Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
ed123, I see they have opened two more runs at Grands Montets this week, now have two blues & two reds open in the whole of Chamonix valley! Other reorts seem to have much more available so why not Chamonix?

I will be there on Sunday(arriving Thursday), so will look out for you. If you are approached by a 6'3" guy in an all black (Columbia) rig hiding behind mirror goggles and wearing a neoprene face mask, all this under a Salomon Impact helmet (looking a bit like Darth Vader), don't fret it's only me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bob Morrison, everything opens Sat 19th
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bob Morrison, my suspicion is that it's CMB policy to keep Brevents-Flegere, Le Balme in good nick for Christmas. The revenues from a few early birds are as of nothing compared to having happy skiers next week.

Les Houches is (I hate saying this) a little low and I suspect that this weekend will be the first weekend that they'll be able to open anything other than the top runs. Certainly couldn't have skiied down to Prarion or Bellevue on Sunday afternoon.

Looks pretty good though to me...

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bob Morrison, hi I'll look like this- 'cept with a new black helmet and googles

[/img]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to Chamonix Feb 27-Mar 6 2010. Done Verbier, Val Thor, Meribel, etc. but never Chamonix. Wondering best place to stay for best access to most challenging pistes. I'd def like to do guided off-piste in Vallee Blanche but also want to hit grands montet.. any tips for a reasonable place that is convenient for someone without a car?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sdrunsic, welcome to Snowheads, you will love it.
Argentiere is best placed for Grands Montets but there is great skiing at all the areas. You will need to get your head around using the free bus.
Even Le Tour, often described as a place for beginners or to warm up has lots of great off piste and steep skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob - thanks for the reply! i am VERY much into steeps (why i found verbier last year to be phenom) and after reviewing some footage of vallee blanche, the run looks a bit 'tame' and 'crowded'! is it safe to presume that, with a guide, you can go off the beaten track in search of more challenging terrain? (by the way, i am a snowboarder and i know most guides frown upon taking boarders due to disability on flats and long traverses but i had zero problem staying at the head of my six person ski pack off the back of mont fort last year). slim chance i may be solo on this trip if some buddies back out on me. not that i have a problem as i travel solo just fine but wondering if it is also possible to hook up with good skiers/riders in chamonix? would be great to be with someone who has a bead on the stashes.

glad to have found this site.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sdrunsic, there are a whole bundle of routes of varying difficulty down the Vallee Blanche. If you want a snowboard oriented guide, try Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com. You should easily find someone to board with if you find yourself abandoned by your chums.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi. As I am not the first to post about staying in chamonix, I do not feel too guilty. I am loosing my current bed on Monday and would like to stay about for another 4 days or so, does anyone have any recomendations for cheap places to stay? A bed available would be cool, or a cheap hotel or something. TIA.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sdrunsic, you might want to check out http://www.mcnabsnowboarding.com/ he is one of the best. Good luck in getting some one to show you their secret stashes. If you are traveling on your own then the UPCA do week courses incl accomodation, food kit, and instruction plus buddies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sdrunsic, there are plenty of variations on the Vallee Blanche. For example the Grand Envers route is neither tame nor crowded. Having said that there are more accessible steeps and deeps at all of the areas along the valley. Take a look at the off-piste section here for a brief intro to some of the classics: http://www.chamonix.net/english/skiing/offpiste/off_piste.htm?tab=3,1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under, hughbedo, jbob, sideshow - thanks all for the tips! very helpful to hear from the seasoned...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess my question is - would i be better off staying in Argentiere or in the center of Chamonix? Probably would be nice to have the access to the apres-ski and restaurants of Cham.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sdrunsic, possibly, I've never experienced Argentiere at night. I expect it's a little livelier than when Blizzard of Aaahs was filmed...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sdrunsic, I have spent winters in both. If you are into your skiing big time then I would suggest Argentiere there are a few bars and one pikey club, but if you want your evenings to be
"full on" then it has to be Chamonix.
ski holidays
Chamonix is busy and pikey.

Argentiere is quiet and semi-pikey.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
sdrunsic, possibly, I've never experienced Argentiere at night. I expect it's a little livelier than when Blizzard of Aaahs was filmed...

haha - that is EXACTLY what i am going back to 'relive'. best flick ever.
latest report
hughbedo, this place is 16 euros a night and another euro to use the kitchen www.gitelebelvedere.eu , I stayed there in about 1987- luxury- as the alternatives were camping at Piere d'Orthaz or a bivi in the top station of the index.

I've also stayed at http://www.la-boerne.fr/home.htm which is really wonderful and also great value.

Club Vagabond is also supposed to be cheap and lively- although I've not been.
ski holidays
So, I'm off to Chamonix on Sunday, Cant't wait. HOWEVER snowforecast.com are forecasting 60/70km winds on Tuesday. If that happens and lifts are shut, do you get your money back on your lift pass.
Am only there for 3 1/2 days skiing so might only be worth buying a daily pass. Hopefully the forecast is wrong anyway.
snow conditions
Drluvski, I expect only if absolutely EVERY lift is shut. Which is unlikely. Don't believe Snow-Forecast anyway, it's computer generated straight off the models.

The only two sites worth reading are http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php and http://www.meteo-chamonix.org - both have real live weather-people interpreting the computers and adding in some local experience and observations. Chamonix Meteo is the French met office one, Met Cham are independent.

Chamonix Meteo are suggesting a disturbance might come in Tuesday but are (unusually) not even giving a confidence horizon - just saying that their forecast confidence is poor. So anything could happen really.
latest report
under a new name, Thanks for those sites. Fingers crossed for no 70km/h winds then.
snow report
Woooo me too, we arrive saturday at midday and leave christmas eve, really excited now....
snow report
No wind at the moment, and snowing really heavy in Chamonix town, with more forecast.

Just going to go up there now and ski it all out, before you lot arrive...... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Fantastic snow at Flegere
powder day
plenty of snow for all those worrying about early season
Snowed last night and snowing tonight
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

The only two sites worth reading are http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php and http://www.meteo-chamonix.org - both have real live weather-people interpreting the computers and adding in some local experience and observations. Chamonix Meteo is the French met office one, Met Cham are independent.

FYI: Both are independent of Meteo France. I didnt' realise that chamonix-meteo are funded by the local tourist offices who found Meteo France too expensive. There is a big ding-dong between Meteo France and Chamonix Meteo. If you want the Meteo France forecast you have to phone this premium rate number: 08 92 68 02 74
snow conditions
davidof, I thought cham meteo were funded by the French govt. there was a big hoo hah some months ago when the funding was going to be pulled.
ski holidays
Good snow today
Cold but sun is shining and good visibility
No new snow overnight
Slopes are very quiet
snow report
It's Baltic. The snow is great on piste. Sunny all morning clagged in late pm.
Looks like a change in the weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
30 cm overnight Very Happy
ski holidays
Keep filling it up, we'll be there on Wednesday. Very Happy No using it till then! wink
snow conditions
After being sat on a plane yesterday for NINE hours yesterday, the flight was cancelled. No trip to Chamonix for me now Sad . To make it worse the snow sounds excellent jbob,
Enjoy the snow everyone. I'll have to wait until February for my next trip out to Chamonix.
ski holidays
Unfortnatley our flight home was cancelled
We have to stay
We will look after the snow for you
ski holidays
Dek, Lucky you. Looks like it would have been a good day skiing with all that nice fresh snow. Going to have to head off to the Chill Factore now for a little fix to make up for my missed trip.
snow conditions
It wasn't a good day. The snow is good but it's very cold, windy and the
vis is also bad.
snow report
jbob, hope its better for you and everyone else in the valley tomorrow. Will be checking out the webcams again to see what I'm missing out on.
latest report
Another foot plus has fallen. Off piste is good high up on Flegere - lower down there is an annoying icy crust a foot below the surface but so far matching last year.
snow conditions
Another foot plus has fallen. Off piste is good high up on Flegere - lower down there is an annoying icy crust a foot below the surface but so far matching last year.
ski holidays
It's got warmer. Conditions were Much better today even had a bit of sunshine.
Seen a couple of lads skiing the hotel face at brevent in ski movie conditions must have
had xxl cojones.
snow report
Powder (half) day today great snow, atmospherics mixed. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Not long now before I head out to Cham - I hear there's been a lot of rain so just wondering how the snow is holding up?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy