Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone know how to get from Morzine to Aosta?

Poster: A snowHead
I've double booked myself, and will need to get from Morzine to the Aosta valley in Italy (Pila, probably) on 28th Feb, leaving Morzine at about 5 and will need to get to Aosta the same day. Does anyone know if this is feasible, or if you drive, how long it would take?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Down to Cluses, toward Chamonix, through the Mont Blanc tunnel?

I've never driven between those two places, but I've driven to both of them and I'm pretty sure I went past Cluses on both journeys Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-07-09 10:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine - chamonix - tunnel - Courmayeur (top of the aosta valley) - pila. CHamonix to pila will be about 1.5 hours. Not sure about morize to chamonix but it's not too far is it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Google Maps

start point - Morzine
end point - Aosta

Driving directions to Aosta, Italy
122 km – about 1 hour 58 mins

1hr 58min (1hr 53min going the other way? must be downhill:})
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
excellent news, I was fearing a 6 hour drive through the mountains. Will make a note to check my diary next time Happy

thanks all, now to find a car company that will let me pick up in Morzine and drop off in Italy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 hours says Google.

3 hours says Paul. I hear it can get snowy and busy at that time of year. Two hours is ambitious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, None of the route is particularly high, 2 hours sounds about right.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My recollection of my two adventures on those roads was a TERRIFYING 10mph crawl up and down to Morzine due to heavy snowfall, and not much quicker along the main road through Cluses-Chamonix-Courmayeur due to traffic jams and so on.

2 hours is right on paper assuming good conditions, but I would allow an extra 50% if I was - say - arranging to meet up with someone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The time of day might be your issue.... whilst the authorities try and keep the roads clear during the day they can struggle early morning, but nothing that chains couldn't cope with.

Once you're down to Chatillon should be plain sailing up the valley to MB tunnel and out the other side to Aosta!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm leaving at 5 in the evening
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ah my mistake... shouldn't be too many issues!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowqueen11, it's a Sunday so the traffic from Morzine to Taninges will be nose to tail as will that from the Grand Massif to Cluses. Double your journey time for both those sections.

The tunnel should be OK. But you just never know.

paulio, very, very rarely does it snow that much at that altitude.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess I was just lucky then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, evidently. I have a garage you can live in for the winter if that sort of luck is persistent...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowqueen11, Hello, this is as easy as using a forum.

http://www.mappy.fr/
snow conditions
Doddle..the hardest part is getting down from Morzine... and depends where exactly in Aosta

In good conditions, I'd say you could get change out of 2 hrs
snow conditions
snowqueen11, It may not be cheap to drop off a hire car in a different country...

I asked for quotes last year for a similar thing and was horrified by the cost. I can't remember exactly how much it was going to be but a one way drop off fee of something like a couple of hundred Euros comes to mind Shocked

The explanation I was given is that the hire car will be in "the wrong country, with the wrong registration plates" when you drop it off.

Good luck - although you may be better off looking into public transport options (if they exist).
ski holidays
there's definitely a bus from CHamonix to Pila
latest report
What I might do is hire a car from Geneva, drive it down to Morzine and leave it there, then drive it to Italy, and then back to Geneva. Thanks for all the tips guys Happy
snow report
And then, how funny! The thread below this one is entitled 'Geneva car hire'. It's almost like I planned it !!!!! Laughing
snow report
snowqueen11,
28th being a Sunday, at 17.00 if the weather is fine there will be a lot of day trippers leaving the Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets area, so the usual 1.25 hours to the M.B. tunnel may well go out to a lot more(big queues to Tanninges & Cluses). Trust me I'm a transfer driver. Thats a good time to be coming up to resort, not leaving. Once you get beyond Cluses you will be going the right way and should have no more problems.

The 2 car hire companies in Morzine, ADA & Europcar are very haphazard(just agencies), the Geneva hire option is far and away best for you. Good luck.
latest report
snowqueen11, Are you going to be working for Interski? If so you don't need to go all the way up to Pila itself, only as far as Aosta, and there is a big carpark next to the Interski offices, which is easy enough to find. Its next to the gondola up to Pila. Oh and its cheaper to fill the car up with fuel in France first, or at least it was in April! Very Happy
snow report
hi freestyle andy, yes, I am. I meant Aosta, actually. So, depending on which hotel I'm in, I'll park the car there or in the car park as you say.

Cheers for the note about petrol

Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy