answer will be misleading.

As for the ambiguity, I think it's in the eye of the beholder. I didn't read it as particularly problematic, but now I've thought a bit about it I see that it could easily be used by the insurer to avoid paying out on the general principle that the avalanche risk was 'too high'. I don't think that's what they really mean...but I can't tell for sure (which would be that ambiguousnessity...).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ChrisWo, After reading your post got my Direct Travel Insurance out to read again but cannot find the bit about avalanche risk was too high. Could you give me the page number .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Organisations like the British Mountaineering Council have excellent insurance available to members - I'd assume SCGB or other snowsports organisations have similar cover.

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Landing.aspx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest and having come from many years of mountaineering, I have decided to buy my off-piste ski insurance through the British Mountaineering Council as their all insurance policies are second to none from my experience. I was involved in a high altitude rescue high up on a 7000m mountain and they never hestitated in paying out. Pity I never thought of buying their insurance for my off-piste skiing also - doh!

here is their link to their insurance policies if anyone is interested. The Alpine & Ski policy is fantastic by all accounts.

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Policies.aspx#alpine
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
riverman, it doesn't refer to avalanche risk being too high - it has wording similar to pam w's policy, talking about local authority warnings (which may or may not refer to avalanche risk...I have no idea). Anyway, the wording is here:

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/documents/current-policy-wording.pdf at the top of Adobe's page 17 (para A).

Like I said, I think it's been updated this year, so it may not be in your current policy wording.
snow report
pam w, excuse my ignorance but how does the Carte Neige work and are there any "catch all" clauses?
latest report
ChrisWo, In my (current) copy, it is on page 15 of the pdf.

The actual wording is that [cover is excluded for] "skiing against local authority warning or advice".
latest report
alex_heney, does the policy T&C's give examples or define what "local authority warnings" are? Would that constitute a level 1,2,3,4 or 5 avalanche rating?
snow report
Hornster, They don't define that term, no.

IMO (and it is only my opinion), it would mean avalanche warning level 3 or higher, given that the official text for level 2 is "Alarm level 2
Moderate. An avalanche is likely to be triggered in the event of high levels of additional stress especially on the specified steep slopes. Favourable touring conditions if local danger zones are taken into consideration".

If level 2 then skiing on the "specified slopes" would also be excluded.

I think it can hardly be "against local authority warning or advice" when the official text says "Favourable touring conditions".
ski holidays
alex_heney, if I were a mean insurance company, I think I'd be asking you if you were touring or not. If not, then I'd still think about claiming you were skiing against local authority advice...

[Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting insurance companies would really do that...well, not all of them wink ]
ski holidays
In my experience, if there is any fresh snow to be enjoyed the avalanche risk will be at least 3 on the European scale. There are so many factors to take into account (angle and aspect of slope etc) that I cannot see any point in writing to an insurance company with "what if" questions. I'm insured with Direct Travel and would not ski down a closed piste because that is clearly "against local authority advice". But there are many "warning" notices at the top of mountains about the risks involved that cannot be taken as prohibiting access or invalidating insurance.

The only sure way to find out how your insurance company will behave is to make a claim, but obviously we should all study our policies carefully. What amazes me is that so many (30% I think I read recently) British skiers don't have any travel insurance at all. rolling eyes
snow report
Apologies for duplicate post....I just wrote this in the other insurance thread that is live, but worth putting here too:

Don't panic too much....your E111 card number thing covers the vast majority of your medical bills.

It paid 99% of my medical costs when I broke my leg in Switzerland in April.

Also covered a decent % of the Heli rescue and Pisteurs.

Lift pass insurance paid the rest and all the holiday insurance covered was the car hire extension and rearranged flights.

The medical costs were the big number....even if we had no other insurance the rest was not too bad really.

In Switz' you can buy an Air Glaciers annual policy for about 30chf which will cover you for heli rescue anywhere, any reason (off piste, hiking, car accident...whatever).

Combine that with E111 and you have the vast majority of your finacial risk covered.
snow report
Hornster, I took the top level AMEX cover - very long trip lengths, and off-piste (not that I do much of that, but you never know). But I also - just today - bought the season Carré Neige - yes, it's belt and braces. But it's not too expensive and I'd rather have too much insurance than too little.

I don't think your E111 (ehic) will pay any of your "get off the mountain" bills in France.

My experience of writing to insurance companies is not encouraging - your chances of a proper substantive reply seem to be just about zero.
snow report
Jehu wrote:
there are many "warning" notices at the top of mountains about the risks involved that cannot be taken as prohibiting access or invalidating insurance.

You reckon?
snow report
pam w, I am also insured with AMEX as it goes and it was them who gave me all sorts of "catch all" clauses in their policy T&C's that got me worried. So, I have decided to buy a second insurance policy (specifically for my ski trips) with the BMC whom I know from experience (mountaineering that is) are brilliant at paying out when the proverbial hits the fan.

Out of interest, how much would a 6 day Carré Neige cost in France?
ski holidays
Hornster, it costs 15€ here, though it's Assur' 2Alpes rather than Carré Neige.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I'm going to Morzine, what do they refer to it as?
snow report
Hornster, no idea. Hardly matters though, as it's all broadly similar stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our season Carré Neige ("Loisir" so in theory includes repatriation to the UK) was 97 euros for the two of us. If bought with a lift pass here, for shorter periods, the Carte Neige is 2 euros a day.
latest report
When I checked on renewing with Direct Travel they stated fully covered off piste unless specifically advised not to due to high avalanche risk etc.

A friend had to claim from them (not a ski trip) and was in ICU in Spain (expensive health care) and cover actually ran out as was still there in hospital and they paid up and sorted stuff with no problems.
snow conditions
Quote:

unless specifically advised not to due to high avalanche risk etc.

Hmm. What's "high" risk mean in that context?
latest report
Here's a headscratching one from Insureforall.com

"Cover for off-piste skiing/snow boarding is restricted within resort boundaries or with a qualified guide. There is no cover for search and rescue."

So if I am within resort boundaries on my own or outwith with a guide and require to be evacuated by sledge or helicopter, do they refuse a claim because I had to be "rescued"? I think I know what is actually meant - ie Search & Rescue in terms of having to mount a search operation for someone actually lost, but it looks like a potential get out clause without a clear definition of what search and rescue is meant to mean.

The more I search for what I need, the more confusing it all gets. Madeye-Smiley And it doesn't help to be looking for insurance for 65+ when I haven't quite reached the stage of being content just to cruise the blues.
ski holidays
and there are no such things as "resort boundaries" in Europe, anyway, as far as I know.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
Don't panic too much....your E111 card number thing covers the vast majority of your medical bills.

Not necessarily & not if the only medical centre in resort is private. We had to spend £1,000 at the resort medical centre (Austria), which we successfully claimed back on insurance but which was not covered by EHIC card. Only the hospital costs were covered by EHIC.
ski holidays
This thread had me worried about using dogtag so I had a conversation with them and it seems I need to pay attention to the avalanche bulletins.

If the bulletins say steep northwest slopes above 2300m have a dodgy layer then I should not go off piste in that area. It seems I basically must been seen to have taken "advise" from the resort when going off piste and practice safe riding techniques.

They are sending this to me in writing.

Im happy with that as this seems quite sensible.

My question is what does carte neige say in this circumstance? If I go on a northwest steep slope on a high (3 or above) against specific warnings on the bulitin, will carte neige not cover me, or is carte neige basically "do what the hell stupid thing you like we will foot the bill" inclusive policy?

Tux
snow report
Hornster, by not putting yourself in danger the insurers will be looking to see that you did not go out off piste beyond your experience which in the event of a claim you will have to prove, or against advice and again this will be checked. Skiing off piste always carries an element of danger (on piste is also dangerous to be honest) your insurers will look to you tp prove that your were capable and conditions were appropriate. Very subjective and in the event of a claim it will be up to you to prove that you had taken adequate precautions before you went out.
snow report
I have annual Direct-Travel cover, just renewed and emailed them for clarification on "that" iffy exclusion statement. The reply has left us so concerned about the ambiguity in the policy and the lack of understanding on the part of the insurer, that we have purchased Air Glaciers cover in addition.

The phrase "skiing against local authority warning or advice"

I asked "Who is the "local authority" in this instance"?

Quote:

If an area has been deemed unsafe to ski in and there are written warnings in place by whoever is in charge, be it lift operators, ski instructors or any other person employed within the resort (local people who are in an authorised position) then you do not ski in that area until such time that it has been opened and any such bans have been lifted. If you were to ski in such an area where warnings were in place, you would not be covered if you had an accident or for example started an avalanche. A common sense approach to all travel plans and activities is essential at all times.

For us, there seemed to be an expectation on their part that "someone" is in charge of the mountains in Europe. We were also quite concerned that their representative was of the opinion that a ski instructor would be suitably qualified to open a ski area. Additionally, many of the places we ski, have "Beyond this marker at your own risk" signs, because they are outside the area managed by the lift company, which could be seen as a written warning by an insurer. They also seem to have an expectation that we are all going to be in a resort, which is in conflict with the off piste and ski touring elements within their policy.

It's a real shame, IMV Direct-Travel had one of the most commonsense approaches and affordable policies out there.
latest report
tuxpoo, interesting. What did they have to say about the general warnings? e.g. a yellow and black checkered flag. Just because there was a warning that lee slopes were particularly unstable it wouldn't mean the rest were necessarily safe, would it? When I asked I was told that I would not be covered if the local area had posted any avalanche warnings - and although I pointed out that there was practically always some kind of warning, because I was not talking to a skier I didn't get anywhere.

As far as I can make out, you are covered for accidents off piste with Carré Neige unless you are suicidal, drunk, pregnant or all three. http://www.carreneige.com/telechargements.php
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 2-01-10 21:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowbunny. I hope you will be e-mailing back and asking for an answer from someone senior in the company who actually knows something about snowsports. That reply is just a mishmash of nonsense

So I would succeed with a claim for injury on a closed piste on the grounds that I am an instructor and decided it was ok to re-open it? Laughing

Regarding the Carré Neige, I am waiting an answer from my current insurer to the question of whether they would meet any claims arising from the later stages of an off-piste injury given evacuation from the mountain and transport to hospital has been covered by the Carré Neige eg if medical costs go beyond €3000. i suspect the answer will be no.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-01-10 21:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy