Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon/ Flaine/ Samoens

Poster: A snowHead
stevo_the_saddler,
Quote:

our longest queue was the first day at the GME in Sameons at 9 am for about 5 mins.

What a difference a year makes. We had 30 mins @ GME so went to thered eggs for 8.45 thereafter, and an hour to get off the plateau. no skiing below the plateau though last Feb.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin Nicholas, I would expect beer and a tartiflette if I have to wait 30 minutes!!! Never seen a que that long in the Grand Massif area - even in the restaurants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm off for a long weekend to Les Carroz on Saturday (1st March) - any snow updates from anybody that has just returned from/or is still in the Grand Massif? I see that snow is forecast for this week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
simo1234, Just got back from a week in GM. Lower runs shut off last friday to Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz. Signs up all week that bottom 3 km of cascades was 'verglace'- black ice and I suspect that after a week of sun it was even worse - I didn't bother! Flaine still has plenty of good packed snow although bottom of Tourmaline was getting cut up. Afternoons were pretty slushy - quite a few bodies being sledged off last week but it was half term. All the blacks are heavily mogulled but skiable apart from the very last bit down to Samoens. I would definately go for the area rather than local pass if you don't get any fresh snow. We had a fantastic week tho . Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simo1234, I go back tomorrow (I was there 2 weeks ago). Les Carroz tends to get "rocky" when snow is thin. Head over to Flaine, it will be fine up there. I might try to get online during the week so will let you know if I can before Saturday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gutted - just realised all the wonderful snow forecast for the weekend has gone! Sad

This is typical - I go on a girly weekend on Wednesday - no snow

My hubby goes next Wednesday on lads hol - plenty forecast!!

Exactly like last year!

Any news would be greatly appreciated!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waterskibabe, might see you in coveys if you are in Samoens - I will be one of a group of 11 (there are 2 women to keep us in check! I will be wearing a ski jacket and jeans wink snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevo_the_saddler,

I'll be the one skiing with an unberella attached to my helmet! wink

No fair weather skiing for these girls!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Umbrella even!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Lower runs shut off last friday to Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz.

When you say to Samoens, do you mean to 1600 ? Going to Samoens for 1st time on Sunday so not knowing the resort what do you do when you get off the Gondola at 1600 and there is no snow - do you walk to another lift to get higher ? And what about coming back to 1600 to get the Gondola - if you can't ski to it what do you do ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi all just got back on Saturday from Flaine,

Coulndn't believe how quiet Flaine was considering it was 1/2 term no queues in Flaine and snow was holding up although it did start to get heavy in the afternoon.

We did venture into Samoens one mornig the first run from Flaine ( vans lift ) was a little stoney but then lovely into samoens 1600 , however we q'd for ages to get back as everyone was heading into Flaine.

we didnt bother again.

As the snow softened in the afternoon some of the off piste became lovely and soft off the side of the main roads allowing to get some lovely carves in Laughing

Bothe my little girls aged 7 and 9 got their ESF 3 star badges Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

I would go back again especially as we only payed £700 for all four of us.

the black run under the gondola was well bumpy and had some rocks showing making the route even more difficult as there was little room to manouver as you passed into the guly ( be warned ) but the snow was still good for turns.

Have fun out there, if anyone wants any other info give me a pm but i'm no expert on Flaine
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Curtains, glad you had a great time.

Did you end up in Arche as I think you got a good deal with Inghams like we did. We found it pretty comfortable.

The black run under the gondola - was that the little gondola or the big GP one?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waterskibabe, waterskibabe,
Hi have you been on your girly weekend or going this weekend,I'm heading out sun 2 march and wondered what conditions are gonna be like.You said your hubby goes on weds,is that 5th march??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
- it wasakendadj, I'm an occassional skier in GM - was there for a weekend 2 weeks ago but its been a bit warm since then. However, DON'T WORRY! snowHead We were there last Easter on the last but one week of the season (April 7th) when it was hot - 20 degrees C! after one of the most rubbish seasons ever and they still managed to keep the piste open to 1600 - and current conditions are much better than that.

The best skiing is likely to be over in Flaine in the upper half of the bowl. I'd recommend going for the first lifts at 9 and you can get up there by 9:45 ish. This will help avoid the bottleneck on the blue run "Tourmaline" under the Grand Vans lift - -its the only way in and can get at bit messy at the bottom when crowded and soft. A couple of other things to watch out for - there's no chair up to the top of the bowl from Flaine Foret (the bit you get to when you arrive on Tormaline. The left hand longish drag you'll see will get to a chair that will get you there. (not the RH one - its to an improver nursery slope). Otherwise carry on down into Flaine Forum viua a green (bit flat at first but not too long) or a short Red - watch out for speedsters. IN Forum theres the DMC to the top (standy up cable car - bit smelly!) or a brand new six pack that goes 2/3 of the way up and links nicely to couple of older chairs to the top. Or you can head up via the 4 seaters "eggs" (not eggs anymore actually but enclosed) you can't get to the top directly via the eggs but you can do Mephisto - a fantastic easy red that is one of my favourite runs. But don't get just do Mephisto - you've got to get to the top for one of the very best views of Mont Balnc massif - and you should try Serpentine and Crystal on the left side of the bowl - rollercoaster blues.

Finally, allow lots of time to get back - two reasons - a broken lift would = lots of euros in a taxi plus the run off Grand Van is a bit of a zoo late in the day - if its hot it will be slushy, mogulled and packed with day trippers - I hit it at 4:30 last week and it was not enjoyable - (particularly as we'd skiied it three time at 9;30 am cos it was great.)

I've rambled on about flaine but again, don't worry - there will be plenty of skiable terrain at the top of Samoens and the links to the top halves of Morillion and Les Carroz will be open I'm sure.

Search on Flaine for other comments

Did I mention not to worry? snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kendadj, No, 1600 is fine even the black below this to the cret chair was good when we were there. It was just the last run to the bottom of the old saix lift at 800m that was closed. Likewise Morillon below 1100m and Les Carroz lowest runs. You will be able to get all connections at 1600. It is a bit flat if you use the GM Express -needs a bit of poling/ skating to drop to the Chariande Lift which takes you higher but thats all.
snow report
snowaddict, we ended up in the Doris block, it was ok and we cant complain for the price.

The black was near the DMC ( petit Noire i beleiev without checking the map ) and under the old two man chair taking you to the top.

I also skied across from the white 4 seater gondola with the kids to the flat run off, of the black run, yes it had a few bumps but it was like a green run and now the kids tell everyone they did a black Toofy Grin . There in for a shock when they get to go from the top in a couple of years lol
snow conditions
thanks all for the updates. I see there are a few sprinklings due in the next few days, then it cools off and snows early next week.
I'm back on Tues so will write an update.

I was there last Jan when supposedly there was NO snow. Still found plenty in both Flaine and Les Carroz so I'm sure will have a great long w/e
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies - set my mind at rest now. Can't wait !
snow conditions
Hi All,

I am in the webcafe in Samoens with an update. We skied in total fog yesterday on mushy pistes - not much fun - mainly as it was so foggy. I know the GM very well and took wrong turnings several times Embarassed

Today however was much better. The pistes are OK up in Flaine - high up. Anythin below about 1800 is mushy as the day goes on. That said - I have skied in much worse. Also - there is a lot of terrain still open. Not been over to Morillon or Les Carroz yet - Hi in Flaine is the best place to be at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS - V. Cloudy at the moment - but too warm I suspect for snow.
snow report
Friday today. Awful conditions - rain up to about 2000m where it became wet snow. Very foggy. I am told the snow/rain limit is dropping tonight - but not holding out much hope for our last day tomorrow. Very mushy snow all over the mountain. Oh well - maybe it will be better at easter Sad
snow report
It's snowing in Les Carroz, just checked the webcam. The village has got new snow now too Smile
snow report
AllyK, They were expecting it, and more tomorrow I think. Hopefully should top it up nicely, just need the temps to stay low now until Easter please.
snow report
Brilliant! We're heading to Les Carroz on Sunday and after being there in Jan last year it would be nice to have some snow!
stevo_the_saddler, Let's hope it does hold til Easter, did you ski much on your last day?
snow report
Yes - we skied evey day in rain, fog and a little snow. The last day was pretty grim though. Still, the new Goretex salopettes proved worth the extra expense.
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Do you go to Samoens a lot? Last year was the first time we went to the GM and to be fair it was half closed, but we really enjoyed some of the runs down to Samoens. The Dahu especially; one day we skiied down there and got to Samoens (not the village, the cafe bit) and had a vin chaud at 10 am! We sat there on plastic chairs(??) looking across an uninterrupted view of the mountains, just me and my hubby (we're in a party of Cool and I couldn't think of a more romantic or beautiful setting. Then another day we were supposed to be meeting the gang for lunch as they were last day in ski school and we weren't having lessons and we were meeting in the Igloo bar (is that in Samoens?). Anyway we skiied down and ended up basically in a big pool of water, with only one run out, only for them to phone and say they were over in Les Carroz at the restaurant by the Molliett chair lift 20 mins skiing away.

Love the GM though and can't wait to (hopefully) explore it all. Let's face it, it was only about 30% open last year so anything more than that is a bonus to the 4 beginners who learnt there last year and who were confident enough to come again with us this year!
ski holidays
AllyK, We have a place over in Samoens so go a couple of times each season. The snow record is really quite good compared to other lower resorts. Samoens slopes are mostly north facing and hold the snow well. L'Igloo is in Morillon which is more tree lined, but suffers when the sun gets on in lower down. The links tend to close quite easily in high winds as a couple of the lifts are the older type. The things I love about the GM are; 1 hour transfer from Geneva, varied terrain for all levels, no queues (we did half term this year - longest queue on GME was 5 minutes, although the beginners area the buttons tend to get busy) anyone who can ski blues wont queue. The Pistes are brilliantly prepared when the snow is good - real motorway stuff. I also love Samoens village, being in the valley has the advantage of being easy to get around on foot or by car throughout the season.
Even last year when the alps suffered, Samoens slopes were open and skiable throughout except a few days over Christmas.

Anyway - enough of my sales pitch.... enjoy!
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, how would you fancy our chances for Les Cascades re-opening at some stage soon? We are heading over to Samoens on Saturday and I have fallen in love with the idea of skiing it.
ski holidays
A quick update having returned from Les Carroz on Monday evening. Bad news for me, but great news for everybody else.

Snow while I was there was weak. It was raining below about 1750m on Saturday afternoon, then Sunday was un-seasonably hot. By Monday, abve about 1800m was decent, below that was slush before lunch time. Still a great base at Flaine, but quite a bit of the Massif area was wearing thin.

While I was driving down the mountain back to Geneva Airport on Monday eveing, it began to snow. According to my friends that are still in the village, it snowed continuously until this morning (36 hours) and there is a good covering all the way down to the valley level, with more forecast snow for later in the week. It is also very cold, so what is falling should last.

Lets just hope it remains until I return at the end of March!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick update.

I returned from Morillon on Sunday night. We had a great time although we did drive to Flaine every day to get the fab first cords!
Snow in Flaine was great above about 1800.
When we left on Sunday it was 17degrees in Morillon 1100. However a big turn around this week!

My hubby is there now and has texted to say the snow if great and holding well all day thoughout the whole of Grand Massif.

Just a quick note. Had a beginner in our group this time and the ski lessons for beginers start at the kids ski area under the bridge!!! My friend missed 20 mins of her lesson waiting at the Private Lessons sign near Sairon! - Go figure that one out!!!

However in January myself and hubby had an excellent 2 hour lesson from Alein (even got and extra 30mins free!!!) So highly recommend ESF.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
Friday today. Awful conditions - rain up to about 2000m where it became wet snow. Very foggy. I am told the snow/rain limit is dropping tonight - but not holding out much hope for our last day tomorrow. Very mushy snow all over the mountain. Oh well - maybe it will be better at easter Sad

Hi steve

I noted your comment about the rain in Flaine on Friday - we huddled un the igloo at the Col De Plate lift - great place for lunch!!!

Yes is was foggy but better than being a work??? Puzzled
snow report
MissRibena, Not much chance unless temps drop for a good while and more snow. Cascade is a good run - but only once, you wont go running back again!
ski holidays
Why? I'd do it again.
snow report
tomstickland, I just thought the polling at the top was a bit dull and the ice at the bottom too. Still, I've only done it once so what would I know Cool Maybe I copped a bad day.
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, thanks for that .. I don't feel like I'm missing out so much now Smile
ski holidays
In Samoens at present (in the webcafe in the town square). Very poor visibility Mon/Tues with a good dump of snow overnight Monday (snow was a bit slushy before the fall). Today (Thurs) excellent clear skies although cold up top (-10% at around 2000m) but great snow if a a little icy in places (just the way I like it). More snow would be beneficial but it will do. Staying in Les Fermes de Samoens - excellent apartment with ski bus stop outside
ski holidays
kendadj, Thats where our apartment is snowHead
ski holidays
Just got back for Morillon excellent conditions higher up. Gets slushy in resorts later afternoon.
ask for morning pass then you can get money back if you have had enough. If conditions are good you can ski all day anyway.
snow conditions
Quote:

kendadj, Thats where our apartment is

Stevo, you sent me details of your apartment when I was asking about Samoens generally but I had already booked with another UK owner in the La Bostan building. Ideally located especially with the ski bus outside the entrance !
latest report
kendadj, Glad you enjoyed.... ours has a better view wink
snow conditions
Stevo,

We thought Les Fermes was ideal and being able to order bread & croissants from reception was a bonus (apart from they do don't have them on Saturdays). Indoor pool was a bit small but my 9 year old daughter enjoyed it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy