Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated chairlifts

Poster: A snowHead
Back in December 2004 Doppelmayr released the following press release about "the world's first heated chairlifts" (in Lech and Schrocken).

Was this innovation successful - does it still operate in the above resorts? Have any snowHeads discovered unexpected "enhanced ride comfort" (as Doppelmayr describe it) in lift travel elsewhere? Would snowHeads think it a valuable addition to resort facilities?...
Quote:
Doppelmayr: World’s first seat heater for chairlifts

In a joint development with Lech am Arlberg and Schröcken in the Bregenzerwald Doppelmayr achieves another milestone in cutting-edge ropeway technology.

Following approval from the authorities, five detachable chairlifts featuring the world’s first ever chairlift seat heaters went into operation today, Sunday, 26 December 2004, at top Vorarlberg ski resorts Lech am Arlberg and Schröcken in the Bregenzerwald. This trendsetting innovation from Doppelmayr will mean even greater comfort for skiers and snowboarders.

The world’s first seat heater for detachable chairlifts went into operation bang on time for the Christmas holiday period in Lech am Arlberg and Schröcken in the Bregenzerwald, where five lifts now offer skiers the added luxury of a warm seat on the uphill trip.

It took Doppelmayr roughly 18 months to develop this world first in close collaboration with the Lech and Schröcken ski lifts.

The seat heater is integrated into the lift chair, as in the case of automobile seat heating. The chair pads are fitted with a heating mat. As the chair passes through the bottom station the seat heating is activated by means of a power rail and collectors. The heating phase ends when the chair leaves the station and the absorbed energy is sufficient to provide enhanced ride comfort all the way to the top station

Facts & Figures:

Chairlifts with the new seat heating:

Lech am Arlberg:
- Detachable 8-seater chairlift “Steinmähder”
- Detachable 6-seater chairlift “Kriegerhorn”
- Detachable 4-seater chairlift “Schlegelkopf”

Schröcken in the Bregenzerwald:
- Detachable 6-seater chairlift “Saloberjet”
- Detachable 6-seater chairlift “Sonnenjet”
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've tried it in Lech, and I think that they have it on some of the new chairlifts in Zermatt as well. It's actually very pleasant, and works well, although it does tend to fog things up a bit inside the bubble and inside your goggles if it's a humid day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 17-08-05 23:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
but why Puzzled Puzzled have we become a bunch of ski pussies
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Because it gives us 9 lives each
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can think of the odd chairlift where it might be useful, say one running up a gully where the icy wind hits you in the face the whole way up, but generally I don't think they're likely to have a huge takeup on the design
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does it have the same side effect as heated car seats and make you think you've wet yourself?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find it odd that an industry threatened by global warming should choose to waste energy in such an unnecessary manner. I'm sure the amount consumed is relatively small, but it does seem to send out the wrong message.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair, Agreed!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair, Agreed. What next, artificially heated piste with coolers under the snow; Plug in boot warmers on each chair. Now hang on, thats not a bad idea.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But isn't part of the whole experience about braving the elements, wrapping up warm and dealing with whatever the conditions are. Part of the whole experience is freezing yer butts off on a lift, skiing/boarding down the piste to get the blood flowing and then telling everyone that night how cold it was out there today? Who needs heated chair lifts?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does your back bottom not get wet?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next they'll be enclosing chairlifts in plastic and aluminium shielding Puzzled ...... Detachable chairlifts = Cheap Gondolas !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and offereing tissues and saying Good morning etc.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with those advocating the need to brave the elements. I love the sport so much because I am not pampered all the time it is for the most part me and the mountain. I like to think at the end of the day I have "tamed" the mountain. Don't get me wrong I know who's boss between me and the mountain and it certainly isn't me. BUT, I like to mix it up with the elements and get to the bar at 5pm with my mates and discuss just how uncomfortable "that" lift was, but also just how I monstered the run immediatly afterwards Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Heated chairlifts my @rse wink
ski holidays
I'm not keen on the idea. When it's really cold and I'm wearing lots of layers the last thing I want to do it get onto a chairlift which is 15 degrees warmer than the temperature I'm dressed up for. Goggles steam up, ice begins to melt, skiers start to overheat; I find I'm constantly undoing and doing up zips to vent excess heat, then seal myself up against the elements for the next run. What I prefer is a much more balanced temperature for uphill and downhill activities, making sure I don't get too hot or too cold when travelling in either direction. Heated chairs/gondolas? Bad idea!
latest report
So of all those people coming out against them, have any of you actually tried them?
snow conditions
Kramer, nope.
snow conditions
Kramer, nope
ski holidays
Tried one in Lech but didn't really notice it that much and it seems a little pointless. Although, I do think the pull down "bubble" cover-type-things on some chairs are good, especially when it is really blowing with a high wind chill. Would like to see more of those, especially in the colder resorts eg. Winter Park.
snow conditions
Oh dear - all you people who can dive into a restaurant for a hot drink when you're too cold Shocked

I should think every ski teacher in the world would LOVE a heated chairlift. You should all try staying outside for 8 hours, hardly moving, never warming up - coming home at 6 (never mind 5) and having to spend 2 hours in the bath because your core temperature has dropped 1-2 degrees!!!! I don't suppose we'll ever get them here, or that they'll catch on, but I'd love our teaching slope to have one. Very Happy A nice cover too please. Very Happy

I do love my job, really, but last winter was seriously unpleasant and quite dangerous for us - I've now lost most of the feeling in another 2 toes, and yes I do wear about 8 layers of clothes ...........
snow report
Yeah a couple of the Lech lifts are heated and when it's cold they're great. One of them's an eight seater. Duh, just read the original post fully.
latest report
Kramer, no - I haven't. My objection isn't based on their effectiveness.

Having said that, I appreciate easiski's problem. I have no objection to covers which can be very effective.
latest report
Yeah a couple of the Lech lifts are heated and when it's cold they're great. One of them's an eight seater. Duh, just read the original post fully.
snow report
If seats are being sat on regularly, then surely they're not going to get too cold anyway are they - especially if the lifts have covers to keep the elements away? I find it difficult to see the point in heated seats - it seems covers do the same job better ie. keep you out of the cold on the lift when the weather is nasty. I would also only use a cover if the weather was particularly bad as it's quite pleasent being out in the open.
latest report
Good for oldies & their piles, but thats about it
snow report
I have to say, I remember those Lech seats being very soft and comfortable - an obvious bonus to those for whom sitting can be 'uncomfortable'.
snow conditions
An update on the status of the heated lifts.
Doppelmayr has celebrated the buliding of the 50th lift with heated seats worldwide.
They claim the market of these lifts is booming.
If you became a real fan of the heated seats, take your next trip to Vorarlberg. Very Happy
This Austrian region operates 10 out of these 50 lifts.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Is this drag an old thread out of the snowHead vault day or what ? Puzzled
snow report
brian, yes it is an old thread. I meant to answer the original question
Quote:
Was this innovation successful?

with the help of the latest sales results from Doppelmayr.
snow report
some of the lifts in Saalbach are heated and they were great! Toofy Grin
latest report
Heated chairlifts only make a difference if you have a rolldown plastic cover and you can cocoon yourself inside the bubble. Otherwise, they are a wasteful gimmick in the open air.

Next, they should design those rolldown covers to slide all the way over the feet. They keep off the wind and rain.
snow report
Heated lifts are for Wimps Laughing
snow report
As someone above suggested, I wonder if you would feel the benefit through insulated clothing which is designed to reduce the passage of heat unless it was a really long ride. Also, how well does most ski clothing shed snow? Beginners fall over, more expert skiers shoosh through powder and loose snow - there must be the potential for ski clothing to accumulate snow. Under normal conditions this stays as dry snow on the outside of the clothing, but if you sat down on a heated ski lift there must be potential for the accumulated snow to melt - would this be desirable?
latest report
Megamum, when you sit on a heated seat, you can feel the heat. People not expecting it often get a shock!!
snow report
What's the carbon footprint for this? David Goldsmith...
snow conditions
The ski instructors in Lech love the heated chairs.
snow conditions
Megamum, You do notice it, yes.

The 8 seater in Kaltenbach this year was a heated chairlift, and it was nice, although a bit of a shock the first time we used it snowHead
snow report
I can't help thinking that heated chairlifts should feature in this list http://www.natives.co.uk/features/pylon.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy