Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Snow report Winter 2006/7

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, No - genuinely some interesting bods! We have made up a table of 6 who seem to be last for dinner (8.30) and last staggerng out (11ish) - but have had some snowhead level debates on Iraq, EU Health and Safety Regs, Commercial property, doing Classics for a degreee Puzzled motorbikes, lands end to john o groats on a bike - all sorts! Good lot wink snowHead Very Happy

I was kissed on hand by ex editor of Karrang or something at New Year - honest guv! wink Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry wrote:
stewart woodward, are you a permenant resident in Tignes?

8 months ish in Tignes(skiing), 4 months in Yorkshire(golf & a bit of work) Great mix Laughing

I appreciate you are instructing but if you find the time and possibly post a few photographs im sure they are many people here would love to see how the place is looking now its had some fresh snow.

Will try and post some pictures over the weekend. Not sure if i am capable but i am sur my 'Mentor' Cathy will be along to offer her invaluable advice. Embarassed

Still snowing last night when i arrived home after a very boozy birthday party (happy birthday Cath & Wendy. Why do ladies always start counting backwards after a certain age?).

Clear skies this morning. Looks good for a great final day for all my clients Laughing

Sorry Cathy could not figure out how to do seperate 'quotes' Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiBod wrote:
Staying at Aguille Percee with Mark Warner - v good food and some interesitng and good company.

Would recommend Clin D'Oeuil for meal out - really trully gorgeous... v French - lovely! And free Genepy...

Aguille Percee was where we stayed on our Snoworks course - is the food served hotter now?? Toofy Grin But it is good there.

And we went to the Clin d'Oeuil for our meal out! I was really pleased there were some good French speakers in our group Embarassed But really superb food and the Genepy wasn't only free but a really nice one as well Very Happy

Enjoy the rest of your time there Skibod! snowHead

stewart - we can get the pictures up no probs! Toofy Grin Perhaps a nice moderator can amend your quote above to show what you have said in the middle of Renry's quote. Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, Glad you've got the snow at last, and it's tempted Mrs W out onto the slopes! Wish I was back there myself Sad Ho Hum snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
SkiBod, Howdy skibabe Very Happy

Quote:

some interestng and good company
Always my experience with Mark Warner. For interesting I presume read - right tossers Very Happy

Some are known to call them Mark W***er wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of snow, great powder, but AVALANCHES today.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After studing the piste map of the killy area I noticed the Tunnel Run @ lift 3000. What is that like??????
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry,
Black and rarely open or it didn't used to be.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, is it ever open? I've been to Tignes quite a few times and never seen it open - equally I think I've only ever seen the 3000 drah only open once - what else does it give access to other than then bumps? More off piste I guess?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So which runs do you guys recomend as places to really look out for?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry wrote:
After studing the piste map of the killy area I noticed the Tunnel Run @ lift 3000. What is that like??????

Very rarely open, if open not worth the effort. snowHead

[quote="renry"]
So which runs do you guys recomend as places to really look out for?

Depends on what you like Blush Steep? Laughing , Bumps? Laughing , Cruisy? Blush etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like Cruisy and I like steep and deep. if it's not deep I don;t like steep.

When we were in Val d'Isere one of the most fun times I had was an afternoon letting rip down Grand Pré. Yes it's a green but it was nice and wide and I could just let the skis go, heel over onto an egde and cruise
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unfourtunatly the avalanche warnings were not adhered to and yesterday we had a massive slip in the chardadonnet area as well as other slips around the resort. See www.pistehors.com for full details.
The pister in hospital is a local, & lives with a brit girl, so he is known throught the resort.

It is pretty sickening to watch people,who appear to have little experience & no kit, walk up ridges to ski in known avalanche areas when the risk is 4/5.

The snow/skiing otherwise was exceptional. As good as it gets but who's bothered!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The no kit bit is the one thing that I just cant undersatnd stewart woodward, I can understand to a certain extent people going to those areas when they are rated as higher risk to find fresh tracks (i personaly wouldnt even if I where a capable skier) but to go without the essential kit is madness Puzzled

Just hope whoever it is recovers enough to be able to make the sensible choice next time.

With reguards to the runs I enjoy I also love those long cruisy runs where you can let the skis flow. I enjoy steep but although bumps dont bother me I do tend to just get down them rather then enjoy them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt, know what you mean about Grand Pre it's just a "nice" run to have a blast on and enjoy, one of the vaguries of VdI gradings elsewhere I'm sure it'd be blue!
snow conditions
nbt, stevew, ditto to you both. Val D is (justifiably) notorious for under grading their runs. In the case of Grand Pre (IMHO) this 'undervalues' the run, in the case of the lower third of 'verte' (which is green!!!) which co-exists (i.e. is the same piste as) the OK world cup downhill course, this is really a red, and when it's iced up could be a low black. Three times now we've been down it and seen obvious week one snow ploughers struggling to stay upright on what they thought would be an 'easy way down'. In my view it is one of the most misleading and irresponsible bits of under grading in the alps Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Mrs Monkfish (who burst into tears on it 2 days ago) is very pleased to hear you say that Axs
snow report
AxsMan, Blue is supposed to be "middling" - isn't it the fault of all the resorts that overgrade their runs, thereby giving folks a false impression of their own abilities? I always worry about "1 week incourcheval, can ski reds! 'cos I know they're going to have trouble on some of our blues! Nothing I can do about it though. Confused
latest report
easiski, Accepted but verte is a GREEN! To me (and I strongly suspect, most beginners) this means 'beginner friendly' The last third of verte is a fairly steep, often icy, and in the afternoon always busy RED Shocked In contrast The black Trolles down to Tignes (on the other side of the same hill) is barely any steeper. I understand that there will be some variation and no-one should assume a 'blue' on one hill is as easy as a blue on another, but verte is so far under graded it's past a joke Evil or Very Mad

I do agree with you that some resorts go too far the other way and give beginners a false sense of security, but I genuinely believe the grading of verte is a real danger to many of those who find themselves faced with it.

Monkfish, Tell her, if she 'survived' (and I certainly hope she did Shocked ) that she did extremely well to get down it, a lot better than many folks I saw in difficulties on it over Christmas and that she will never face another 'green' like it. Very Happy
ski holidays
AxsMan,
Quote:

The last third of verte is a fairly steep, often icy, and in the afternoon always busy RED In contrast The black Trolles down to Tignes (on the other side of the same hill) is barely any steeper.

Have to say I don't really agree with this unless they have been bulldozing the hill a bit since I was there. The Verte is probably realistically blue gradient but gets unpleasant late afternoon because of the articial base geing constantly scraped to ice and the sheer number of people skiing down that bit of the mountain.
The Trolles run is of genuine black gradient though I seem to remember they have created a blue path to bypass the steeper bits.
snow report
T Bar, yes you are right, the path at the end of Trolles is more a blue gradient, but verte runs alongside (is really the same piste as ) the OK which is graded Red. As you say it is the icy conditions and the fact that it's full of people who are not experienced enough to deal with it that makes it worse. Grading it as a red, or even a blue would at least give 'fair warning' and actually result in it becoming easier as it would have fewer folks sliding down it on their backsides! Very Happy
ski holidays
AxsMan,
I certainly agree with you that the grading should be higher. Isn't the steep bit of the OK run a bit higher up though?
latest report
T Bar, The steepest bit is before it merges with Verte as you say, but the bit where it, verte and a blue whose name I've forgotten, coexist, is still pretty steep by beginner standards. I remember it well because I (foolishly) took Mrs Axs down it a couple of years ago on our first visit to Val and she had a 'moment' similar to Mrs Monkfish above. Fortunately she recovered and we both skied it this year, knowing what to expect. I do think it's a real confidence knock for beginners though and should be re-graded to at least a blue, or realistically the same colour as the OK (red). snowHead

easiski, We both skied some of your blues as beginners a couple of years ago, and TBH did not find them too bad. I haven't been to courcheval so can't compare, but I didn't think the grading at Les2A was anything like as 'unrealistic' as it is at Val D. Very Happy

(Of course I do accept that conditions make a world of difference, a few more inches of soft stuff take the edge of anything snowHead )
snow report
All those runs down to La Daille should be red.

Skied with a timid 3rd weeker a couple of years ago and we did the blue before going back up and having lunch at the Triffolet (half way down).

I did a quick run by myself and then took him down the easier run I'd found - nice and wide with good snow.

He said that was a lot nicer - it was the black.

That Tunnel run is called the Piste 3000 I think. There's a tunnel that you could ski through and then down to the Fornet area.
I've never done any itineraries but that Piste 3000 is the toughest marked run in the whole area, IMHO. Steeper and bigger moguls than both
Sache and Foret.
ski holidays
SATURDAY - The best day of the week to ski, No crowds, No idiots on their last run before going home & today cloudless skies and great snow Laughing Laughing

Saturdays are normally about a late start,skiing with friends & their kids,Aspen burger/milk shake,soccer am and the afternoon spent on the sofa Blush

Today was slightly different as still had some clients making the best of their holidays and we were rewarded with great skiing. All the runs we did we in a good condition and the glacier in particular was perfect. The moguls on Laisse were big but soft and so provided lots of entertainment,thrills & spills.We finished at 4.35 with lots of happy faces but very tired legs.
Razz Razz

If you can arrange your hols so you ski on a saturday PLEASE DO Blush
ski holidays
Hi topjack, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Hi topjack, the Tunnel piste and Piste 3000 go down different sides of the mountain. Piste 3000 and the 3000 lift are on the Solaise side. I do not recall seeing the 3000 lift running in December and only occasionally in January. Near the top of the 3000 lift there is a steel door into the mountain, last time I was there it had a big padlock. I believe it is the access to the Tunnel piste that goes down to the Fornet sector. I have never seen the door unlocked, although I have occasionally seen people squeezing through a gap under the closed door.

Piste 3000 has some wonderful moguls, for those who like that sort of thing. It also provides an access to some great off piste.
snow report
Sorry, that's what I meant when i said "could ski through". Should have said "used to be able to ski thorough".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
is this the tunnel you mean .. friend of mine april this year ..
snow report
Look like what you have to do to get down the gully run to La Daille.

In one place you have to ski straight into the other side of the gully then take off your skis and crawl through a natural tunnel.

Stood ther for ages trying to work out how to do it before a small group came through and showed me how.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
SATURDAY - The best day of the week to ski, No crowds, No idiots on their last run before going home & today cloudless skies and great snow Laughing Laughing

Saturdays are normally about a late start,skiing with friends & their kids,Aspen burger/milk shake,soccer am and the afternoon spent on the sofa Blush

With TV in mind, do any of the bars in Claret screen premiership football. Sunday is our first day so we will be tired by kick off time im sure. Cool
snow report
Renry wrote:

With TV in mind, do any of the bars in Claret screen premiership football. Sunday is our first day so we will be tired by kick off time im sure. Cool

'The Fish Tank' in Val Claret shows English/Spanish/Italian etc footie plus other sports. Blush

Also make use of your discount in the Alpaka, so come down and watch some footie in Le Lac.

When does the rugby 6 nations start?
ski holidays
May well do, will check the listings for week commencing 3rd Feb, I will also check on the rugby
ski holidays
www.6nations.co.uk

First Games.

Italy vs France
Flaminio Stadium -- Rome, Italy
Sat 3rd February 2007 14:30

England vs Scotland -
Twickenham -- London, England
Sat 3rd February 2007 16:00
ski holidays
Also looking at the panoramic cam of Val Claret over at www.tignes.net what are they setting up if you move the cam to the left?
ski holidays
Lots of scaffolding been set up for Tignes Airwaves TV cameras.

Had a quick blast around the resort this morning with a mate,just returned, before settling down for the footie
latest report
topjack, with a little inside info, its possible to hop down the little step before then crouch and slide all the way through the tunnel!
ski holidays
sproggski wrote:
then crouch and slide all the way through the tunnel!
Saw someone do that but looked like an easy way to catch an edge and wrench a knee. Took the safe option.
snow report
Renry wrote:

Only managed to do it as an off-piste run last season.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:

Today was slightly different as still had some clients making the best of their holidays and we were rewarded with great skiing. All the runs we did we in a good condition and the glacier in particular was perfect. The moguls on Laisse were big but soft and so provided lots of entertainment,thrills & spills.We finished at 4.35 with lots of happy faces but very tired legs.
Razz Razz

If you can arrange your hols so you ski on a saturday PLEASE DO Blush

Stewart,
You ought to ask Mark Warner for a back-hander! Laughing The one day we get the slopes to ourselves! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy