Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the worst airline carriers for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I was shocked with Crystal's baggage policy when I phoned them up today (I received the paperwork but no mention of luggage or carriage restrictions)

1. Sir, you cannot take your boots on as hand luggage they have to go in your suitcase and you can only have 20kg (what would happen if I wore my boots on the plane?! Just want to prove a point.)

2. Skis will cost £30 per pair! Yes- even if you have a bag that allows you to carry 2 pairs they want to charge £30 per set of skis!

TERRIBLE!

I think we should name them and shame them.

Who has also gone through this sort of curfuffle?

Tim Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage on security grounds - seems a bit stupid to me. But it seems only moderately unreasonable for an airline to do the same (it prevents you being stopped at security and they don't have to have different rules at different airports). There have been several threads on this.

Ryanair also charge £30 (£15 each way) and Easyjet charge only a bit less. Basically they would prefer if we had no luggage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get more vexed at the hidden costs of air travel, like the fees they charge to pay for using debit cards and even more for credit card (£6 and £12 on a Flybe flight booked last week).

What is irritating is the inconsistency of what is/not allowed in hand luggage Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and often the advice given by the airline and airport doesnt tally.

Shoot me if you like, but while £30 a pair is excessive, I don't see why there shouldn't be a charge for snowsports equipment.

I'll take cover now.......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lou wrote:
I get more vexed at the hidden costs of air travel

There are no hidden costs. The cost at the end is the cost and the only cost that is relevant

For something to be hidden it would mean you didn't know it was there? I am not defending the airlines but the bottom line is all that matters. For example we booked flights for a short break in March next year this week. On seeing the hidden (I could see it so was it hidden?) cost of taking our skis, £66, we decided against and will hire. If you don't like it, much like the off button on a TV, don't use them. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Many airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage on security grounds.......There have been several threads on this.

A mild understatement. The new server was there to take the existing 4,994,473,555 threads on this subject and to await the 10,955,156,993,556 new threads expected on this subject as winter arrives. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How much would people pay to have their stuff stored over here and then delivered to resorts as required? Is it worth my while renting a huge shed for the purpose? Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tbanting, Try wearing them - just dont stand in front of me in the xray queue Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tbanting wrote:
what would happen if I wore my boots on the plane?! Just want to prove a point.

Been tried and not allowed. In fairness in the event of a disaster I wouldn't want to be trying to make my way of a plane in a hurry with my boots on Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, you can get away with it in board boots - lots of seasonnaires do it. Whole issue gets a bit more pressing when you have to take gear for six months.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why don't you all drive to the Alps, load the car at home, take what you want, no surcharges for this that and the other, only marginally slower than flyer in the long run, considerabaly cheaper, you have a car to discover other resorts when you get there etc. etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fogliettaz, it's only cheaper if you ram the car full of people. If there's only one or two of you it costs a fortune in comparison.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, There isn't a 'fortune' difference between flying and driving even for 2. We are driving in January as a family as time isn't a big issue but we are flying in March as it is a shorter break so time is a big factor. For the 2 of us to drive across it would be about £550 and flying will cost us about £400 (flying, hire car, fuel, hire skis etc..). However driving will be a one day killer drive or leisurly 1 1/2 days. Flying 7-8 hours comfortable transport.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, ah, no-one said anything about car hire, just flights.

However, for Mr L to go to Sussex this week, return flight was 60€ and car hire £100. This compares unfavourably with your £550 even allowing for the fact that it would enable him to bring back a bootful of scrumpy, haggis and cheddar cheese. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Sadly though the airlines know when the best cutover dates are for skiing and are pricing accordingly as is there right to do. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, you do have to do the cost/benefit thing every time, which is a bit tedious.
ski holidays
I am doomed- I have also booked up a holiday in the states as well. Not sure what United's policy is. It's all so annoying.... I think I should have waited until the snow dome is built in Hemel Hempstead! Its only 5 mins away Sad
latest report
Lizzard, As tedious as your aggressive bird routine NehNeh NehNeh snowHead Sorry its what I am trained to do Sad
snow report
There seem to be a lot of people saying that boots are banned at some places in hand luggage. I'm not convinced of this.
The airline and airport security are two completely different operations run by completely separate companies.
An airline may say boots are prohibited in hand luggage but they have no way of actually enforcing that, they do not run the security or x-ray machines.

BAA who actually run most of the the airports and have responsible for airport security do not list ski boots among prohibited items list.

As far as I can see if they're in a bag that that meets the size requirements they can go as hand luggage, if you ask the airline they'll probably say no, so don't ask them and don't put them in anything that resembles a boot bag.

Has anyone ever seen a statement from BAA or other airport operator about ski boots?
latest report
thefatcontroller, you're accusing me of doing seagull impressions? You are bizarre.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
tbanting wrote:
what would happen if I wore my boots on the plane?! Just want to prove a point.

Been tried and not allowed.

I've done it 4-5 times (BA and EJ). Only once was asked to take them off by cabin crew, but they were perfectly happy with them in overhead locker.

rich BAA no problem. From memory snowHead reports are that Grenoble doesn't allow them, Bristol unlikely, Liverpool seems to depend on the phase of the moon.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
thefatcontroller, you're accusing me of doing seagull impressions? You are bizarre.
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
rich, I think this one has been done before. And it does come from the Airport more than the Airline. Certainly in the past some airport websites have said no to boots (Bristol?) But I have never had problems with boots through LHR or LGW flying BA, American and Air Canada, including many trips since the security panic a couple of years ago....

GrahamN, wonder how much life that takes off the boots? snowHead
ski holidays
Stansted say security say its fine- Crystal ski says no "Its a security risk". Am I going to hi-jack the plane with offensive smelling boots or threaten to stamp on someone's foot?!

I think you may find its more about the Thompson group trying to squeeze more money out of passengers. As for paying 2 x £30 for skis that are in the same skitube- mad!

Should have gone out on Eurostar like last year.
snow report
How the heck do you work out £550? A combination of via michelin and knowing how much my car costs to run gives me about £130 each way (petrol and tolls) even adding the ferry (£20) and extra for inevitable other expenses still brings it out much lower.
ski holidays
Swirly, don't start that one again rolling eyes

You're obviously not taking into account tyre wear, depreciation, burned oil, the 50p for the GB sticker, the 25p ice scraper etc. wink
ski holidays
This thread has got me thinking. This season we have clients flying out of a number of UK airports on different airlines. Many clients bring own gear (we don't charge anything for ski gear carriage), so I’ll contact the CAA via IATA and see what the "official" line is. I will also contact the airlines via the groups’ dept(s) to see what they say. We have to issue clients with final details and tickets and we normally add info on various other airport procedures regarding things boots as hand luggage and 2 pairs of skis in a bag. So I guess we should know at least.
I'll put the answers up for your evening entertainment. Although it may take a week or so to get answers.
latest report
Swirly wrote:
How the heck do you work out £550? A combination of via michelin and knowing how much my car costs to run gives me about £130 each way (petrol and tolls) even adding the ferry (£20) and extra for inevitable other expenses still brings it out much lower.

Each to thier own. The tolls for me are £70 each way and fuel over £300.............

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=899086#899086
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Swirly, don't start that one again rolling eyes

You're obviously not taking into account tyre wear, depreciation, burned oil, the 50p for the GB sticker, the 25p ice scraper etc. wink

Are you arguing against the cost or just being flippant for the sake of it?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, you didn't tell us you were driving an artic.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
thefatcontroller, you didn't tell us you were driving an artic.

A well documented Disco so about as heavy as an Artic Toofy Grin
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, I making the point that we have done this arguement to death, and that everyone calculates things differently.
snow report
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

There are no hidden costs. The cost at the end is the cost and the only cost that is relevant

For something to be hidden it would mean you didn't know it was there? I am not defending the airlines but the bottom line is all that matters. For example we booked flights for a short break in March next year this week. On seeing the hidden (I could see it so was it hidden?) cost of taking our skis, £66, we decided against and will hire. If you don't like it, much like the off button on a TV, don't use them.

Crikey keep your hair on! Ok so 'hidden' was a poor description but from the tone of my post you could see perhaps that my point was unreasonable card fees.
snow conditions
Quote:

Ryanair also charge £30 (£15 each way) and Easyjet charge only a bit less. Basically they would prefer if we had no luggage.

snowball, Ryanair now £50 (£25 each way) for a pair of skis or a snowboard Shocked Shocked It'd be far cheaper to buy them a seat on the plane - do you think they'd be allowed aboard without a passport? Laughing
ski holidays
blizt, Laughing you're right, ring them and ask them, if you can get through....
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
thefatcontroller, I making the point that we have done this arguement to death, and that everyone calculates things differently.

And I am arguing facts are facts Toofy Grin
snow report
thefatcontroller, possibly, but much less pertinent than perceptions.
snow report
Lou, If they charged more for the flight and nothing for the cards would that be better? Just to annoy lizzard the end bottom line is all that matters............
snow report
Lizzard, Puzzled
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, your blindness to the world around you bothers me not one whit. NehNeh
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, I don't mind baggage charges, choosing your seat charges (though ridiculous), fuel surcharges, paying for onboard food/drink, paying if you want to be first in the scrum but I get hacked off when I'm about to book, there's a great big flashing advert telling me I've saved x amount by booking online and then a whopping charge for using a card to pay. How the hell else am I supposed to pay online?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy