Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Elizabeth B, it is probably a guess at this time what the weather will be like at the weekend. If conditions hold up/more snow falls I would say it is more than worth the journey. I spent 6 hours in the car driving today for my 1 days skiing! If you can wait till last minute (decide to drive up Friday afternoon perhaps) that would probably be ideal.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey Elizabeth B, also thinking of heading up myself snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, snowHead Maybe we should get a carload or two again!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe start some sort of minisnowHeadsScotlandbash thread or something? If Saturday weather is good I may make the trip!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, arv, could well be a goer but I need to access the weather tomorrow and, most importantly (lol) seek permission in order to preserve matrimonial bliss...

... so I'll get back to you on that one but the apparent prospect of top to car park riding at Glencoe has rather excited me I have to admit!

Go ahead and start a thread though guys and I'll hopefully join you over there once relevant permissions have been given Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:
does the nevis range gondola open at 10 at the weekends as well as through the week? I think Nevis Range will have my companionship this weekend Very Happy

weekends earlier. 9am officially probably but sometimes even a wee bit before that. would expect they'll update site thursday-ish with the overall plans for the weekend
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here you go guys, have started a thread here about this weekend snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wew were at Glencoe today and had a great time. The pisted areas were a little narrow as you would expect but the quality of the snow was very good and there was some good freshies to find if you are so inclined. Just watch out as the avalance risk was at 4 so Flypaper was closed. We boarded from 10.00 up till around 2pm when the visibility dropped and to be honest we were starving.....
It's possible to board back down to the carpark although the bottom section can be a little challenging but well worth the effort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ac505, was it windy/poor vis?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the cloud base dropped
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Photos up from CairnGorm Today:

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=503

Unfortunately was only up for a half day in the afternoon and missed the bluebird morning! Lot of drifting going on by late afternoon, very fine powdery snow so it was tending to load into the natural snow fields more than the fences, thus the Cas and Gunbarrel and White Lady had the best of it today. Cas is quite narrow up top, but beautiful snow, White Lady is fairly wide now and was definitely the pick of the day.

Big storm setting in tonight, snowing again in the West, leading edge of the warm front is just nudging into the Gorms. FL will rise later in the night to near the summits, so wet snow driven on by storm force south winds for a time, then a refreeze tomorrow. Potentially good for continued base building, but will have to wait and see what morning brings. FWIW the wind as I type this is 115mph at the Funicular Tunnel !

Nevis Range photos (thanks to Chris H): http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1203
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where's the best bet going to be for the weekend then? Is the west still best, or is Cairngorm likely to be equally as good. The freezing level seems to be falling in all resorts so any new snow should be good. Shame there was a slight thaw, but at least that will consolidate the base when the temps go down again.
snow report
 brian
brian
Webcams still look good this morning, so it looks like everything came through without much damage. Very Happy

shoogly, I think I'd go west, they look like catching the best of the snow showers between now and the weekend. Weather currently looks quite nice for Saturday with a puny little transient ridge of high pressure. Might start ok on Sunday too, but looks like the next fronts will be quickly pushing in through the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saturday it is for us. Will wait til tomorrow to decide, but glencoe seems a good bet Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, Glencoe had buckets of snow when I drove through.
snow conditions
All areas have had further snow showers, but more consistent snowfall out West again with several inches of new snow last night and today, still snow showers packing in. Less snow over the Cairngorms, but CairnGorm and Glenshee continue to see drifting of lying snow which is helping improve the natural snow fields and fenced runs.

Weather looks set reasonably fair for Saturday, light to moderate winds that shouldn't cause any problems. More snow showers out West, more and longer sunny spells to the East.

Nevis Range and Glencoe have the most snow, with substantial accumulations over the past week, but CairnGorm and Glenshee have a selection of green, blue and red runs available. White Lady at CairnGorm has had fantastic snow this week and has been filling in more through the week.

Get the toys in the car and head somewhere on Saturday.
ski holidays
tickets are all booked up and ready to go Very Happy

ps. anyone going to glencoe, go onto their website and there's discounted tickets available (limited numbers though).
snow report
Winterhighland, nice one.

I've just booked rail tickets to zip up to see my daughter at Edinburgh Uni - 28th, returning 29th - so that's not much use for skiing! Have a blast on my behalf.

What's happening in the Ciste - gun barrel nice and full?
snow report
Snowing HARD at Glenshee when I left today about 3.
snow report
Pix from CairnGorm Saturday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=506
latest report
Great photos!

Any long range predictions for next weekend? Or is it simply too early to say?

Cheers
Ben
ski holidays
Big and rareish avvy in Glencoe on Sat. Three dead:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article5581569.ece
snow conditions
Yep very very sad news re the climbers. Though Scottish avalanches are anything but a rarity.

Pretty epic conditions in Scotland at the moment - especially West Coast. These taken at Glencoe on Saturday:

Photos can be seen here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/gc/winter200809/09jan24/

One of the photos:
latest report
thinking of heading upto Glencoe on Wednesday if open or upto Glenshee. hopefully weather stays cold
latest report
The snow on Saturday was amazing... really really had a very good day.

Did think otherwise on the first chair up though, with a biting 40mph wind in the face. It was all good though once on the hill. The best snow for me was on Spring Run, and it wasn't seeing a lot of traffic, so was good all day. Shame it took me half the day to find it (only 2nd time up at glencoe).

I have some photos but they all need to be processed (raw format) but i'll get a few up through the course of the week.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi folks Toofy Grin

Got back at midnight last night after skiing Nevis on Sunday until gone 4PM.

Glencoe was superb on Saturday, the snow was better than St Anton at Xmas and, as always, lines down the mountain to be had all over the place.

Nevis was wilder on Sunday but excellent snow and good for practicing skiing technique (and balance) in a whiteout.

Really sad to see the news about the deaths in Glencoe, we passed the rescue operation and saw the helicopters coming over when we were heading down to Fort William at the end of the day.
latest report
Hi all,

Hopefully heading up to Fort William in 3 weeks for a couple of days - apart from checking on here, how should we choose which resort to go to each day? - any recommendations welcomed as neither my brother or I have been up there before!

Cheers in advance

EDIT - Also sorry to hear about the deaths. RIP.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
keep an eye on http://www.winterhighland.info

lots of recent pics posted there through the season and they have a round up on each resorts conditions.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed for next weekend. Hoping the weather's kind to us.

We're going to wait until Thursday to decide either way. Will we get accomodation easily enough near Glencoe at that late notice? Any recommendations for cheap N cheerful accomodation?

Thanks!
Ben
snow report
Cheers shoogly - that looks great - hope I can get it on my iphone when we get there Smile What's the concensus, Nevis or Glencoe btw? - as we're boarders the less drag lifts the better!
snow report
my mate was boarding with me at glencoe on saturday and didn't get on to well as the majority of lifts are drags. bear in mind that glencoe is a very out-dated resort - but that is part of the charm of the place... that and the brilliant terrain.

not been to nevis so hopefully someone else can help you there.
ski holidays
cool ta- can manage the drags, just would prefer not to! - Nevis seems to have some chairs... Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
boardiecouk, Nevis has 3 chairs but only one is likely to be much use !

Snowgoose quad - serves some nice scenic cruising pistes but really you're going to be wanting to get up the Goose, Warrens and Summit tows to get to the best front of hill stuff.

Great Glen - really just used for access to the Rob Roy beginners area.

Braveheart - temperamental old 2 seater serving some cracking unpisted terrain in the Nevis back coires. However, you have to be a fairly reasonable standard to ride in there, it's a long traverse back round and the lift is seldom open.

Glencoe has 2 chairs.

Access - no surprises here, access to the main ski area ! It is possible at the moment to ski back down to the base but this will inevitably involve a bit of heather hopping etc. So you wouldn't expect to use this more than once a day.

Cliffhanger - fairly short but historic wink single seater, serves some nice runs. Again, though, the best bits of the mountain need you to get on up the top tow as well.

The best range of lift served terrain not needing a drag is actually probably at Cairngorm where you can use the funicular.
ski holidays
thanks Brian, Braveheart may be an option then (both my Bro and I are pretty well seasoned boarders - not with Salt and Pepper!) - will check out the maps - poss some Snowgoose cruising to 'get our eye back in' ! Smile
latest report
 brian
brian
boardiecouk, back coires currently have high avvy risk so they may not open at all, and even if they do, I'd be amazed if they were ready to run the Braveheart this early in the season.
snow report
Well, three weeks before we can go anyway so maybe will doublecheck nearer the time!
latest report
 brian
brian
btw, current weather outlook is for a an occluded atlantic front to stall over the highlands and possibly get pushed backwards as high pressure builds over Norway.

Depending exactly where it stalls (very uncertain) it could be dry, rainy, snowy, mild or cold. wink
snow conditions
hah - that precise? Smile
latest report
brian, why do they open they back corries but not braveheart, seems very odd to me opening a run but not the lift to service it
snow report
 brian
brian
rambotion, partly it's because you can often ski down from the summit to around the top of the lift and then traverse out round to the front of the mountain even when there's not enough snow to reach the bottom of the braveheart ...

But other times when the snow level does go low enough, I don't know, tbh. The lift is a bit temperamental, it was bought 2nd hand from Italy I think , and has never been very reliable. Plus it's in a very isolated location so I imagine getting to it for maintenance etc. won't be high on their (cash strapped) priority list.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy