Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help with forward lean

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have Salomon HV100 Select boots in a 27/27.5 shell.
I can’t get enough forward lean…help! Am I ready to try different boots?
I have asked Salomon what the forward lean angle is. I have also asked what the toe height and heel height above the sole is.
There is a calf adjuster that I have dialled forward.
There is a removable footbed (beyond the removable liner) in the Salomon HV100 Select which measures 21.2 mm at heel and 10.1mm at toe…and feels like a further 30 mm thickness at heel and 20mm at toe in the boot shell …all that tells me that is 51.2 mm at heel and 30.1mm at toe is the boot “delta” a 20.1 mm higher at heel than at toe.
To my thinking, that is encouraging an open ankle and not encouraging a closed ankle.

Ski Instructor/Trainer/Examiners tell me I haven’t got enough forward lean. I am light weight at 60kg and pushing hard into the cuffs at the tongue.
I have fitted 20mm spoilers between the cuff and shell at the calf.
The Examiners tell me that:
1. you must learn how to maintain the flexed ankle position at all times, this will keep your COG over your feet and allow you to make more gradual steering and edging movements with your legs and
2. Keep working on increasing the amount of flexion that occurs at the ankle joint in the second half of the turn and be careful not over-flex the knee joint as this can shift the centre of gravity back behind the feet

Ideas please? What boots will help me?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@justMADEit, technique, not boots ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@justMADEit, STOP step away from the boot and your current thinking which unfortunately is flawed

the first thing is that the numbers that you are suggesting about the boot are not correct, the base board sits down into the bottom of the shell, the forward lean of that boot from memory is 13degrees (same as the other in the S pro range

an open ankle joint is not a bad thing, but it has to be in context, generally when we talk about opening the ankle joint in ski boots it is to allow for a limited range of motion so "closing" the ankle joint , adding spoilers, wedges and whatever else won't help if the ankle joint ROM is at all limited ..... some people just cannot flex their ankles.....

first thing is to get this all properly assessed, there are a limited number of people who will do this properly, even a few of the fitters that people will recommend on here won't assess ROM correctly as it pertains to skiing, but you also need good solid measurements of the foot /ankle (that's length, arch length, width, Heel instep perimeter at very least) ..... at a weight of 60kg i am doubtful that you have a foot/leg that fits and fills the HV shell of that boot (please don't say but i have wide feet, that is not what HV is for, and width is the simplest thing for a boot fitter to adjust).... your boot has to fit your foot and ankle for it to function correctly, it also has to work with your biomechanics, and i suspect your current boot is not working on any of the able fronts

so before diving into new boots based on recoemndations form people on the internet, get yourself fully assessed and start from there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy