Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Yup that is correct, it is a percentage of the bill.

Which is why, when I recently went into a restaurant with a group of tight fisted Brits and Aussies - I was pulled aside by the waiter, and asked to explain to that group (who had been in before and left zero tip) how the system works. You take the menu price of your dish, and add 30% to it, 15% for GST and PST, and 15% for the tip. He was actually out of pocket from that table on that night, though through averages throughout the night he didn't suffer too much.

Quote:
Restaurants report a percentage (around 12%) of the gross sales for food and beverage to the IRS for their staff. This means that if you have a $200 food bill and $200 wine bill, the restaurant will report 12% of $400 or $48 as income to the server. In other words, the server has to pay tax on it whether you tip it or not. If the restaurants do not report it accurately, the restaurant and the wait staff get audited by the IRS.

Re the lift ticket, I'm very glad you didn't have to use it, but perhaps the most important service are the Ski Patrollers (many of whom are vollies) - of highly qualified Doctors, Paramedics etc. who all run a very efficient and effective service.

And yes, the lifties, they do a great thankless job, I always make sure I say Hi and a few words to them to break up the monotony.

The guides do a fantastic job when it's busy, especially when you get European skiers here who don't get the concept of "no barging/fighting" and alternating in the lift line! Laughing

Glad you had a good experience.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 24-03-07 13:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeightIt works well out there. A system of paying what it says on the bill is FAR too complicated wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
A Kiwi rep for Neilsons....

Scarpa was your kiwi rep named Peter by any chance?

Damn - might have been - smallish guy with dark hair. Ring any bells? I had a good chat with him about some of the NZ ski areas. He was based at Les Arcs this year.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 24-03-07 18:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, I'm apalled that a waiter would have to pay other staff members regardless of whether he/she was tipped or not! that's awful! Restaurant owners over the pond (both sides of the border) must become very rich very easily, as they seem to get their staff to pay everything! Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what I find incredible about this tipping system is that you would never guess in a thousand years about these rules/customs, which is why it is good to discuss it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
veeeight, I'm apalled that a waiter would have to pay other staff members regardless of whether he/she was tipped or not!

And that the tax system colludes in it! Shocked

rayscoops wrote:
what I find incredible about this tipping system is that you would never guess in a thousand years about these rules/customs

FTS wrote:
A system of paying what it says on the bill is FAR too complicated

Precisely. It doesn't seem right to me that the system is so obscure unless you've grown up with it. If a business is expecting its customers to stump up money it should be clear from the outset (i.e. on the menu or price tag) how much the customer is ultimately expected to pay. It's a material factor in the contract and in my mind almost amounts to misrepresentation
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well, you know, there are many more injustices out there in the world, that we, as consumers, know little about.

you could stop and think, but if you get too deep, you'd never buy.....

1. The sweatshop conditions under which many of your garments are made
2. Food produce, pickers, working conditions, pay etc.
3. Toys, goods, produced abroad in developing countries under appaulling conditions

and nearer to home, how supermarkets are pricing farmers out of business and driving them to suicide.

all of which you would never guess in a thousand years, or maybe, we do have an inkling, but choose not to think about it too much as it would impact on our convenience and costs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, that's a bit of a red herring because you can choose to buy fair trade goods, use a farmer's market, support your own local independent businesses.... The prices are higher but at least they're transparent. But with a system where the tax authorities actually tax staff on money they may not have received because an outsider doesn't know it's mandatory to give a "gratuity" and the price on which you make the decision to buy is not the price you pay... ? Sorry, it stinks IMO - and it little better than the sweatshops you cite. I wonder what would happen, though, to say a restaurant that actually paid its staff properly - would it be overrun with demand for jobs?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re obscure systems, customs, culture etc.

Not having a go at anyone, but me personally, wherever I go in the world, I research the local systems, cultures and customs.

So finding out about tipping in the USA is no different than not blowing your nose in a hanky in Japan, eating with your left hand in Malaysia, accepting money with your right hand/both hands in the Gulf States, sitting on the correct side of the Ger in Mongolia, pouring Soy Sauce onto rice in Japan etc.etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh and for whoever mentioned tipping their surgeon, make sure you do so *before* the surgery in Hungary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Run that by me again... apart from the fact that you might want to show appreciation which is not compulsory, I assume. Why do we tip in north America?

It sounds like a cheap labour racket to me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Much like why UK ski slopes charge £45 to £150 (MK Xscape) for a 1 hour private lesson, of which the instructor might only see £5.75.

sidethought: £150 an hour at MK Xscape for a private, or £300 a (6 hour) day plus tip at WhistlerBlackcomb? Hmmm. I wonder which is the better value.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, Canadian $420 per 3 hours for snowboard lessons at Whistler a month or so ago, plus tip of course. In total $1260 plus $200 tip equated to £660 for 9 hours or £440 for six hours (day?) equivalent ! Not cheap either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tipping is not really so obscure a custom (you would guess that most counties have some standard customs that need to be looked in to so that you do not cause offence etc. but we actually know about tipping and how it works) that you would delve too deep and research it further; it happens everywhere and most people appreciate that tips are welcome, but as I have been trying to point out, in North America it is called 'tipping' but in reality it is actually a payment becasue it is not really an option (based on the info in this thread) not to tip. Therein lies the problem, it is a discretionary payment disguised as a tip. But this is the system and we have to respect and accept it.
snow report
 brian
brian
ssh wrote:
Noting that #3 doesn't hurt the "system" at all, but will be an impact to the person who provided you the service.

Actually that's not true. If nobody tipped to the point where employees couldn't make ends meet and gave up working, the employers would be forced to raise wages to attract staff. That's how markets work.

I'm happy enough to go with a "when in Rome" approach, but I think if a business is set up to get an appreciable part of its turnover from tourism and it loses out because tourists don't understand its "system", then it only has itself to blame.
ski holidays
I'm never embarassed to accept a tip - I just say Thank-you! In this part of the US ski industry ski instructors get paid much closer to the figures that ssh mentioned, rather than those Rusty Guy talked about! I don't expect tips per se, but if you have a good lesson it is a good way of showing your appreciation - $10 per group lesson, and at least $10 per hour for a private lesson is nice. Little Angel

I do understand that ski lessons are expensive and I do not expect you to tip but there are some occasions that do indicate that a tip will brighten my day:
If your child is having the instruction then please expect to tip, especially if said child has a heavy cold - would you like to spend 2 hours cleaning up someone elses snotty nosed kid?
If your children are badly behaved during the lesson do not expect me to be available on my day off to teach a private request............unless you tip really well!
If the weather is absolutely atrocious and most of the mountain is closed but I'm still smiling..........!

If you mention that you have no cash and that you are going to leave something in an envelope in the ski school office please remember to do so - you don't want to know what I'll think of you if you don't! Shocked snowHead

When I first started skiing I didn't realsie how little the instructors I had got paid, so my first season I didn't tip, but at the end of the season I did write to the ski school director to tell him how good the lessons were, and I then enclosed tips for the two instructors who had taught me the most. The next season I then tipped most of my instructors. I did have one tip refused though - the instructor asked me out for dinner instead! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Must say I thought that in the UK HM Customs & Revenue assume that waiter is tipped, and tax accordingly. Thus, effectively, not tipping is applying a financial penalty on the waiter for poor service. Perhaps someone who has been a waiter - or is an accountant - can confirm or otherwise.
snow conditions
achilles, most restaurants add a service charge to the bill and the restaurant is legally bound to distribute it, maybe this is why you believe tips are taxable as it is in fact a regulated/declared payment and therefore it seems reasonable for it to be taxed accordingly. I am sure that extra money left as a tip never makes its way in to any tax declaration Very Happy

BTW you can ask for the service charge to be removed from the bill if you want to !
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
the problem I must have is for tipping for high end luxury goods or services in developed countries. The almost compulsory system of tipping seems as a way for employers not to pay their staff a fair days pay for a far days work. If I am paying $100 an hour for a ski lesson or $1000 dollars for a boat trip why tip? where does it all end? paying for a luxury service should mean just that = the service should consistently good and the need to tip good service would not be required.

Actually, AFAIK, if you charter a crewed yacht, then a tip of 10% of the charter price is expected for the crew. This could be in the region of £50000 per week at the really high end. Shocked
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
achilles,..............I am sure that extra money left as a tip never makes its way in to any tax declaration Very Happy ........

No, and I think HM Customs and Revenue think so too, and allow for it in there tax assessment - but I could well be wrong.
ski holidays
Kramer, think i will stick to rubber dingies in that case Sad
ski holidays
veeeight, I tip for good service. Usually about 12.5% in this country. I would tend to tip the same in Canada, which would leave the waitress out of pocket. I was aware that tipping was considered compulsory, but not to that extent.

I think that for those complaining about the business practices of restaurants in North America, the prices for eating over there are significantly cheaper than they are over here, and this probably accounts for at least some of the difference.
latest report
Kramer, I actually found Whistler quite pricey compared to my little bit of UK, but not necessarily so compared to Europe alps. This skiing malarkey is an addictive but expensive leisure activity and you simply have to pay the ferry man to use the ferry Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Kramer, I actually found Whistler quite pricey compared to my little bit of UK, but not necessarily so compared to Europe alps. This skiing malarkey is an addictive but expensive leisure activity and you simply have to pay the ferry man to use the ferry Very Happy

yeah but don't pay him tell he gets you to the other side.

Sorry I couldn't resist that. I'll shut up now.
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:

from: http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php ..........

Quote:
But if you are going to go to a more expensive salon, then it is assumed that you can afford $120 plus tip

God grief! How much was the haircut? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
achilles, $120 rolling eyes
snow conditions
Last time out in the States I generally let the Americans tell me how much the bill was and they would have included the tip. But if someone says I must tip the guys because they only earn 5 bucks an hr, I want to know why the business can't sustain a decent wage.
Might it be that the employer knows the job has a lot of takers - plausible in a ski resort - and therefore can let the job go to the cheapest employee and the employee knows he/she can/should make up a poor salary in tips.
snow conditions
Maybe it's just a different culture.

Most (if not all) service industry jobs in the US are relatively low pay. Most people who take those jobs also know that if they do a good job they will get a tip. Most also know that if the customer is a Brit, they are less likely to get a tip, because the British culture is to assume that we know better, and that the foreign culture is wrong, and why should they be tipped... Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The general Australian model where a decent wage is usually paid and tipping is not required as a matter of course seems the best system. I do not know if this applies to Australian ski instructors but it seemed to be the way of things elsewhere.

The US system seems to fall down insofar as high cost to the consumer is combined with a low wage. That suggests the owner is taking too much profit in my view.

I take a dim view of the excessively capitalist outlook in America where you screw employees as much as you can when you can. If that fails you export their jobs or bring in cheap immigrant labour to do their work.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
achilles, $120 rolling eyes

Ha! I read that as a tip of $120 plus. I can to skim reading Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Latchigo, which would explain Aussie ski instructors in the US Laughing

I take a dim view of the excessive capitalist outlook too. BUT... the "high consumer cost" you refer to is not reflected in food and drink prices.
Show me a popular bar in a French ski resort where you can get a pint of beer for under £3, and then tell me where the high consumer cost is.
snow report
achilles wrote:

...... I can to skim reading Madeye-Smiley

and skim writing as well Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I was referring to tuition costs which I found to be more than the European equivalent.

I take the point about French beer prices though £3 is probably London prices now.

UK is not blameless. I eat occasionally in a caff called Muratori up by Mount Pleasant. The food is good though it is not the quickest service in the world. Most of the customers are black cab drivers. They are the first people in the world to complain about poor tips - but we have never seen a single one of them leave a tip in that place. It is so bad that there is not even a box or a saucer by the till. I would always look to tip in a caff unless the service was really bad but it looks as if cabbies do not practice what they preach.
snow report
Re the differences in Australia vs. USA.....

I have yet to experience the quality of customer service in Australia/NZ that comes anywhere *near* the service in the USA/Canada.....
snow conditions
Seems to me that if the culture is that waiters have to make a good part of their income from their tips, that may be good for the customer. The waiter has a positive incentive to provide good service; he will suffer if he does not - just like a small business man. Customers benefit - they have the better service, and they have the sanction of not tipping if the service is bad. Looks like a good deal for us punters to me - and in return we should tip unless service is bad.
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
Re the differences in Australia vs. USA.....

I have yet to experience the quality of customer service in Australia/NZ that comes anywhere *near* the service in the USA/Canada.....

What "service" are you talking about?
snow conditions
Quote:

in return we should tip unless service is bad.

I disagree. We should tip if the service is good. Staff are paid to do a job, albeit not paid a lot, but paid non the less. Someone who did there job well should be given something extra, someone who just did there job should not.

And this comes from someone who has worked in and ran some very nice bars and restaurants in the past.
snow report
And when does that "service" become insincere just to get the tips? If someone goes beyond the call of duty because they feel it's the right and professional thing to do and happens to be more than the customer expected, then it deserves a tip. But when it becomes an "act" (if e.g. the smirking waitresses on TV shows are anything at all to go by - which of course may not be the case) for the purpose of extracting a tip then it's no longer service. It seems to me a tip is deserved precisely because it's not expected.
latest report
stevec, I guess it depends what you compare the service to, to define "good" and "bad".

Restaurants in the UK where I have had "good" service: Le Pont de la Tour, the Kings Head, Withies Inn.
Restaurants in the UK where the service has been OK, but nothing special: too many to list.

Restaurants in North America where I've had service below the quality of the first 3 I listed: Well, I was in a McDonalds once.
snow conditions
It is more irksome in the US to find the barmaid often expects a tip if you buy a few drinks.

And why do some jobs attract tips but not others ? The McDonald's employee is probably on less money than a waitress but they do not get a tip with every order they serve.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy