Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic Ski Academy

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, I take a ski hol once a year, and its a fairly large family thing, I know the majority would be interested in this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mick newby, bring 'em all! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, if you get one going in Europe I will.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For the day 1 report from the ESA, click here!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for those Steve, looking forward to the reports. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant ssh, keep them coming!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That thread has all of them. Wow! What a trip. More later...

Wish you all would have come. Next year at Snowbird? snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Foxup got lucky? or was it another 'ladyboy' incident . . . you know his beer gogles are particularly opaque snowHead

come on Fox it's bean spilling time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, it depends on what your definition of "lucky" is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK question 1) animal or vegetable?

Welcome home by the way, have a good time? . . . obviously Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, yes. I had a good time.
but...
What goes on in the tub stays in the tub.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, yeah . . . like your farts don't float!

The proper saying is 'What goes on in the tub get's caught in the filter . . . and the maintenance man knows all! You're gonna be sooo busted. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Let's try this again... Here is a taste of some of the skiing we did at Big Sky. This slope is 35-40 degrees at the top, becoming more gentle near the bottom.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the risk of upsetting all you enthusiasts of Epic Ski, could someone tell me why it is so much better than some of our own British ski 'clinics'? Eg Phil Smith's Snoworks who I think can't be bettered, and Warren Smith - well known, but I haven't tried him.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jane, I'm not sure I'd claim it's "better", but certainly "different" and "valuable." EpicSki is unique for a number of reasons: first, it's an offshoot of an Internet community (EpicSki.com) of ski enthusiasts. As a result, the overall environment (starting with breakfast and ending just before sleep) is a focus on skiing and the personal improvement thereof. It's submersion in skiing and learning. Secondly, the instructors are among the best available anywhere, including PSIA Examiners, well-known freeskiers, and other exceptional coaches. Thirdly, the experience includes gear assessment (especially in terms of boot balancing, the most important component of equipment "fit" that there is). As a result, you get the opportunity to improve your skiing by a level or two in four short days, ski till you think your legs are going to fall off, and do it with a group of equally devoted skiers.

I plan to be back every year, and hopefully to take as many friends and relatives as I can!
latest report
ssh, It sounds much like the Phil Smith course I did then, except for the equiment assessment. I agree, that the immersion in skiing experience is quite different to the usual holiday ski + lessons option. I'll certainly keep the ESA in mind though it still seems a long way to go.
latest report
Jane, it's a long way if you wouldn't think of the US for any other reason. But, speak to Fox, it seems he skis here a number of times each season...! snowHead
snow conditions
ssh, yeah, ok, well I haven't booked my next trip - still waiting for a bit of help from travel agents.

Jane, once you get used to the flight time, it's no big deal. 8 hours in a plane can pass very quickly - watch a movie, have a couple of meals, a few drinks, and maybe a 2 hour snooze.
One thing is that good US instructors have a different teaching style to good Euro ones, although I've never done any Warren Smith etc courses, but just comparing a good BASI instructor (UK), and a good PSIA (US) one, and I found the US ones had something, which for me, made learning, progressing, and having fun a lot easier, while still pushing me further than I expected.
The EpicSki Academy is also different to most ski schools or camps - you have maybe 40-50 students, so it's bigger than a ski camp/private course, but all the instructors are teaching from a common curriculum, just at different levels, so, if on day 2 the beginner group is doing side-slipping, then the advanced groups are doing the same, on steeper terrain, with pivot slips and maybe doing W turns as well. At the end of the day, each group has video review, and then there are talks by various people - authors, ski movie stars, etc (all of whom are instructors on the Academy)
ski holidays
Quote:

if on day 2 the beginner group is doing side-slipping, then the advanced groups are doing the same, on steeper terrain, with pivot slips and maybe doing W turns as well.

I like that idea.
Phil Smith does video feedback too every evening of individual performance. You're given things to work on then the feedback looks as how you're doing. But that's a good idea about working on the same skill - I think you'd all benefit from watching other peoples' technique. I remember watching someone being taught a technique on moghuls and I found it much easier to see how to do it from watching someone else (not that I can remember now!!)
I've never had instruction from a US instructor - so I can't comment on the difference. You've made me think though. Next time we 'cross the pond' I will certainly do so.
I think you're right about getting used to the length of flight, but it is still much more expensive to get there compared with Europe. Also I feel I want to stay longer to make up for the time spent flying. What I need is a little windfall. No actually, a very big windfall!!
latest report
Jane wrote:
but it is still much more expensive to get there compared with Europe

It depends when you go and how your party's made up. I've just come back from Big Sky - although I wasn't on the ESA - not least because it was significantly cheaper than going to Europe for a family during half term. Flights are only a small part of the total cost of skiing, and savings on hotels (free kids in many US resorts), lift passes (also free for kids in some US resorts) and equipment hire (again, free for kids in some Big Sky rental shops) can quickly mitigate the extra cost of flights. Even flights aren't much more expensive if you travel at weekends during school holidays. If you can sit still for a few hours, the only disadvantage of skiing in the USA is jetlag.
ski holidays
ssh, nice video.

Was that the bowl beneath the Lone Peak Triple? My 9-year old rated that 35-40 degree slope as his favourite on the mountain. Even when it was covered in moguls. Even though I felt physically sick every time I stood at the top of it.

Kids make me mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Jane, to give you an idea...
Flight: £320 (from London)
Room: £350 for a week.
This was 2 double beds, balcony, beside the hot tubs/pool, ski-in/ski-out. Breakfast was included, which went from cold buffet/fruit through to omlette chefs cooking to order.
Lift pass: £30 per day (or, with Epic, around £25 per day) discounts for multi-day.

Eating out and drinking are considerably cheaper than European resorts. (around £2.50-£3 per pint for beer)
snow report
Jonny Jones, in the video, the moguls were off the Challenger lift. (Moonlight bumps?) I'll just check the other bit of the vid, and let you know where it was taken...
snow conditions
Yeah, the other bit, as his titles show, was the Elkhorn run in Moonlight Basin - you take the Iron Horse chair up then go right at the top, and you're in Moonlight Basin resort. The Elkhorn was a great run! Very Happy
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, -those costs are pretty good. Where were you staying? We spent CONSIDERABLY more than that last year in Lake Louise and still had to pay for breakfast! My only quibble is the food - I know it's cheaper but unless you go for (horribly expensive) posh chef man - it's all burgers and chips, which I loathe with a passion!! Though both my sons think Europe would be better off with a few more of those places Smile
snow conditions
Jane, that was staying at the Huntley Lodge right at the slopes in Big Sky. As I say, breakfasts were included, and they were excellent. In the evenings, I ate in various locations, and there was good variety. I even went to the Corral restaurant one night (a bus ride from the resort, but well worth it) and a 18oz Bison steak (I think that's what I had) with veg, and a buffet started was about $25. But I will admit that during that dinner I did order 12 shots of Jager, which came to $50... Very Happy
I think part of the thing about food is that we are so Americanised in our restaurants in the UK now, that going to Austria and having weinerschnitzels (or however you spell it), or their soups, seems great, while having a sourdough chilli bowl at Watsons shack in Alta just feels boring. (apart from the snowfall outside) Very Happy

Very soon - like within the next few weeks, I hope to have the pricing for the next ESA in Snowbird. Part of the reason why Big Sky was so cheap was because of the deal EpicSki worked with them. The room I was in should have been $249 a night (we had a mountain view, which they charge $50 extra for). Instead, we paid $99.

As far as I know, the figures for Snowbird are going to be higher - it is a bigger, more expensive resort, and I think the standard rates are in the region of $250-$300 per night. I would expect we should be coming in at around $150 per night, but, again, we're talking about a room with 2 double beds.
snow report
Jane, both WTFH and I stayed at the Huntley Lodge in Big Sky, albeit at different times. I was offered very similar rates to him for both room and flights, even though I went at half term (I think the hotel made an error when they calculated my room rate, but I'm not complaining).

In terms of food, I ate only one burger and one serving of fries in a week - although I was desperate for some vegetables by the end of my stay. The typical lunchtime cost was $4 for each adult (just a bowl of soup as I was still full from my enormous breakfast), and evening meals in the hotel bar averaged about $8 plus beer.

All in all, it was very economical - except for an extremely expensive day trip to Yellowstone National Park that was well worth the extra cash.
snow conditions
Thanks guys. That's useful to know. Can you let me knowWear The Fox Hat, what the Snowbird cost will be? I'm not sure about getting there but you never know.
Have a great time anyway.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WTFH, the video he's talking about is the bowl. I haven't posted the link to the longer video that you so kindly hosted for me!
ski holidays
Jane, I think one of the things about ESA is that you can chat with the people before you go so you get an opportunity to kinda get to know them before you arrive. I think linking up the internet/forum thing is a winner!

Anyway, I'm hoping to go to ESA'06 so it'd be nice to arrange a group of UK people who could share info on flight deals and maybe transfers and even accomodation.
I know it's a while off yet but I'm kinda looking forward to it...

Mrs lbt thinks it's a bit advanced for her (she's just doing parallel turns but she's got this aggressive squirrel/chipmunk thing going with her arms - I need to find a photo) - I saw it mentioned that they may be taking, err, "those newer to skiing?" next time - any ideas?
latest report
lbt, the ESA has groups of all abilities, including near first timers, she'd fit in fine!
I'll be looking into flights etc as soon as things are finalised. It would be great if we could get a group to fly together (we can maybe even get a group discount)
Also, for every snowHead who books to go to the Academy, a donation is made to snowHeads, so you help this site by going.
snow conditions
lbt, there have been virtual never-evers at some of the ESAs. This year, for some reason, the lowest levels were intermediates. Believe me, there is no better opportunity for growth in skiing than I have discovered. And that's saying something!
latest report
Deb & I are planning to go to ESA 06 & would be interested in sharing info on flights & accomodation etc - maybe we could share car hire or transfer costs etc.

We're US/Canada virgins & to make the travelling time & cost worthwhile we're planning a 10/14 day trip starting with the academy & then staying on for more skiing & to put it all in to practice.

Wear The Fox Hat, look forward to seeing your info re costs etc.

BTW, I know everything is bigger in the US but I presume you can get a room with only one double bed Puzzled
snow conditions
spyderjon, yes, but it will probably be King Size! More room for romping, ya know! Twisted Evil Blush
ski holidays
spyderjon, you can either get a twin room, with two American sized queen beds (each about the size of a full double here), or you get a King Sized bed, which has it's own post code.

If there is enough interest from here for people to stay on after the ESA, I can see about organising trips to other resorts - perhaps even up to Jackson Hole for a long weekend.

The announcement IS coming VERY SOON (before Paddy's day) snowHead
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, trips to other resorts sound good.

We're currently looking at flying out on Sat 28th Jan which should get us there in plenty of time to settle in & have a bit of a ski on Sun prior to the Welcome Party on the Sun evening.

Is there at plenty of skiing Alta & Snowbird or will we have 'done it all' during the academy? If there's plenty to ski I was thinking that we could do a day or two more in Alta & Snowbird after the academy finishes on the Thurs evening to put it all into practice on familiar slopes (which helps a bit) & then venture out farther afield after that.

I seem to remember you saying on the Epic forum that there's easy(ish?) hire car access to Solitude, Brighton, Park City & Deer Valley but that it's a five hour drive to Jackson Hole?

We'd like to stay until at least until the 8th of Feb but hopefully, budget permitting, until Sat 11th.

What d'ya reckon - is this a cunning plan or bo!!ocks? snowHead
ski holidays
spyderjon, you're kinda reading my mind!
There's enough in Alta/Bird to keep you happy. If we were to do Jackson, what I might suggest would be to drive up there on the Friday after the Academy, come back on the Tuesday, then spend the Wed-Friday skiing Solitude, Park City and finish in Alta/Bird

But that's just a suggestion.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, sounds good. I presume that way it's easier to get get back to the airport from Alta/Bird rather than going to Jackson last & having to get back to the airport from Jackson?
latest report
spyderjon, yeah, or we could fly back from Jackson, but I prefer to finish the trip in Alta.
You'll understand when you ski it! Very Happy

Oh, and I like your tagline!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm happy to follow your lead.

Thought you'd like the tag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy