Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 07/08

brian
brian
It's been absolutely binning down all evening at Nevis and Glencoe going by the radar. FL probably just under 3000ft, so it should be snowing to the bottom of the runs. Whether any of it is not being blown straight off again is another story Laughing Gusting up to 90mph on the latest Cairngorm summit data.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
looks like the west will pick up more snow than the East going by the BBC TV forecasts.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing in Glasgow today, hills round about are white so should be good for Glencoe and Nevis if the wind doesn't blow it all away.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking promising on the Cairngrom webcams, but access may be the problem either because the roads are closed due to drifting or high winds closes the uplift
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Dave Horsley, current forecast for Saturday is pretty good, esp in the morning.

For anyone thinking of heading up, I would definitely advise heading for Nevis or Glencoe as there will probably be a frustrating wait at the other places to get up the road.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
glencoe it is Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Snowing hard in Aviemore this morning. Very Happy

ski holidays
 brian
brian
Glencoe, Glenshee, Cairngorm and the Lecht all stormbound today. Top to bottom skiing at all 5 centres when the weather calms down a bit ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nevis range has opened some lifts and more are due to open...

http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/nevis/

"As predicted the wind turning into the North means that it is much less windy. Get your skis and boards out and get up here."
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant, loadsa snow and more predicted snowHead

shoogly, can't see much at Nevis on the cams, are they opening in a whiteout? Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
seems so. says on the site that visibility is poor.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
from above website re Nevis:

Lots of new windblown snow lying in drifts and improve runs at all levels. Pisting is required and the lifts are being de-iced, so they will gradually open up. Runs complete to bottom of quad chair & back to top station. Beginner runs filling in well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sat is looking goodish.

But Sun looks like a windy whiteout.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold,

That seems a pretty fair summary. I'm going to try to get to Cairngorm on saturday, and then go tree skiing Wink at the Clash on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not looking too shabby.....

snow conditions
 brian
brian
There's pics on winterhighland of the goose at Nevis and looking up from the plateau at Glencoe and the gullies look absolutely loaded. Very Happy
snow report
Here's a link to those Winterhighland photos:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,80592,page=10

Looks great and more snow to come! snowHead
snow report
Just back from Nevis Range - Lovley powder snow on the Goose Very Happy but when I left only Alpha tow and Goose T bar were open due to the wind rolling eyes
snow report
Judging by the reports on Winterhighland it was a pretty good weekend - the snow looks impressive snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was at Cairngorm on saturday and the snow was amazing Smile
snow conditions
Looks bril Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Woot woot Very Happy

I’ve now skied at all the Scottish ski centres.
Just back from Glencoe and I can see why people like it so much. Over head conditions were perfect today – no wind and bluebird skies. A surprising amount of snow left after lots of heavy rain to all levels in the last few days. Some of the runs were sweet spring snow however some were lumpy icy and not nice to ski - however with the current forecast things can only improve into nice spring snow all over Smile
If I lived closer I would go more often but its 2 hours away Sad

Here are some photos of the mid mountain runs. The photos I took higher up the mountain didn't work Sad

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow was a bit patchy at Glenshee today but we still had fun!!
latest report
Any more photos from Glenshee, more detailed info and pix are bit hard to come by atm!
snow conditions
II - did you ski Spring Run and/or FLypaper? Nice place isn't it, lots of natural undulations Smile
snow report
Winterhighland, Sorry, took my camera and then forgot all about it!
The snow was really patchy, I couldn't get my 5year old on the Butchart's access poma 'cos it was lifting smaller, lighter skiers right off the ground, but they did inform me of that at the ticket office.
The run beside the Butchart's poma was broken and narrow and the sun was hot so was slushy by the end of the day. The run beside Butchart's T-bar was in much better nick with just a few patches of rock and heather showing through. I had my older son and his friend with me so we spent most of the day on here.
I did do the Cairnwell T-bar a couple of times. The top of the GS track was closed so there was a bit of cross country to do round the back at the top of the red but further down it was hard packed with pretty good cover and was the best run.
Didn't get on the Cairnwell chair 'cos the kids were too young but it was running.
All in all far from perfect but still worth doing.
snow report
kitenski, No, the top T bar was off loading 1 tower early as the very top of the mountain was scoured and I didn't know where to go exactly. Spring run was open apparently but flypaper closed. If the snow was as hard as it was on the Main Basin and the Wall I wouldn't have wanted to ski anything much steeper one fall would see you at the bottom of the run. Shocked
snow conditions
ah ok! Spring isn't as steep as flypaper, and I agree it's hard to find, the first time I skiied it I was a touch worried wether I had the correct run or not, the same thing happened when I finally skiied Flypaper!!

Hopefully will get up there this spring....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had high hopes of the West Wall opening on the 'Gorm, but report from CML suggests its would have been a crampon and ice axe job today.

Surfaces are loosening up in areas that are getting the sun and/or heavy skiing traffic. Butchart's Coire probably has the best snow just now of all areas being a South Facing lift served area.
snow conditions
Nevis Range today:
Thought things would be a bit icy early on so went for a walk to the summit. There is no snow on the plateau:

Fortunatly there is still plenty snow on the goose and by the afternoon it was nice and sugary where it had been pisted:

There are 2 runs on off the summit button as well which are OK and a run to the bottom of the chair which is wide at the top but narrows from half way down.

Below is a photo of me "ripping it up" aparently Shocked

snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wow, I've seen more snow on the summit in May previously!!!!
latest report
II, Goose looking very good. Not bad yourself either!! Very Happy
snow report
Variable snow conditions with location and time on CairnGorm today, good spring snow on a gripy base one side of the Cas Tow, pure boiler plate on the other to show how much things can vary in a small area!

A sizeable amount of snow has been shoved around since yesterday and during today, the M1 Poma uptrack has been practically rebuilt covering the dodgy icy sections and the Zig Zags have been restored to fully complete, top two legs are in great condition with spring snow and it's best to use the link from their back to the Cas and the link into the M1 Poma is much improved as well.

Avoid Chicken Gully and the Carpark Run, there were people practising Ice Axe arrests on the Chicken Gully this afternoon. Where has been in the sun and/or extensively pisted has excellent spring snow but there appears to be little rhyme or reason to where each day, so a bit of exploration is required to suss out the looser snow.
snow report
scotland give up ,france is not that far and probably cheaper definitely friendlier,and theirs real snow. wink
latest report
pjheystacky, You may have put a winkie at the end of that comment but that's really nasty and unnecessary. Shocked Shocked Shocked People's lives and livings do actually depend on the tourist industry.
snow conditions
I don't understand why, when Scotland's had some great conditions this winter, I have seen NO adverts for last minute packages to make it easy/attractive to people who might otherwise not even consider it. Such deals may exist, but I have seen none. With unpredictable conditions, surely last minute business is even more important?

Last time I drove to Scotland it was a day's trek due to traffic problems and on our way back there were problems north of Perth that completely shut the road for hours. I live not far from Humberside airport from where there are flights to Aberdeen (for the oilrig industry primarily) and there are fast trains to Glasgow/Edinburgh from South Yorkshire - surely somebody enterprising could put a deal together to meet flights/trains with a minibus that serves a hotel and ferries guests around during their stay? Make it easy and well advertised and I bet there'd be quite a bit of last minute business.
snow conditions
pjheystacky, PlSS OFF
latest report
I`d second that and gladly contribute to a one ticket to France for you
ski holidays
Butterfly, The cost of advertising would probably be too high. To reach enough people who are widely spread in a short period of time would cost a fortune. From Humberside you should deffo consider Aberdeen and a little weekend at the Lecht which would not be too scary for someone at your level. Watch out for ice though - it's quite common in Scotland. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Butterfly,

I think the problem with a last minute trip to Scotland would be the travel, the quickest way is to fly, as you say, to somewhere like Aberdeen but flights are usually cheaper the longer in advance you book them. You only get last minute cheap deals to Europe with a TO ( I think) and they have chartered a plane and so paid for the flight in advance anyway.

pjheystacky, I really, really don't understand why people feel the need to slag off Scottish skiing so much, I have noticed this in other threads on this website as well. If I lived in the south of England I probably wouldn't travel up north to ski in Scotland either, but I don't, I live 2 hours drive from a ski resort, IMO if you live in Scotland and say you like skiing then you're crazy not to ski here. I have formed negative opinions about some places I have never visited but I would never post in thread where people were talking about those places saying how bad they were if I had never been there or last visited on a rainy day 10 years ago rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy