Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf wrote:
cairngorm friday.....snow was amazing but I kept thinking how much more amazing it would be if I could see

Word to that.

Think I'll be firing up north somewhere this saturday, keep up the awesome updates guys!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers bikeandsnow - thinking at the moment of exactly what you said - a couple of days at Nevis and a day at Glencoe - particularly as there're such good deals on the passes at Nevis. - Hope the weather's kind for our drive up (from Nottm) and that if weather forces us to go to Cairngorm we'll enjoy the drive anyway!

As you said we'll keep an eye on winterhighland..... Just found out one of my colleagues is heading up to Nevis on Tues so hope to meet him for a coffee up there too (or a wee dram if its more fitting!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bikeandsnow, great report. Very Happy Ronald, that's correct, lack of money for repairing the existing uplift as the train costs a fortune to keep. Customer numbers isn't a problem and I noted Bikeandsnow's comment about weekend queuing to get up the hill. The West Wall chair would have fixed that on Saturday.

Those weekend queues go away by early March though.

Espri, thanks for the good wishes, they worked. Little Angel Lordjohn, you're right, Glenshee snow was awesome but what's more, every lift was running, the sun was shining and being midweek, there was no queueing snowHead

More pix and report ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1336

Awesome firm snow under the headwall on Glas Maol

Queue for the Glas Maol poma

Sunnyside from the Tiger
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely if the snow is often at its best in March and April, but most punters assume the season is over its a case of marketing.......esp now as it is so exspensive to go abroad. Having been up for a long weekend last weekend, many of my colleagues at work were incredelous that I had had a good time, but after seeing the pictures I reckon a couple are thinking about heading north themselves. What the Scottish resorts need are some tax dollars to overhaul the uplift and install some seriosly modern snow making that can put down lots of cover when the temps dip below freezing, combined with good snow management. Now that would be good use of my tax dollars! The one thing that did make me chucle was the focus on environmentalism at Cairngorm, to be honest although the area is nice its not the most spectacular landscape on the planet and the highlands on the whole seem pretty empty, its also a very man made environment and without so many sheep,deer and grouse would look very different in its "natural" form. Still had a good time thou, just a shame it all seems so much on a knife edge....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

hat the Scottish resorts need are some tax dollars to overhaul the uplift and install some seriosly modern snow making

Most of the scottish resorts have experimented with snow making systems but only the lect (it might actually be glenshee but I cant be bothered to check now) has the right balance of humidity and temperature for snowmaking systems to work which is why none of the other resorts have them rather than a lack of money to install them.

And would you want to invest in scottish ski resorts, the meteroligists don't seem to want to, the winters are getting shorter and there is a thaw set to come in next week, especially over the western resorts, that I can't see anyone wanting to invest in them untill someone proves that this winter is the start of a new trend. In which case I would happily invest Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great photos - thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion, Apart from Nevis range the scottish resorts are mainly skiing in gullies, so my now many of them will have more than a couple of metres of snow. thus they contiinue to be skiable after a thaw. the ridges will get bare, but look through some of the pix from various resorts. That's what skiing is in scotland, although most skiers only think it's good when the ridges are covered like now.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
moffatross, is your first pic skier's right of the entrance to the Glas Maol black ? I reckon that slope, although pretty short, might just be the steepest lift served skiing in Scotland. I'm away to find a protractor. wink

easiski, the main run snowgoose run at Nevis is a pretty deep gully, several metres at least, and it's currently just about completely flat !
snow conditions
 brian
brian
espri, steeze ! Pre-White Lady t-bar as well and by the looks of it, no elephant fence. Got any more pics from around then ? IIRC, the 1964 season was supposed to have been really poor. I read somewhere (prob winterhighland) that Glenshee built the sunnyside lift following the bumper snow year of 1963 and could only use it for a few days.

Thanks for posting that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, you lucky so-and-so! Great series of pictures in your PR bringing back memories of the day before. I was not sure whether it was Wed or today you were going up to Glenshee; I hoped it was Wed as it was fabulous weather in Peebles as I walked over the lower hills. We were originally to go up Wednesday but had to pull forward 24h; nevertheless we had a superb day as reported previously. Today here in the Borders light snow all morning so far.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone going to Glencoe this saturday? (14th).

Couple of friendly intermediates looking for a lift from the Glasgow area (sorry I know this isnt the right sub-forum).

Willing to travel to pickup point and share petrol costs....and hopefully a great day of skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I forgot to mention, at Glencoe on Tuesday, there were 2 low flying jets passing over the mountains right next to the resort.
Does anyone have any information on these fighter jets?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've seen the RAF fly Tornados over there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:
moffatross, is your first pic skier's right of the entrance to the Glas Maol black ? I reckon that slope, although pretty short, might just be the steepest lift served skiing in Scotland. I'm away to find a protractor. wink

brian, yes, that's exactly where it is, hop over the fence to your left a few hundred metres along the traverse just as it gets flat and where to continue you need to hoof or pole. For a short part of the pitch, it's about on a par with the Fly Paper at Glencoe but as you say it is pretty short and secondly there is no exposure to rocks etc below so it's nowhere near as intimidating. I tried several approaches to it last February though but bottled out each time when I saw the blue ice on the cornice rollover. Yesterday however, all the ice was higher up just down from the little wooden wind fence by the traverse. The snow on the cornice and below was great. Grippy stuff, mostly untracked which still made a flattering spray every turn. snowHead Life is sometimes near enough perfect. Little Angel

lordjohn, I'm glad you had a good day too. Very Happy The only plus side to yesterday from what I can gather is that we had the Tiger open in the afternoon. On the other hand, the Tiger really wasn't up to much as it rattled your fillings and had no nice snow on it. I was in Portobello this morning where there was plenty of snow falling but Glasgow this afternoon was just wet. When I got home to Moffat, it was snowy so I hope we both see plenty of white on our hills tomorrow. I might try a hike and slide over your way soon ... have you any recommendations where the road gives you some decent height to start with ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
espri, Got any more pics from around then ?

I haven't really got much, not on the computer, anyhow. But if I find anything that seems interesting amongst my chaos Embarassed, I'll post it.
latest report
moffatross, I don't think we have any areas to match your Moffat hills where you appear to have road access to high points but to be honest I haven't investigated and probably never will due to advancing years Sad .
ski holidays
Great write up on the Ski Club website by Arnie Wilson who has just been skiing in Scotland with a big wig from the US ski industry.

Selected quotes:

"I was staggered by the grandeur of the highlands. We had perfect conditions – blue skies, stunning scenery and excellent snow."

"Verdict from Bernie “Astonishingly good. I had no idea skiing in Scotland would be so impressive.” "

"it was so good I am pinching myself"

"Bernie was so carried away with the grandeur of the mountains that he said: “Look over there. That peak looks just like Big Sky, Montana.” Praise indeed! "

Nice to read all that, quite life affirming really snowHead snowHead snowHead

Full article here
snow report
has anyone got an alternative link for the scotland adventure pass? - Can't get the website to work and we're heading up north on Sunday.... Have emailed them but if anyone else has a 'back door' let me know!
latest report
 brian
brian
boardiecouk, have popped them on my webspace:

http://home2.btconnect.com/anniviers/nevis-range.pdf
http://home2.btconnect.com/anniviers/cairngorm-mountain-ski.pdf
latest report
 brian
brian
roga, thing is, all this kind of stuff is being written as if it's a once in a life time thing.

Ok, conditions are really great just now, but there are almost always fantastic days every season, you just have to learn to read the weather and conditions and be poised for action.

If you just rock up any old day between January and April, good luck !
snow report
brian, absolutely one of the biggest misconceptions is that any decent days are once in a quarter century events, as you say there are superb periods most seasons - off the top of my head in the last few seasons I can think of March 2006, January and March/April 2008 and January/February 2009 when big dumps of snow have led to sliding as good as anywhere you care to name.

However there are those around who will discount the idea that even on a good day Scottish skiing is as good as anywhere and articles like the one I mention above show how wrong they are.
ski holidays
Best time for me happens every year At Nevis Range when only the summit tow and top half (steep half) of the goose is open in April... Sun, spring snow and a steepish run with not too long tows and no queues.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Far prefer that to my trip to Cairngorm yesterday when there was wall to wall snow but it was snowing and the light wasn't great....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So what time of the year is the best bet to plan a trip to the Highlands?

I convinced a mate of mine to go against the mainstream and go for Scotland some time in the future (Unlikely to be this year though).
Since we're in the Netherlands, we'll need to plan ahead a bit Wink

Tips?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, guess that depends on what you like? March is generaly considered to be the best month for best mix of snow and overhead conditions....
snow report
To my mind it's a matter of seizing the moment; you cannot really plan ahead much as there may be very little snow about. We are all getting quite carried away here as the conditions have been superb. But the Scottish Highlands can change from a classic "Alpine" environment as it was earlier this week to Arctic or a "cold wet snowless place" in a matter of a day or two. It's fine if you are only a couple of hours away like me. I could tell Tuesday/Wednesday would be fantastic because the crowds would be absent as it was midweek and the forecast was glorious. Then we had a lot of snow on Thursday which made travelling very difficult with some roads impassable.
snow report
II, Something that involves working lifts. So preferably no heavy storm;)

For all I know there are no guarentees for conditions anywhere, and thats especially true for Scotland. Just looking for the best chance to get something Wink
snow report
lordjohn, well seising the moment is a tad hard when you have to cross the pool Smile

Currently conditions are about as good as it gets in Scotland, as was March-April last season from what I saw here and on Winterhighland...

So i'll have to make a bit of a gamble, thus its important to know when the gamble has the best chance of becoming a fun week.
ski holidays
Ronald,that's a hell of a gamble.

FWIW, the best 'warm settled' weather in Scotland is often in May under the influence of a strong sunshine in a dry high pressure cell. Three years out of four this holds true and in 2008, this was in fact all the 'summer' we got. Late March into April often delivers heavy mountain blizzards. Factoring in those two and you might be tempted to place your gamble on the second half of April. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ronald,

If I was in your situation I'd go for mid March to early Apriil. I reckon the best chance of decent conditions is over that period. But there is no gaurantee, this being scotland there could be very little snow or you could be stuck with blizzards, high winds and no chance of sking cos of blocked roads and no uplift for the period you were here. However there's plenty of other stuff to do even if you can't ski.
ski holidays
moffatross, I realise Scottish weather is ... somewhat unpredictable and.... somewhat extreme, so nobody will be able to give any guarentees...
snow report
cheers [bold]
brian
[/bold]

much appreciated - got a response from them saying it all works fine there so must have been a problem from my work's end
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking the east, 'Gorm and Glenshee, would be the best bet for tomorrow (sun 15th)? Thanks
ski holidays
Its thawing slowly but there is so much snow out there it'll take a while. Driving through the forests yesterday evening was alpine with the trees bent over with the sheer amount of snow on the branches.

I've been out east today and there is a stupid amount of snow even down to lowish (300m) levels.

if you are prepared to hike/tour for your turns then all the better as you wont have to queue.

Have fun, Mike.
ski holidays
Spent the day today running a skiddoo around the xc trails in the Clash to pack them down. Snow is still over 1m deep in places. I'll not complain about the pisting at Cairngorm again having spent the day doing it myself. Providing the snow doesn't get too soft and wet tomorrow we may try and run the roller and track cutter over the trails, though we may have to run the skiddoo around on its own to pack down a wider area first - plus there are a couple of trees down across the trails that we'll have to remove first aswell.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, What you ventured into woods with all this snow..... do you have a death wish.... what if a branch where to fall on you Laughing
ski holidays
Or alternatively the large quantities of wet snow that are falling off all the trees at the moment due to the warm temps. Wink. Trying to drive an underpowred skiddoo trough deep snow and drifts was a damn site more risky - though you didn't here it from me or tha idiot from the FC might say we couldn't piste the tracks when there was snow on the Smile
latest report
Dave Horsley wrote:
we may have to run the skiddoo around on its own

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Laughing
latest report
barry,

It would be nice if it would do it itself - then I could have spent the day skiiing instead of pisting. Wink
snow conditions
hi, in fort William having a local ale in the grog and gruel and hoping it'll cool down a bit by tomorrow! Snow report once we've hit the slopes....
snow report
Ok, tried Nevis range this morning and pretty much all closed, went to glencoe instead and snow was good, vis was not great and we got soaked due to rain and mist....Spring run ok but rocky, plateau was excellent but patchy but most fun was a gulley next to the one-man-chair, gonna try cairngorm in the morning :0)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy