Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff / Lake Louise if you don’t want to do off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about Canadian ski trip next year as we need to ski at Easter and we can do 14 days and afford to rest for a day after flight before skiing. I was settled on Banff / Lake Louise as i’s an easy transfer from Calgary on a direct flight. Due to circumstances I don’t do off piste now so strictly own piste but I will do blacks just more cautiously.

Looking at the piste maps there doesn’t seem to be many trails?

I am not one for huge resorts and mostly skid Scandinavia last 5 years but fancied a change - and something bigger than Trysil ( which is 75 km with about 50 km regularly skid by us). But it looks very limited unless the blacks in the bowl get pisted? I fancied Banff to allow teenager to get some retail therapy and me to try the hot springs but is LL better for piste skiing?

The alternative was sun peaks as a larger resort but doesn’t look as stunning as the Rockies backdrop of LL. plus cheapo Crystal don’t go there so more expensive DIY option.

I have done whistler 20 years ago but what I have read about prices and queues plus late in the season it’s ruled out. I also don’t want to drive as a single adult with teenager just in case my icky shoulder pops out again, so as much as ski tour road trip would be ideal it’s out too. Dtr similar skiing ability (less technique but more confidence).

Advice soon as early booking deals ending sooooooon, then we won’t be able to afford it
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got to Banff. Get a big 3 ski pass. Take the free bus. Ride Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise. There’s plenty to keep you amused. Banff is a really great town with plenty of bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went last year for the first time. Like you I was a bit unsure regarding the difference between NA and Europe...... I absolutely loved it! There are loads of pistes and the Big3 are great especially Lake Louise and Sunshine...... downtown Banff is great too

Do it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above do it!

Plenty of pisted stuff.
Make use of the free guides. Something you would pay a fortune for in Europe.

You'll get a bus up to Lake Louise no problem.

If conditions are right try some skiddooing, perhaps even ice fishing.

Unless you are staying there already, make sure you visit The Fairmont Hotel just outside Banff town. Even for just a coffee.

For retail therapy when you get a chance, perhaps on the way home.
Go to Bass Pro shop in Calgary, plus the Mall around it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thx for your responses, will give it a go
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
April is the wrong time of year for Sun Peaks due to less elevation and sub optimal orientation.
Go to Banff.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 20-08-23 2:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jusa, We went to Banff at Easter perhaps 20 years ago. The Banff ski area (Norquay) was closed, but Sunshine and Lake Louise were open and had sufficient skiing for a two week trip. Chateau Lake Louise was magnificent for afternoon tea and the Banff Springs hotel is just magnificent to look at. As it was late in the season the shuttle busses were infrequent and unreliable. It was annoying to see a bus shoot by full then wait 2 hours for the next. I imagine that problem has been sorted now. Even so I'd prefer sitting on the bus for 40 minutes each way rather than renting a car. Plenty of time to read or catch up on sleep. Overall we really enjoyed the trip. We took a rest day in the middle of the holiday, rented a car and drove along to the Athabasca glacier for a walk. It is well worth a visit (if it still exists)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you’ve 14 days you could also go to Marmot Basin or Panorama. Stay in Radium for a night and visit the hot springs Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thx i will explore if transfers available. Is Calgary worth a few days exploring? We do like horses/ riding so a cowboy fix would mix the holiday up a bit (and more retail for teenager). Any recommendations on that front?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jusa, there is an enormous MEC in Calgary worth visiting before you go skiing to pick up some kit.

https://www.mec.ca/en/stores/calgary
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jusa, use the Banff Airporter. Really good value, nice minibusses, great service, you wait in the lobby they come and get you by name........ Highly recommended.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're going to do it, don't just buy the Big 3 lift pass, look in to the other options, as you'll save quite a bit of money!

With regards to off piste, it's not like Europe, everything within the resort boundary is avalanche controlled, so you can ski pretty much anywhere with no fear on that side of things.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Calgary Fairmont is good. But those all are.

The Banff Springs also has a pub, down the hill towards the river, with simple food and weiss bier. But they charge you at least $30 a day to [self] park a car there, from what I remember. It's also out of town. The pool is good/ impressive, and if you like big hot tubs, they have that.

I wouldn't bother driving to Jasper from Banff for the skiing, but the icefields drive is good if the weather's cooperating.

As above, don't sweat the on/ off piste thing, you won't be able to tell the difference and then you'll be an "off piste" skier before you realize it wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier please tell more on these fantastic ski deals. I have looked at Ikon etc but price difference not much when you consider restrictions and this will be the only ski holiday of the year so won’t benefit from free access to any other areas
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jusa,

Lake Louise have this card:

https://www.skilouise.com/tickets-passes/plus-cards/

Sunshine Village used to have something similar, can't see it on their website currently, but it might become available nearer to Winter.
latest report
Can’t really advise on Calgary sorry. The airport is pretty civilized and the curry surprisingly good but that’s all I got Sad
latest report
motdoc wrote:
the curry surprisingly good but that’s all I got Sad

I remember having a very nice curry in Banff also.
snow conditions
Bigtipper wrote:
@Jusa, there is an enormous MEC in Calgary worth visiting before you go skiing to pick up some kit.

According to many of my Canadian friends, MEC isn’t what it used to be. It’s now just one big clothing shop, a tad better quality than Walmart.

The one or two occasion I went in recent years seem to confirm that impression.
snow conditions
motdoc wrote:
If you’ve 14 days you could also go to Marmot Basin or Panorama. Stay in Radium for a night and visit the hot springs Eh oh!

Second the recommendation of Panorama. It’s an easy drive from LL. For those who’s not been there, if you think SS/LL is “quiet”, Panorama is “dead” or almost scarily devoid of people on the piste. You might wonder if you had took a wrong turn and went outside of the boundary kind of “quiet”. Smile

Marmot Basin is a fair bit further. It’s really more for the scenic drive than anything else. Though I must say it’s quite worth it, even without the skiing. I did it one year in late April. There were big horn sheep on the side of the highway.
snow report
Jusa wrote:
Due to circumstances I don’t do off piste now so strictly own piste but I will do blacks just more cautiously.

Looking at the piste maps there doesn’t seem to be many trails?

In North America, blacks are usually not groomed. So most blacks are “off-piste” in character.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy