Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surgery and afterwards - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A bit off forum (or even off website) however I have seen a fair degree of posts from people who have had / are having surgery and also the occasional post from someone in the medical profession so I am hoping there may be enough expertise here to answer my questions. I am having complex therapeutic arthroscopy of ankle, with multiple bony, joint surface and soft tissue procedures and possibly repair of tendon of foot - flexor. This is happening on 23 Feb, the day after I come back from skiing. This is a longstanding injury that has been giving me a lot of pain on and off for years and I've finally had enough. Any chance of sking before the end of the season again ? I have a general thing from the surgeon that says no sports for 3 months Sad which doesn't seem to suggest skiing before May is an option. However he did emphasise he was concerned about impact. What about cycling ? That's my summer sport and I was planning a big trip in the dolomites but if I'm inactive for 3 months then a) I will be fairly unfit and b) I will probably have put on a bit of weight. If I can't cycle until May then I won't be fit enough to do the event on July 5 as it's fairly demanding.

Thanks in advance for all the responses (I hope !)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dsoutar, Sounds pretty sophistocated stuff. Our local sugeon usually puts people in an aircast boot for 6 weeks (Or plaster if he cannot trust them!) non weight bearing, then weight bearing for another 6 weeks before unsupported activity at 3m. Gentle cycling etc from then on. Are you biking in the mountains - I would think you will find honking pretty uncomfortable for some while after May even. Running etc is a variable return but the websites advise that it can take a full year to return to previous levels of activity before injury. You should be doing some prehabilitation before your op to get muscles in tip top tone.

Ther is probably someone with even more insight to follow this advice...

Good luck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin, Thanks. Yeah, plan to get as fit as I can in the next 6 weeks as I tend to get a bit chubby / unfit in autumn. The bike ride is all around the mountains - about 130km and 4000m of ascent. Curiously there are 3 options (this is the longest) but the smallest is actually the Sella Ronda. The only time I've actually skied and cycled the same route.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not an orthopod or a physio but recom that 1 month to get fit post procedure is pushing it a bit. May have to just suck it up and prepare for next season?? sorry Crying or Very sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 10-01-09 22:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsoutar, If your worried about getting fitness back then use the simple guide that for every week of inactivity you lose roughly 3 weeks of training so it you may be able to calculate how long it will take to get your fitness back up to pre surgery level.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy