Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should i come over to the darkside?

Poster: A snowHead
ooh ooh, what about anti clockwise switch regular or goofy, hahahahaha. I'm ill, brain is failing me.
And is a switch half cab really a normal 180 nollie Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I LOVE this thread. There's one thing that marks out the snowboarding 'mindset' . . . it's the desire to experiment.
It does get harder as you grow older and experience . . . how should I put this? . . . multiple traumas, but that desire never diminishes. Looking down the short path of few footsteps to my dotage I will still want to try and very likely fail to achieve innumerable technical feats of boarding skill . . . maybe I might manage to stick one of them but it really won't matter if I don't, I will have tried.

Remember, snowboarding is a state of mind and not just the tool you use to ride the mountain and if you don't come off he hill with a 'semi' or at least feeling a little 'moist' at the end of the day . . . then you're just trying too hard and not letting yourself experience the magic of the mountains.

The 'Darkside' is only a affirmation of fear by those that are unwilling to push themselves beyond their 'comfort zone'

snobunni, the fact that you've asked this ? is proof that you should push beyond your self imposed boundaries . . . welcome to the 'darkside' Twisted Evil

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 7-09-08 9:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, here here snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snobunni, went with my mate to Tamworth yesterday to accompany on his learn to baord in a day thing.

He was knackered by the end (he's a very broken 36 years old) but he enjoyed it despite not passing the course. Out of the dozen or so who did it, only three passed and even they didn't get a certificate!! He asked the instructor ho they'd be able to tell whether you've passed in futre and his reply was; "we can tell the people who've been taught". Funny that, I've only had 1.5hrs of tuition and I was razzing around like the best of them...

He's still mega-keen to keep boarding though so I said we should just do the frsh trax thing in a morning at MK.

I was chuffed though managed to do my first ollie into 50/50noseslide and then ollie off the box and do a 180 off a tiny kicker they had. Felt magic Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman,
Quote:

Out of the dozen or so who did it, only three passed

Shocked Shocked Blimey! Not being funny but that's not a very good result is it?! If I was running a Learn to Ski in a day as the instructor (which is from "never been on skis before" to "the ability to use all lifts, perform controlled linked turns, control speed and direction and stop confidently" and only 3 out of a dozen or more of my group got to the required recreational standard then I'd be having a good hard look at myself! I'd be gutted. I would expect at least half of them to get up to standard or I'd think I was going wrong somewhere as the instructor. And £95 for the day only to have more lessons to get up to scratch? 'Kin 'ell! rolling eyes And! £165 if you go Nov-March! Goodness me.

To be fair though, I think 9.00 to 5.00pm is too long a day, no wonder your mate was knackered, I was knackered after my 2 hour lesson up there, but like you, I was making turns from the top within an hour and half of that. I had a bit of prep before on a dry slope though as I said earlier in this thread so wasn't completely new to it mind. Personally I think it's better to go for an hour's lesson (the most difficult I think, the first hour on a board), then go away and come back and have 2 hours lesson and do it like that over a couple or a few sessions. Plus sounds like your mate's group was pretty big. That's too many people to manage properly in my book no wonder hardly any of them "passed".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, totally agree - 9 to 5 is a long day and longer than your average day on the slopes in a resort.

I was udert he impression that everyone passd, no matter how much the instructor had to do to get the pupil to that stage. My mate said a few people actually dropped out through the day too.

I thought he looked good on a board and confident in such busy surroundings. Even I was a bit all over the shop at the start of y two hours because of the sheer number of bodies on the slope.

We're going to MK at some point soon but he's adamant that he's coming to France in March. I've reassured him that even if he has to do a little refresher lesson as soon as he gets there, he'll feel soooo much more confident with a massive playground to go at, rather than a busy saturday on an indoor slope.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, tremendous line in pretentious nonsense there, well done. Laughing

andybabes, where where?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman,
Quote:

I was under the impression that everyone passed, no matter how much the instructor had to do to get the pupil to that stage.

Eh? Thought you said earlier on that only 3 of them passed it because you were surprised they didn't get a certificate. I don't think they do certificates there, I didn't get one anyway.

Quote:

My mate said a few people actually dropped out through the day too.

I'm not surprised, the first hour I had on a board my calves were aching like billyo. Not sure I could have hacked a full day of it myself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if i'm not getting a certificate i'm not going lol
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
why would there be a pass or fail? surely you are just learning for the fun of it? is it a structured qualification or something attached to it? if you fail does that mean you are nort allowed to board in the dome?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, what I mean is I thought that these things were pretty much a guaranteed pass. Didn't even contemplate that you could 'fail'.

rayscoops, in a sense you have to 'pass' to meet recreational standard and be allowed to go on the slope, or so they state. You either do the 'board/ski in a day' course or you do the series of individual lessons.
Like I said before, I've never done any formal lessons up to MK or Tamworth's standards but I have never been told to leave. However, total noobs who follow the domes' literature to the tee may think they have to do ALL of the tutored sessions to be able to make a visit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, what a load of old bollax eh ! I thought this was supposed to be fun Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, too true, too true.
I suppose the domes want to ensure a high level of health & safety so peeps must meet the recreational 'standard' but I saw some shockingly bad boarders and skiers on Saturday who looked like they could have done with lessons themselves; no control, no stopping technique.
Saw two skiers who were flying down like Franz Klammer, nearly wiping out some noobs on the way down. They were told off but not asked to leave, even when they continued to go full-throttle down what is a very confined slope. Proper tw@ts.

I just stuck to throwing shapes off the kicker with all the little 'groms'!! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, I was under the impression if you can link turns they will let you on the slope, so I suppose having a certificate that says you can link turns means that even if you look a bit timid they will ley you on.

I think I should stay away from these places on a busy day - sounds like a nightmare unless you are learning to do a few kickers Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, link turns at Tamworth I think. MK you have to be able to use a drag lift - i'd never used a drag before because I avoid them like the plague when I'm in France!! Smile

I agree with you. Weekends and late afternoons seem busiest times. Been early morning on a Snowheads meet day in the week and it was great. Not that busy at all. Plus it's cheap in the morning at MK.

Deffo gonna get into the freestyle nights though at Tamworth. Been there before taking photos and it was a nice atmosphere and not that crowded.
ski holidays
Specialman, rayscoops
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, what I mean is I thought that these things were pretty much a guaranteed pass. Didn't even contemplate that you could 'fail'.

Ah I see what you mean now. I thought you were saying you thought all of the people in your mate's group passed although he had said that only 3 of them had passed so I was confused sorry. Well if I'd paid £100 or more to learn to board in a day I'd be a bit naffed off if I didn't get to the required standard and had to have more lessons.

Quote:

I suppose the domes want to ensure a high level of health & safety so peeps must meet the recreational 'standard' but I saw some shockingly bad boarders and skiers on Saturday who looked like they could have done with lessons themselves; no control, no stopping technique.

Yeah, that's it. Technically any old noob could rock up there having had no lessons (at Tamworth or elsewhere, or if so, very limited) and claim to be at recreational standard. If this happens and the "stewards" see them skiing or boarding obviously not at recreational standard then they have the right to boot them out and often do if they are clearly not at that standard, and the person having claimed they are recreational standard and then turn out not to be after all can expect no refund of slope time as a result. I think they can tell at ski/board hire though whether the person is au fait with it or not and then they might check the ones who seem a bit green.

And yes, mid week is best time to go like a Monday night or something.

Quote:

However, total noobs who follow the domes' literature to the tee may think they have to do ALL of the tutored sessions to be able to make a visit.

If they're starting from scratch then technically they are meant to I think, but the girl that taught me on my 2 hour board lesson said I could go there and board myself without going for the 3rd and 4th lesson like you're meant to which was good. I think if you're at the standard already then they don't insist you do the other lessons, this is why I believe in going the seperates route and potentially you save yourself quite a lot of money in lessons you don't actually need to get to where you need to be whereas on the learn to board day thing you've paid £100 or more whether you're linking turns after 2 hours or after all day doing it.

Recreational standard at both MK and Tamworth domes is the same AFAIK-be able to use a drag lift, stop confidently and in control, link snowplough turns etc etc.

I too have seen skiers mainly I must admit rather than boarders bombing down that piste only to only just stop when they get down the bottom and it really pi*sed me off to be honest, especially when I was shadowing there last month and you're trying to concentrate on keeping your group safe from these prats that insist on doing what I describe. Dunno why they're not booted off. Often old enough to know better they are as well.
snow report
I think of myself as a decent recreational boarder as I can go down reds confidently if not elegnatly...I even do the odd black....But I never did use a drag lift with a board.
So if I wanted to go to a snowdome I would not be allowed in without a lesson?
If yes, do they do "drag lift" lessons? Toofy Grin
latest report
Kruisler, yes you would be allowed in. From what I've seen most people unstrap their board and hold it under their arm, and holding the drag lift rope, they let it tow them up the slope while they walk up. Not that many keep the board on and use the tow as it's meant to be. It's much easier and quicker I think to walk letting it tow you than using the drag lift properly, even if it does mean unclipping at the bottom. This is assuming a rope drag tow by the way, obviously if it's a poma tow you have to get on it.

They are more concerned with people getting on the slope who can't turn who will obviously will be a danger to themselves or others.
snow conditions
MK seems to be a proper drag lift, and I saw a boarder falling off at the start Laughing
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, got your msg - no it wasn't the Tom Selleck lookalike. Seemed like the instructors were just mulling around at times, having a chat and not paying attention to their customers.

rayscoops, aarrrggghhh, that draglift at MK is a ball ache because it's so worn down to the dendex stuff underneath, your board seems to stick to it. I hate it but it's a neccessity. I was walking up on the conveyor at Tamworth - miles easier than keeping one foot clipped in.

Great glasswork on your site by the way Very Happy
snow report
Specialman, the one I'm thinking of didn't look like Tom Selleck far from it, just had stubble and a tash and was tall.
latest report
just want to share my horrible experience in skiing..i had my legs fractured coz i accidentally fall off from a deep hole until i couldnt stand at all
latest report
well i did it . . . had my learn to board in a day course at tamworth on tues . . . didnt get to recreational standard Sad but will be going for more lessons till i master it! When i did get it right it felt amazing and well worth the pain from the whiplash like injury i sustained lol
snow conditions
snobunni, excellent, hope the aches subside !! not every one links turns on the first day (and even then it is just a few tentative ones) and normally it is day two or three when most people are riding the mountain by linking turns with any confidence

Specialman, thanks for that, your site is great too. I need to get a proper web site up and running soon though rather than the blog and I should be able to fund it with a European backed grant soon (new rules/funding in place from 1st sept 2008) because we are poor down here in Wales Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
... we are poor down here in Wales Very Happy

I know. U sed to live in Carmarthen for 3 years. Became well-versed in routing through bins for my nex three-course meal as a student - the competition from the locals over a wheely bin was immense. Good pickings!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
snobunni, well done for giving it a go. You'll be right once you've had a couple more lessons. Very Happy
latest report
snobunni, well firstly good effort for trying it, that already puts you above most skiers IMNSHO. Secondly it's good that you're going again, the first couple of days can be very painful but it will suddenly click and become very easy.
ski holidays
you're right there Swirly, i've heard the phrase "click day" bandied about and that about sums it up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg wrote:
you're right there Swirly, i've heard the phrase "click day" bandied about and that about sums it up.

After "click day" you can look forward to the unexpected random and high speed arrival of "catching your toe edge day". Nothing like that to give your confidence a big kick in the nuts I can tell you, still, it's all part of the great learning curve. Smile
latest report
stab wrote:
rogg wrote:

After "click day" you can look forward to the unexpected random and high speed arrival of "catching your toe edge day". Nothing like that to give your confidence a big kick in the nuts I can tell you, still, it's all part of the great learning curve. Smile

is that known as "snap day"?
snow conditions
thanks everyone, well i'm looking forward to my click day, not so much the snap day lol

ringing Tamworth at lunchtime to book the next lesson in
snow conditions
snobunni, well done you !D

BTW any response from Phil Smith yet ?
snow report
IncogSkiSno, thanx, i loved it to be honest . . . or at least i did in the last half hour when i had odd moments when it felt right, i must admitt the rest of the day i was wondering why i was putting myself through it when i can already ski lol

Not heard anything from Phil yet but they'll have only just got back from the 7 volcanoes trip yesterday or early hours today so i dont expect i'll hear anything until later in the week.
ski holidays
well done for sticking with it snobunni. snowHead
ski holidays
OK I'll bite.

What is this

Swirly wrote:
snobunni, good effort for trying it, that already puts you above most skiers IMNSHO.

supposed to mean? Shocked
snow report
In my not so honest opinion I have no idea Wink
snow report
rayscoops, good try but I reckon its .... In My Nerdy Snow Heads Opinion wink
latest report
badzy wrote:
just want to share my horrible experience in skiing..i had my legs fractured coz i accidentally fall off from a deep hole until i couldnt stand at all

Great contribution Very Happy
snow report
Just to echo some of the sentiments earlier in the thread:

The first time I went boarding was in Heavenly, Tahoe in 2005. Each of the 7 days I was there for was a powder day and there was a 150cm base layer.
I had never boarded before so I spent the morning of my 1st day having a lesson in which I was taught falling leaf and that was pretty much it.
By the end of the trip I could link turns and could make my way down-piste reasonably competantly, having received much patient coaching from the group of experienced boarders I was with.

Although this wass a great trip and I loved every minute of it. I so wish I had done a one-dayer at a snowdome before-hand. The resort and the conditions were so perfect that I really regret the fact that I couldn't fully appreciate them, at least for the first few days, as my boarding wasn't up to scratch.

I would encourage anyone to at least learn to board to a basic level before going into the mountains. I don't think you'll enjoy the trip any less if you don't, but you'll "waste" the first few days learning, when you could be out there making the most of the snow and slopes that your hard earned cash has paid for.
snow conditions
just booked my "finisher" course once i've finished that its practise, practise, practise til i get to the mountains in december!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy