Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer ski tuning...nature's HotBox

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am pretty dedicated when it come to ski tuning.
During the season I'll tune the edges every three days or so, almost regardless of snow conditions.
Once you have got them razor sharp to start with, and I like 87 and 0.5 base on all skis, all it takes is a few passes with 100, 200, 400 600 diamond stones....back to razor and to all intensive purposes no edge removed.
The bases get a rewax every week or so, sometimes I can get a bit lazy as the weather has to be conducive to spending a couple of hours on the balcony doing them.

We are lucky to have our own spot in the mountains, and the whole family use it a lot, and that means a lot of skis...and I do mean lot! Six people, everyone has at least two pairs, some individuals more than that Embarassed

So come the summer I do a full service on all of them.
Edges.
Bases.
Wax.

It's all very well using a wax iron but if you really want a good wax job nothing beats nature's HotBox.
Apply wax in the normal way and then lay the skis, base up, in the hot sun for an hour or so.
The wax liquefies and really soaks in.
Don't leave it too long as after a while it evaporates.
Give it an hour and then wipe off with some vigorous kitchen toweling action.
There will be no need to scrape, just a brush and polish.

We have a cool and dark ski room so no need for storage waxing...these will be good to go as soon as we arrive in the winter.

I've spent quite a lot on all the stuff to do this, mostly from Jon at the piste office, there is none better.
The money I've spent is a mere fraction of what I would have spent if I'd been using a shop...and to be honest I find a well tuned set of skis very rewarding...run your thumb over a razor edge and polished base...loverly!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy