Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
boardiecouk, sorry that you picked a grim day & hope you've dried off. Smile Cairngorm should be a bit drier / snowier tomorrow though so let us know how the snow's holding up because I may well be heading there on Wednesday with my two boys. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just leaving cairngorm after a superb day. Very busy though, top car park was full and shuttle buses were running but huge queues, we walked it. Vis was pretty great aside from some mist at the top, fair amount of patches around but nothing to worry about despite the thaw continuing. Get there early and use the drags to climb the mountain as the train had massive queues.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski scotland wrote:

RUNS Most runs to the East of the main road are complete with soft snow but some of the connections between the runs are thin in places.
Cairnwell and Butcharts runs are thin and narrow .

someone is telling porkies!!

the change in the mountain over the past week is unbelievable.

lower slopes on the sunnyside (adjacent to the road) are a disgrace, down to a couple of meters wide in places, very rutted and difficult, some grooming would have gone a long way to resolving this.

Moving up onto Meall Odhar is not much better but dropping into Coire Fionn there is some good cover but access requires care as the upper section is down to about 1-2 metres wide.

Best conditons on the mountain are definitely to be found on Glas Moal, still sugary and hard work though.

didn't even attempt the Cairnwell side, condition looked very poor when viewed from sunnyside so decided to stay put Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

lower slopes on the sunnyside (adjacent to the road) are a disgrace, down to a couple of meters wide in places, very rutted and difficult, some grooming would have gone a long way to resolving this.

Have you tried grooming very wet soft snow? May well have done more damage than good. May well have to wait for it firm up before it can be succesfully pisted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how are we looking for this weekend in any of the resorts?

which should I head for?!

sarah
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
some pretty brisk winds forecast, though have been downgraded a bit since yesterday (over 100mph were forecast originally!!), you'll need to keep an eye on it and be ready to roll if the forecast eases further, but right now it aint looking too promising
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmmmm....i have to cancel the car i've hired within 48 hours or lose the whole thing!

rephrase that. hired a car. paid for it. organised a group from work to go. if i cancel i will lose the full amount.

we need to go to one of the resorts - which is the lesser of two evils?!

thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't go this weekend. the difference last weekend between saturday and sunday was amazing and i wouldn't like to think what it will be like after another 5 days of warm temps. Wait till the next big snowfall, there will be at LEAST 1 more in march if not april.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountain forecast here:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.PDF

refreshed each day in late afternoon-ish, as I said it's been downgraded since earlier in the week but so far still looking pretty blowy (westerlys would be pretty much accross the tow lines on Cairngorm too, which would increase the risk of closure sooner than straight up or down the lines). Lecht can escape the wind sometimes but dont know the layout well enoguh to call it for this forecast
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, like i said. transport paid for.. i'm not losing nearly £100. I have to pick somewhere to go. End of.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hey barry, this one is just for cairngorm. i know Nevis is looking patchy but anyone any ideas of Glenshee or Glencoe?

ski scotland says glenshee maintains a good layer of snow.

sarah
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you've layed out already, then come on up - leave your resort pick till last minute, keeping a good eye on the forecast and reports and you may get lucky. Worst case it's a good road trip, sampling the local delicacies and hooch??!! Thaw is stripping things pretty quickly right enough but if the wind does stay away there's still plenty to play on
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you'll get reports for the rest on winterhighland.info, and the equivalent forecasts for the other regions at http://www.mwis.org.uk/areas.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I took this at the top of the Glas yesterday lunchtime, cover on top is good but as I said very heavy going

but further down it is patchy

and around the Meall Odhar cafe

hope posting pic's here won't upset anyone
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Despite the thaw and some very mild temps (into the teens) top to Daylodge riding remains possible on CairnGorm Mountain offering up 1650ft of vertical. On Wednesday and on mid and lower slopes on Thursday there was some great surface conditions as the snow started to come back to us, with good loose and fast granular spring snow giving good sport for advanced riders on the White Lady, M1 and Ciste Gully, for intermediates there is an excellent longer cruisey blue from the top of the Coire Cas Tow to the foot of it via the Fiacaill Traverse, Fiacaill (either fenced run or further out on the ridge) then back to the Tow via the Zig Zags. Top Basin retains good cover with fantastic areas for less experienced skiers and boarders.

All Cas side mid mountain runs remain complete including all Gunbarrel avoidance routes (Lower 105, Chicken Gully and Zig Zags all remain in decent nick), but the Gunbarrel itself is wide and fairly flat - tame by it's standards. The Ciste Gully and upper (no 1) East Wall Gully are in good nick over the Ciste side for advanced riders, though traverse back to the lift is a bit picky. M2 and either the Aonach Bowl or Overyonder also complete back to the West Wall Poma with spring snow.

The lower slopes are thin and narrow in places, but still skiable to the Cas Car Park by all the various options on the Carpark Runs and the Fiacaill Ridge. Daylodge Run off the M2 is still just passable by those confident doing very tight turns in a confined space with no room for error! Twisted Evil

Friday looking much more promising than a couple of days ago for the East, only light to moderate winds and a fine frosty start. Does mean snow will be hard at all levels to start, but loosening into granular spring snow from the bottom up as the Freezing Level climbs. Vis should be good with some bright or sunny spells and staying largely dry in the East.

For those who can only get out at the weekend, hard call, but given the strong winds the Lecht or CairnGorm are probably the ones to shoot for. Glenshee will be very limited if they can't get out to Meall Odhar and Fionn Coire. The forecast Munro Level gust speed of 70mph is at the cut off for the Funicular. With milder temps there will be good spring snow and no risk of being engulfed in a whiteout on Sat, and in marginal wind situations overhead and surface conditions will swing it whether the Funicular runs for skiers or not and the entire Cas side can be skied off it. Lecht being lower will have some degree of shelter, though the tops of the tows will still be fairly exposed. Runs have held up surprisingly well between the fences given just how mild it has been and it being the lowest area.

Some pix:

^Ciste Gully on Thursday afternoon.

^Coire Cas Gunbarrel on Wednesday afternoon.

^Ciste Bowl on Wednesday afternoon.

Photos from CairnGorm (Wed): http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=529

Photos from CairnGorm (Thur): http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1382

Also photos from Glenshee(Wed): http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1381
snow report
 brian
brian
888dee, post as many pics as you can, cheers !

Still looks surprisingly good.
snow report
Hopefully getting colder into next week and some fresh snow reported today in the west - some rain forecast between now and then though Sad
snow conditions
Everyone goes on about how great it was in the 80's, but these latest pix look exactly how I expected it to look at this time of year back then too. Ridge cover is not the normal state of affairs in Scotland after all. It looks great!
ski holidays
The Nevis Range looks to have filled in nicely overnight, http://nevisrange.co.uk/winter/fun/webcam.asp, and with the forecast for the week to come bringing the freezing level down to 300-600m there could still be some more great sking to come for Scotland!

I would appreciate any info from the Nevis Range as I'm up there in 12 days and was getting nervous that no time was going to be spent on the hill!

Thanks
ski holidays
Well there's good chance of fair snowfall in the next few days so you might get off alright. Just never know though, look at the transformation a week of snow made only to be undone by this heavy thaw!!
latest report
Hi, I'm new to Snow Heads. I went skiing today at Cairngorm and the afternoon was surprisingly quiet for a Sunday. There's still a reasonable amount of snow from the mid-station up, but today conditions were quite icy. I was on the mountain on Tuesday when the snow softened by midday, but today it remained very firm. Traverse, Coire Cas, Gunbarrel, 105 and Ciste Fairway have full cover but the Zig-Zags are very icy and patchy on the last leg. There was a little snow/hail today but next week should be better with snow forecast. Very Happy
latest report
manicpb, I was hill walking a few miles away from Nevis Range today. Fresh snow down to around 700m. Only around 5cm with some drifted areas around 30cm.

Should have freshened up the runs quite nicely though. If they ever open up the back corries this season then I'll be making a trip.
ski holidays
Snow Time, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, thanks very much.
ski holidays
I am thinking about making a trip tp Cairngorm Wed 4th/Thurs5th. Conditions should have improved with some snow forecast for Tues3rd. Any info on current conditions appreciated. I will be travelling from Glasgow on Wed morning leaving about 7AM as I will be staying overnight with a mate from Weedgieland, Mount Florida area,..anyone who wants a lift can send me a message with details.
ski holidays
Just looked at the webcams & would say Nevis looks way better than Gorm right now. WH WLcam is an improvement but far from all white. Expect WL run & M1 poma might be back in action. I looked recently at Nevis, (I think Sun night) Crying or Very sad snowline barely visible on the Rabbitcam. Now, completely white Smile Coe might have even more snow - but the cams are covered & the access chair is broken - they say planning to reopen thurs. Check the cams on WH & the resort websites. Too busy to fit in anything now Evil or Very Mad but going to make use of this snowfall soon.
snow conditions
The west has been plastered Very Happy It's been snowing down to 400ft here all day on and off - may have a look up up Ben Aslak after work tomorrow.
snow report
It's absolutely chucking down with snow here at 150 metres. I know this weekend is going to be busy but (so long as they get that chairlift fixed) me and my boys will be heading to Glencoe on Saturday morning as we've never managed to be there when the summit to car park has been skiable.

I can't wait. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nevis and Glencoe are getting pasted, accumulated radar returns are looking at over 50cm, maybe as much as 60-70cm depending on snow density on the upper mountain levels.

Could be a delayed start on Wed, if the weather holds Thursday could be epic, but so could Wed be too once things get up and running. Should be a good few hours of snow yet for the Cairngorms, around 6inches in the last 8hrs for CairnGorm, should freshen up the runs with a good base hugely to give some great sport as well.

Right, I'm off to Fire & Ice to pig out then packing the gear ready to hit Kirkwood for the powder day of the season !! (If the road re-opens..... Shocked )
ski holidays
Looming at the webcams conditions are looking awesome at Glencoe, excellent at Nevis and very much refreshed at Cairngorm snowHead snowHead

Shame it looks unlikely I'll get up this weekend Crying or Very sad

Hey Alan, you back out in Kirkwood?
snow report
Actually The Goose at Nevis Range looks awesome today:

Someone's getting freshies - lucky barstewards!
latest report
Last night's blizzard delivered ... Toofy Grin

Somebody was allowed to do this to the snow at Glencoe today without it being their final act.

If you know Glencoe and where this second picture was taken, you'll know that this picture tells a story of a lot of snow. Very Happy

And with this amount of snow at the road level, ski to car park should be a goer.

ski holidays
And the photos from Nevis are in and are here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1398

not mine i'm afraid:
ski holidays
Nice
snow report
Cool beans.
ski holidays
Fantastic
latest report
Nevis is reporting another 6-8 inches (I make that 15-20cm) overnight - wow! snowHead
snow conditions
roga, sounds as though you need to take the family up there quick!!!
latest report
I think someone should pay me to stay out here, its dumping at home and dumping at Kirkwood since I arrived in South Lake! Laughing
snow conditions
what...snow wrote:
Just looked at the webcams & would say Nevis looks way better than Gorm right now. WH WLcam is an improvement but far from all white. Expect WL run & M1 poma might be back in action. I looked recently at Nevis, (I think Sun night) Crying or Very sad snowline barely visible on the Rabbitcam. Now, completely white Smile Coe might have even more snow - but the cams are covered & the access chair is broken - they say planning to reopen thurs. Check the cams on WH & the resort websites. Too busy to fit in anything now Evil or Very Mad but going to make use of this snowfall soon.

Thanks for this advice..I decided to take it and went to Nevis rather than Gorm on Wed 4th. Here are some pics from that day..really good conditions.

And here are some pics from Glencoe on Thurs 5th...even better conditions than at Nevis.

Car park in the morning.

John, Paul and Chas from Falkirk...thanks guys for letting me tag along with you on Thursday...boarding on your own is OK but it's much better with good company.
If anyone thinks they know these guys I'd appreciate a contact e-mail address.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy