Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good places for two weeks of on piste skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

My wife and I went to Whistler for 2 weeks last year and loved it, so are thinking about another 2 week holiday somewhere else this year. We're good intermediates on piste but not into off piste skiing or bumps so were wondering if anyone had any suggestions of resorts that could keep us interested for 2 weeks of on piste skiing?

We're not bothered about there being lively apres ski and we like staying close to the slopes. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help us find somewhere? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rickyp2, do you want it to be in Canada again or Europe? If you want Europe then for what you've said you want, and with enough to keep you busy for 2 weeks, then the Three Valleys fits the bill. Plenty of accomodation near to the slopes. Huge ski area with 600km of pistes.

Or, less mileage with this one that 3V but you could try the Espace Killy (300km of pistes) staying in Tignes for example, again you can get accomodation next to or very close to the slopes and there is plenty of varied skiing there on piste to keep you busy for a fortnight despite it being half what the 3V has. Personally if I was going for 2 weeks I'd rather go there than the 3V but that's me, for intermediate piste bashing then either would be suitable although some people say the skiing is a bit more challenging in Espace Killy than 3V.

I've not been to Portes du Soleil myself (Morzine and Avoriaz), but again there is 650km of pistes to keep you occupied.

If you want Canada again then Whistler obviously fits the bill, not sure about the others as haven't been to Canada (yet).

Also, you could look at Ski Welt in Austria (250km of pistes) or maybe the Dolomites in Italy e.g Skirama region with 360km of pistes.

I've probably missed some but I'm sure someone else will be along in a bit to give you some more possibles.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

It's true, you have to decide first will it be Canada or Europe. If you want to try Europe you can go to
France: (Tree Valleys- Val Thorens, Courchevel, Alpe d' Huez, Val d'Isere, Les 2 Alpes)
Italy: ( Madonna di Campiglio, Sestrier, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Cervinia, Alta Badia)
Switzerland: ( Zermatt, St Moritz, Verbier)
Austria: ( St.Anton, Ischgl, Zell am See, Mayrhofen)
you can also ski in Andorra, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies. They are very interesting. Because we had such a good time in Whistler last time, we were thinking more of Canada or the US than Europe. Do you have any suggestions outside of Europe?

Thanks very much.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rickyp2, hmmm I've not been to the US or Canada as I said, I'm going to Fernie next year but I don't think that's going to be what you're looking for! You could check out www.welove2ski.com and do a search on intermediate resorts to get some ideas for US/Canada.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rickyp2, i would recommend a couple of weeks in California, perhaps flying into San Fransisco then heading for a week or so skiing the many resorts around Lake Tahoe followed by the rest of your time in Mammoth which is about a 4 hr drive from Tahoe. You could then fly back from San Fran or LA
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about somewhere like vail? You have the bonus of the lift pass covering you in other nearby resorts like beaver creek, keystone etc...?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would second the Lake Tahoe resorts. Or Aspen/Snowmass etc. There's plenty of cruising in both areas.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all of the tips. We've had a look at the suggestions and on the welove2ski website and we really like the look of Aspen / Snowmass, though the others look good too.

I've had a look back through threads on this site about Aspen and Snowmass and found out some useful info but still have some unanswered questions in my mind, so was hoping that someone might be able to help me with them.

1) It looks as easy to sort out flights and accommodation myself as going through a tour operator. I've never done this before. Is it easy enough to arrange ski and boot carriage when flying on scheduled flights? I think I'd have to fly down to Heathrow from Edinburgh, then Heathrow to Chicago on United Airlines, then Chicago to Aspen airport (as the 4 hour transfer from Denver doesn't sound too appetising).

2) Snowmass seems to offer lots of slopeside accommodation which I said I liked in my original post, but Aspen is said to be a nicer, more atmospheric place to stay. Is Aspen set up to make it easy to get to the slopes wherever you are staying in the town, or is there lots of annoying walking with skis to be done?

3) Is it worth considering 7 days in one then 7 days in the other?

4) Does anyone have any recommendations of good, mid-range (i.e. not 4/5 star but not backpacker either) accomodation in Aspen or Snowmass?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rickyp2,
Quote:

1) It looks as easy to sort out flights and accommodation myself as going through a tour operator. I've never done this before. Is it easy enough to arrange ski and boot carriage when flying on scheduled flights?

Having booked my trip to Fernie the other day through Inghams (which were using Zoom flights by the way to Calgary from Manchester), and then the next day I think it was Shocked Zoom went bust, I was very glad I had booked with a TO because Inghams are going to sort out different flights to Calgary free of charge (apparently).

I don't know whether I would have lost money on the Zoom flights or not had I booked them myself. Puzzled Perhaps someone could tell me if I would have done or not as I don't know.

I've not done the DIY route myself but I'm sure it's easy enough, just that a TO offers a bit of peace of mind that you're not going to lose out if anything like I described above happens, or if your flight was redirected say to another airport because of bad weather or something like that, TO's sort another transfer out rather than you having to rearrange your transfer plans that you had sorted yourself.

Someone who has done DIY a lot to Canada will be along soon though to give you more info on what you asked and hopefully tell me the answer to my question about DIY and airlines going bust too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think VolklAttivaS5 summed up options very well. Interesting though it is for a change, Fernie is not a patch on L'Espace, Killy, the 3V, Ski Weldt, or even the Ports du Soleil, in my view, for intermediate on-piste skiing, IMV.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Briancon perhaps? Lots of skiing closeby if you have a car.

You have Serre Chevalier, Puy st. Vincent, Risoul, Vars Milky way (including Sestriere, Claviere and Sauze d'Oulx in Italy and Montgenevre in France) very close by. With Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez a bit further a field.

There resorts are all have pretty good snow records.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lake Tahoe area, Aspen or Vail would probably fit the bill -

Vail used to brag about the number of pisted slopes ( dont know if its still true )and they also groom at lunchtime. We saw around 14 piste bashers heading out to the bowls for lunchtime grooming Shocked

Similar in Aspen having the variety of the four mountains all with groomed pistes, and an excellent bus service between. Just stay in one place and bus between - Snowmass is 20 mins by bus Smile Theres plenty of bus stops around the town and free shuttle buses in town too. Its genreally geared up for skiers using buses. Last time we were there we had around a 2 min walk to the bus stop which serviced all the mountains. Personnally I would stay in Aspen rather than Snowmass as I prefer the town Smile Skied mainly Highlands and Snowmass though wich are both out of town.

Flying into Aspen airport can have its problems, last time we did it we spent the night in Denver airport as the flights to Aspen were cancelled due to bad weather( winds mainly.) This tends to occur quite a lot. An alternative to Aspen airport is Eagle airport which is a much shorter transfer then Denver around 1.5 hrs IIRC

Ski carriage on scheduled airlines is usually FOC ( always has been for us ) you just need to inform them at the time of booking

VolklAttivaS5, regarding flights booked DIY, I would have thought your credit card would have covered them, and surely your holiday insurance would have them covered Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Similar in Aspen having the variety of the four mountains all with groomed pistes, and an excellent bus service between. Just stay in one place and bus between - Snowmass is 20 mins by bus Theres plenty of bus stops around the town and free shuttle buses in town too. Its genreally geared up for skiers using buses. Last time we were there we had around a 2 min walk to the bus stop which serviced all the mountains. Personnally I would stay in Aspen rather than Snowmass as I prefer the town Skied mainly Highlands and Snowmass though wich are both out of town.

Absolutely agree with all of this, save that there seemed to be a lot more cruising in Snowmass - Aspen seemed more challenging to me - so that might be a good reason to stay there. If shopping, or even just window-shopping, is something you and your other half like to do at the end of the day, though - it's Aspen, no contest!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles,
Quote:

I think VolklAttivaS5 summed up options very well. Interesting though it is for a change, Fernie is not a patch on L'Espace, Killy, the 3V, Ski Weldt, or even the Ports du Soleil, in my view, for intermediate on-piste skiing, IMV.

Yes, I think you can't beat any of those for on piste mileage can you! Yeah, Fernie is not a resort that fits the bill is it! Laughing that's why I'm going. Toofy Grin Can't wait to sample all of the terrain they have to offer there I must admit! I'm not sure if any of it is pisted actually is it? If not then no worries I'm hoping it isn't Very Happy Very Happy

Bones,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, regarding flights booked DIY, I would have thought your credit card would have covered them, and surely your holiday insurance would have them covered

Yeah you'd think so wouldn't you but this is something I wasn't sure of. Just glad Inghams are picking up the bill this time and sorting it out for nowt. Hope they change 'em to Air Canada flights instead, I will see what they do.
ski holidays
Three Valleys.
latest report
Ski Amade area austria, though you'll need to hire a car to make the most of the 650-odd kms of piste
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I don't know whether I would have lost money on the Zoom flights or not had I booked them myself. Puzzled Perhaps someone could tell me if I would have done or not as I don't know.

Get you with your 2 weeks in Fernie.... Refunded as long as you a) paid on a credit Card and b) it cost over £100, the latter is a sure thing I guess. Lets hope Mr Ing and Mr Hams paid Zoom on the company CC right?
ski holidays
red 27, does it matter which credit card you use i.e do only some cards cover you for stuff like that? Just wondered because I will more than likely sorting out my own DIY trips to Europe in the future. I do prefer to have a TO on board though for going somewhere long distance like Canada for limited faffing.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, no all CC's are the same - covered by the Consumer Credit Act... one of the lawyers will be along shortly to elaborate.

Agrees about TO's for faff free sometimes, especially long haul
latest report
red 27, ok yes of course CCA. Forgot as never had any problems, haven't needed to claim.
snow report
I've just realised, from reading this thread, that I've recently done something quite silly, which is to pay a (more than £100) deposit to a TO, using my debit rather than my credit card. The TO in question, in common with a lot of traders nowadays, were proposing to charge a supplement on use of a credit card, so I thought, blow that, I'll use my debit card instead. Potentially a false economy. Quite a woozle trap, that.

Isn't sHs wonderful?
latest report
Hurtle, yes I did the same because I didn't want the credit card charge. Also-I noticed from my paperwork that when it's time to pay the remaining balance they take it off the same card you've used for the deposit (I don't know if they all do this mind you or if it's just this particular TO). So that means had I used my credit card for the £120 deposit, I'd be charged a fee then and also one great big fee when they take the balance which is about £1000 I think. Shocked
ski holidays
But if the TO is "bonded" you'd be covered if they went bust, I think? However the majority of travel insurance packages, AFAIK, do NOT insure against airline insolvency.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

if the TO is "bonded" you'd be covered if they went bust,

Yes, I think that's true.

Quote:

the majority of travel insurance packages, AFAIK, do NOT insure against airline insolvency.

No surprise there!

On the whole, probably best to hedge one's bets by paying with a credit card, even if there is a (not too extortionate) charge on top.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,

Quote:

red 27, ok yes of course CCA. Forgot as never had any problems, haven't needed to claim.

I got my Zoom claim into my CC provider last week: I was told it would take about a week for them to process. I'm not anticipating any problems, as the case seems pretty clear-cut.

(Holds breath, crosses fingers and touches wood)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 8-09-08 20:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
i think its only 5% charge if you pay on your CC so for £1000 its only £50 in my book id rather pay the £50 and be feel safe in case anything did happen like the TO going bust. from what the news said, if you booked thruogh zoom direct and paid cash you wouldnt get any money back as they arent AFAIK so the good old CC is worth it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy