Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comparing St. Anton and Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm organising a skitrip with my family this Christmas. Last four years (or actualy three out of four) we went to St. Anton which we found great. Love the atmosphere, the skiing, the proximity (only 7 hours drive from Amsterdam, NL). A great area to be in.

For this year we thought about going somewhere else for a change and came up with Zermatt (after scraping Ischgl (too noisy) and Kitzbuhl (too low) of our list). I do have quite a few offers from hotels, but we are still not really 100% sure if Zermatt suits us. Main concerns are if it won't be too crowded (last year in St. Anton it was 'almost empty' before the 25th of December) and above all if the resort isn't overflooded with rude Russian visitors.

Reading about it on the web, learns me that the atmosphere is more of less similar comparing with St. Anton. Could you give me advice if we should go ahead and go to Zermatt, or if we should stick with St. Anton/Lech/Oberlech.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eyeopener, I've been skiing in Zermatt at February half term and last Easter with no lift queue problems. I can't vouch for Christmas but there are a group of snowHead that go there regularly and there is a thread on the Trips forum. The only Russian we came across last year took out one of our group waist high, fortunately only a few bruises. Evil or Very Mad

It's a great resort with fantastic views and terrific mountain restaurants.

Edit - the thread I referred to is in snowEvents see here :-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39844&highlight=
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say the atmosphere at Zermatt was very different from St Anton. Verbier might be more your scene. Not been there for a while, though - so can't comment about whether the Russians are there en masse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
I'd say the atmosphere at Zermatt was very different from St Anton. Verbier might be more your scene. Not been there for a while, though - so can't comment about whether the Russians are there en masse.

In what way is it very different according to you? Is it more luxurious, more mondain? We like Lech/Oberlech very much too, so I don't know if that will be a huge problem...

PS. quepee: thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In my yoof (OK 15 years ago) I thought St Anton had a far livelier night life than Zermatt - and if a lively night life is what you were after, then Verbier is where I would go for. I must admit that with a -ahem- quite senior group last year, I had a very quiet night life at St A last year - but somehow I don't think it will have changed. Personally, I prefer Zermatt to Verbier - and from the tone of our last post, I think you might, too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eyeopener, Zermatt is not my personal favourite resort in Switzerland but it is most certainly worth a visit. Be careful with your hotel choice as the some places are a good way from lifts. The lift system itself is perhaps a weak point, and is most suitable for those who enjoy a slow and relaxing ride on some old train or other rather than energetic mile-munchers, and as such it attracts a elderly, moneyed crowd.

If the 4 different ski areas were linked by fast modern it would probably be the best resort in the world - but then perhaps that would detract from it's character

Some great, challenging skiing and fantastic mountain scenary, and the possibility of going over to Cervinia for something decent to eat!

If you do not like Russian people, don't go to Verbier, although personally I find them perfectly civilised and pleasant
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
Eyeopener, Zermatt is not my personal favourite resort in Switzerland but it is most certainly worth a visit. Be careful with your hotel choice as the some places are a good way from lifts. The lift system itself is perhaps a weak point, and is most suitable for those who enjoy a slow and relaxing ride on some old train or other rather than energetic mile-munchers, and as such it attracts a elderly, moneyed crowd.

our group this year would probably disagree - on all points ! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eyeopener, One of my mates that regularly goes to St Anton (boys trip) and Oberlech (family trip) went to Zermatt last year on one of his many ski trips. Whilst he liked it, there were as he put it 'too many snobby english types' for his liking - his words not mine. After the trip he still thought that St Anton region was better. As you are probably aware already St Anton is full of Dutch, which I think helps with the atmosphere of St Anton (the crashhy dutch are one of my fave nationalities I've came accross on ski trips).
I've never been to Zermatt so can't comment on it from personal experience. I will go there soon though, as I think it looks fab.
Depending on the make up of your family, ie any kids going??? Oberlech is a fantastic base - yes it is more expensive that St Anton, but worth that little bit extra. Think you might struggle though to get rooms this late in the day.
Good luck though as it's a tough choice
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:

If the 4 different ski areas were linked by fast modern it would probably be the best resort in the world - but then perhaps that would detract from it's character

Some great, challenging skiing and fantastic mountain scenary, and the possibility of going over to Cervinia for something decent to eat!

If you do not like Russian people, don't go to Verbier, although personally I find them perfectly civilised and pleasant

When did you last go. The new lift up from furg to the gornergrat side cuts out a load of the tosh...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, last year, but I only ever venture over from my beloved Cervinia. I'm there in a while, I'll take a look.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
bertie bassett, last year, but I only ever venture over from my beloved Cervinia.

Says it all really
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
the possibility of going over to Cervinia for something decent to eat!

Troll!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:
red 27 wrote:
the possibility of going over to Cervinia for something decent to eat!

Troll!

I've never tried it - is that a Swiss dish? Don't tell me, it tastes like chicken and is served with bacon, cheese, cream and potatoes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't write kitzbuhel off for being too low, its had plenty of decent snow early on the last few years.

Zermatts got plenty of russians, but they don't tend to ski so you don't notice them unless you want to wonder round the shops during the day
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
Eyeopener, One of my mates that regularly goes to St Anton (boys trip) and Oberlech (family trip) went to Zermatt last year on one of his many ski trips. Whilst he liked it, there were as he put it 'too many snobby english types' for his liking - his words not mine. After the trip he still thought that St Anton region was better. As you are probably aware already St Anton is full of Dutch, which I think helps with the atmosphere of St Anton (the crashhy dutch are one of my fave nationalities I've came accross on ski trips).
I've never been to Zermatt so can't comment on it from personal experience. I will go there soon though, as I think it looks fab.
Depending on the make up of your family, ie any kids going??? Oberlech is a fantastic base - yes it is more expensive that St Anton, but worth that little bit extra. Think you might struggle though to get rooms this late in the day.
Good luck though as it's a tough choice

We are Dutch, so thanks for the compliment Wink. We try to avoid the Dutch crowd however, we like a resort without a lot of them: there are a lot of places a lot more Dutchmen go. I can recommend you some if you like Very Happy.

Anyway: Thanks for the information so far evrybody. I'll discuss it with my family and will let you know what we decide!
ski holidays
Kitzbuhel has almost no challenging skiing but is a lovely place. Cervinia, which has miles of flat motorway and fairly limited off piste is also not the place to be if you want anything even slightly challenging. Stay on the Zermatt side and go over for the occasional lunch.

You can do some good Heli drops from Cervinia, though, and also from Zermatt unless it has changed policy in recent years.
Zermatt and Verbier are both really good resorts and places you have to experience, but all in all though I like St Anton best.
ski holidays
snowball, fair comment...
snow report
Eyeopener am i right in saying Flachau receives a fair share of the dutch??? Thats certainly the picture painted by my dutch instructor in wagrain??
ski holidays
If I said I'm considering having my stag weekend in St Anton but will be getting married in Zermatt, hope that puts the 2 places in perspective. Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 25-11-08 11:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
arlberg, more hookers in St Anton, more churches in Zermatt?
latest report
red 27, yes, agreed, there are many rugby types in st anton wink
ski holidays
I said I would let you know what we decided and know I can: we are going to Zermatt for a week during Christmas. We have booked a hotel very close to the Matterhorn lift, so we will be able to quickly go up the mountain. As I'm told its a 10 minute or so walk to the center of town, that will be fine too Smile. I'm looking forward to our stay in Zermatt, thanks a lot for your help!
snow report
Eyeopener wrote:
above all if the resort isn't overflooded with rude Russian visitors.

What have you got against Russians my firend. Madeye-Smiley
You mean you don't like polonium 210 Puzzled wink wink
Expect you gas to be cut off & a knock on the door. Shocked
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
arlberg, more hookers in St Anton, more churches in Zermatt?

Red27, I'll bow to your superior knowledge regarding hookers in St Anton Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy