Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
looking at that pic I'd take the punt on having to hike back up for the fresh tracks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Braveheart runs on Diesel and it gets airlifted round there ! Shocked Thus it has a quota of days that they can run it for unless there is sufficient snow and stability to cut a track and drive a Kassbohrer round via Rob Roys Return, given the steepness of the Traverse that needs a lot of snow, bloody big balls and good life insurance! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winterhighland wrote:
unless there is sufficient snow and stability to cut a track and drive a Kassbohrer round via Rob Roys Return, given the steepness of the Traverse that needs a lot of snow, bloody big balls and good life insurance! snowHead

And I'm glad that they don't try to cut that track too often and that even when they do it disappears just as soon as the wind blows. A large part of the joy of those corries is the feeling of isolation you get simply when you're skiing out with nobody else in sight, between rocks and contours on untouched snow. snowHead

BTW, can you call a chair that will only run 1/2 loaded, a 2-person ? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If anyone is interested I've put up some photos from the last weekend here if you want to have a look.

Most are from Glencoe, visibility wasn't so good at Nevis on the Sunday so not so many piccies from there, as s*ds law would have it though Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week have been pretty much blue sky days which must have been even more amazing given the brilliant snow that's up there at the moment (I'd say it was better at the Coe than in St Anton at Xmas!)!

Great trip and great fun, still buzzing from it now snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great photos - thanks!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just quoting this from Winter Highland

"Turning colder during Sunday with a bright start giving way to snow showers later. FL about 1500ft in the East, 2500ft in the West for the mid-day period, but falling during the afternoon and evening. At 3000ft -1 to -3°c and a SE wind around 25 to 30mph in the West, 35mph in the East, perhaps 40mph near showers.

Monday will see snow showers likely pick up in the East, some bright spells continuing out West. Sub-Zero at all levels with a 3000ft temperature of -5 to -7°c. Moderate East wind around 25mph gusting 45mph will give a severe wind-chill.

Tuesday at this stage (seems to have more agreement than Fri and Sat) looks set to see a trough bring more organised snow into the East, giving blizzard conditions for the Cairngorms to potentially low levels. Sunny spells and frequent squally snow showers for the Western ranges. Sub Zero at all levels with a 3000ft temperature between -7°c and -9°c. Wind Easterly 30 gusting 60mph will put the WindChill below the -30°c threshold and into the Dangerous - Exposed Flesh Freezes category."

All sounds very promising for some freshies next week.
latest report
 brian
brian
shoogly, indeed. wink

I imagine there will be some nice lines off Glas Maol next week, loads up big time from an easterly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we've got a room booked in aviemore next saturday so a weekend on the slopes would be good Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B*mmer, I can't get up to Scotland for a few weeks now and it's looking like big snow in the east next week!

Consolation is I'll be away skiing over the half term but you know, if there's snow and decent sliding in Scotland you can take your euro mega resorts and the like and stick 'em where the sun don't shine 'coz I'd rather be on the Scottish mountains!

Anyway, save some for when I get back, hopefully this'll see us through February and then there will be the usual 'lambing' snows in March/April for another epic late season.

Have a great time this weekend guys (and hopefully it won't be too blowy).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glas Maol already has a good base, the uptrack and summit traverse are loaded, Centre Gully is complete to below the foot of the pomas. Hopefully the weather hasn't prevented the final preparation being done this past couple of days as we could be seeing Glas Maol make it's debut for the 2009 season. Rain has seriously iced up the further out lifts which has restricted uplift on Friday though, also made the snow pretty slick. Slightly milder temps this afternoon and further showers should make the snow soften a bit, soaking up the rain, compacting and firming up as firm to hard packed snow rather than ice as it was in the freezing rain. Providing there are no nasty surprises like it suddenly getting milder and wetter all night than forecast, this storm cycle should be good news for base building, esp if the forecast holds for next week. Smile
snow report
 brian
brian
Well, if the 12z GFS comes off, there'll be no skiing at Glenshee next weekend. Sad

They'll still be digging the tows out !! Shocked Razz wink Cool
latest report
 brian
brian
Great news from the webcams this morning. Yesterday's thaw has done a bit of damage but the main snowfields look to have kept a really good cover and it will now be a well consolidated base. With a nice covering of fresh hopefully about to arrive, things are looking really, really good. Very Happy

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What are the chances of a good day at cairngorm tomorrow (monday)??

( Theres a deal on for students Wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast for tomorrow -
Bitterly cold east winds will maintain very low freezing
levels and bring frequent snow showers to eastern hills,
but mostly only flurries toward the west. Higher level
winds will approach gale force, giving severe wind chill

Headlines for the East Highlands:
Frequent snow showers, especially east Cairngorms NP.

OK, I think you can ski for a fiver, but???
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know it's a bit late, but here's some pics from Glencoe on the 24th Jan...

bigger versions here

hopefully there'll be nice snow and blue skis on saturday at Cairngorm for some better pics.

Very Happy
snow report
The Cairngorm webcams are showing huge potential for an epic weekend....

Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
shoogly, more snow later today and weather shaping up to look not too bad by the weekend.
ski holidays
good good...
ski holidays
With the amount of snow forecast you might even be able to ski all the way down to the Hayfield at the weekend - it's a really nice descent, but not often possible. Very Happy Great shots from the Coe - loadsa snow. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Cairngorm shut today due to having about 2ft of snow overnight Shocked
My partner and daughter drove up to Aviemore last night to get a couple of days skiing and boarding in- so pretty gutted really.I hope the A9 is open tomorrow or it will have been a round trip of about 700miles for sod all Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
From Cairngorm:

"Thursday 5th February. 8.20 am Car Park Weather Wind 10 - 15mph, Temp -4 c, Heavy snow. Visibility 100 - 200m,

Have managed to reach Car Park level. 45- 60 cm (18 inches to 2 foot) of snow on road and in Car Park. "

Shocked Very Happy snowHead

I'm taking the kids up on Sunday (think they need some Scottish skiing to keep them honest wink ). I'm currently thinking Nevis might be a better bet because although it hasn't caught quite such a mega dump everybody and their granny will be heading for Glenshee and the Gorm.

I think Scotland is approaching 100% openness, let the queue carnage commence ! Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
carla, fingers crossed for them.

As of 9am the Cairngorm ski road is shut but the A9 is open.

The A939 (Lecht) road is closed both sides.

The A93 (Glenshee) is open from the North but closed from the South.
snow report
Fingers and toes all crossed !. They are currently sitting in the car about 3 km from Cairngorm itself,and they say the road is totally clear so can't understand why the actual car park etc is closed ?
They can see all the lifts and my daughter said it's agony to see it look so good and not being able to get up there !

Lots of other people in cars waiting around too. Some folk have started to walk up and they are considering doing the same.
Is it worth it, does anyone know?
snow conditions
carla, My dad used to ski Cairngorm before the lifts - drive to Glenmore and walk to the start of the snow and then skin the rest of the way to the summit. they used to do this twice in a day. Shocked
ski holidays
I've been told Glenshee is looking good for tomorrow. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers x
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glenshee or Cairngorm - anyone any idea which is better bet for tomorrow? Roads, runs, weather? thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at the piccies on the cairngorm website (click on the Gallery) http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/ . Lots of digging out was needed, plus a number of the staff and equipment were involved with the mountain rescue that was on over wednesday/thursday. Looking good for tomorrow though.
snow report
Have a look at http://ski.visitscotland.com/centres/
Choice is yours forecast at http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.PDF
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I much prefer www.winterhighland.info to the visitscotland website.
latest report
Was at Glenshee today and it was pretty good. Got to the carpark at 8.30 and was skiing about 9am. It was pretty wild for about the first hour then it cleared up and was lovely and bright for the rest of the day. Most of the runs were in good condition. The top of the Cairnwell T-bar was a bit wind scoured but the race track and Butcharts was lovely. Most of Sunnyside was good as well and ended the day over at Coire Fionn so imagine it would be pretty much the same tomorrow.
snow conditions
Cairngorm got battered Thurs with 60cm of pow.

Lecht also got puked on.

Does anyone know if it is possible to ski down to the bottom of the chairlift at Glencoe or the bottom of the gondola at Nevis Range?

Perhaps SnowHeads should ping out a snowreport via email on Fri and get the word out?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Whitegold wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to ski down to the bottom of the chairlift at Glencoe or the bottom of the gondola at Nevis Range?

No to both.

Quote:

Perhaps SnowHeads should ping out a snowreport via email on Fri and get the word out?

Perhaps they shouldn't bother, it's going to be overloaded enough as it is. Confused
snow report
More snow fell last night and they are still clearing the road up so it's not open yet.

2ft of powder on the white lady though is worth waiting for Very Happy
ski holidays
shoogly,

I checked cairngorms website where it says the road is open. That was around 9.20am this morning. I'll be there tomorrow - sitting in work at the moment though Sad . Hopefully I'll get away early and have a bit of a xc ski locally and then pack for the drive over to cairngorm tomorrow.
snow report
"Yet more snow overnight topping up the dump we all ready have. I had to dig my way in to the top station. Groomers and tech team and Patrol out getting ready, further update to follow.
There was a couple of inches fresh on the road and as long as the wind does not get up we should have it open soon
The lower slopes are in great condition and almost full width. The Fiacaill Ridge Piste still has a lot of rocks just underneath the surface. Coire Cas will be running full length as the top has caught a good amount of fresh snow and is in excellent condition. The White Lady in fantastic condition with 2ft of powdery snow. The M1 piste and M2 will be assessed later today.
Check out our gallery for some of the pictures from yesterdays adventures! We are in early now to get as much running / pisted / dug out as quick as possible.
The top runs and lifts are on hold at the moment as is the west wall side"
snow report
 brian
brian
Another interesting little front just arrived at the Gorm this morning. Will hopefully have enough juice in it to get down to Nevis as well. Very Happy

Plus this morning's ECM output is cold right through next week ! (Although GFS wants to warm things up by Thursday, but let's ignore that for now wink ).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some rather tasty pics courtesy of the Gorm here on flickr
snow report
I like it - the hot chocolate looks better than I remember Smile
snow report
espri, I had a hot chocolate at Cairngorm today and can confirm is was rather nice. Unfortunatly it was a white out above the midstation so I didn't see all the snow rolling eyes
Felt like there was a lot though Toofy Grin
latest report
II, were the lifts running at all up to the top?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy