Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown, NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My brother's thinking of going MTBing/snowboarding for a season in Queenstown. Are there any decent resorts around there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are several resorts with easy travel of Queenstown. NZ skiing is often compared to Scottish skiing (not that I've skied in Scotland), so resorts are smaller than you would usually visit in Europe....but you can get some really good skiing in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharkymark wrote:
My brother's thinking of going MTBing/snowboarding for a season in Queenstown. Are there any decent resorts around there?

The ski areas of The Remarkables, Coronet Peak (check out: http://www.nzski.com/mountain.jsp?site=theremarkables) and Cardrona (http://www.cardrona.com/) surround Queenstown and are between 20 mins to 45 mins bus ride away. There is no accommodation on the ski areas themselves so Queenstown, for all intents and purposes is the resort. The apres ski is great (mostly Aussies, Kiwis and Japanese), there are a huge number of restaurants and bars and the town is fairly compact so you don't need a car to get around... but if your bro's got a mountain bike....

The ski areas can be summed up as follows:

1/ Coronet Peak - bare, can get very icy and windy, loads of intermediate and advanced terrain. The lift system could do with a bit of updating.

2/ The Remarkables - Feels a lot more protected than Coronet Peak and generally has the better snow and conditions... the drive up is a bit hair raising. When I was there they had built a massive terrain park, whilst there was no half-pipes there were some enormous kickers. Has great off-piste.

3/ Cardrona - I personally haven't been (as it is a little further afield from Queenstown) - so check out http://www.0800snow.co.nz/new_zealand_ski_fields/cardrona_review.asp for a pretty handy review.

I hope this helps. He might also want to consider Wanaka.

cheers,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
from nz and snowboarded it all.......south of christchurch heading to queenstown on the main road you will access most of the ski areas.............its well worth it and it does not compare to scotland in any way shape or form....go for it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Sunday a feww weeks ago had a NZ snow park featured - looked good
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Queenstown a couple of years ago for the start of the season - if you need some specific advice PM me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Queenstown = Dump

My last visits was 17 & 5 years ago and it was trashy then but even worse on last visit.

How an envioromenataly minded nation like NZ let Queentown develop into the tacky tourist dump it is now is beyond me.

As for the Skiing . Not much to speak of unless you rent a chopper then its great. Best resort skiing to be found is at Treble Cone in Wanaka.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys for the useful info snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevec, What is the snow normally like early on in the season, like late June early July? Would it normally have snowed much then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mandles1, Not great, or it wasn't when i was there anyway. There was skiing to be had, but it was all high up, and not huge amojnts of snow.

That could just have been a bad season though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark, Would have thought he'd have had enough of bleak backwater islands totally cut off from reality
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Sharkymark, Would have thought he'd have had enough of bleak backwater islands totally cut off from reality

Easy tiger, he's going to NZ, not the UK. Blush
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1, the Sharkymarkbreed, originates from The Isle of Wight. Need I explain further wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what are the buses like between Queenstown and resort?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sharkymark, nothing to do with the skiing but there are a couple of good bars in Queenstown, from when we went a few years back
Round the corner from the Minus 5 bar is The Loaded Hog - Queenstown Steamer Wharf, which is a nice bar for a quick drink or two. It also has a huge open fire, which was great when we were there as the weather wasn't that warm and we had just come from Minus 5.

There is a pizza places in Queenstown (Winnies Gourmet Pizza Bar, Upstairs, 7 The Mall), with a unique outdoor feel. This being due to a roof that is opened on huge hinges when the weather permits and equally huge gas burners to keep it warm.
snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy