Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to stop snow sticking to my boot buckles and skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a product on sale in the UK which I can apply to my ski boots which stops the snow sticking to the buckles?

And on a similar basis, is there a good product which is also available in the UK which stops snow sticking to the top sheet of my skis?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zardoz Base Boost
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A silicon based spray polish such as Mr sheen or similar should assist somewhat.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just p1ss on mine if it gets too bad on the way up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
Why?

Perhaps a tiny bit of OCD - it’s just irritating.

Although, some say the cold snow around the toes causes condensation inside the boot; hence soggy socks around the toes. Sounds plausible, but I’m slightly sceptical.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow sticks to your buckles? how odd.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some snow is stickier than others. Sometimes it can make snowballs and snowmen and sticks to your skis and books. And your nose and eye lashes - that's one of my favourite things. Sometimes, it won't stick, won't make snowballs and snowmen. That's called powder snow. But still one of my favourite things......

Always look on the bright side of life..... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gliss, summer holiday vs skiing would fix it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only some snow is sticky, and arguably it doesn't matter, but Silicone spray will work.
It's commonly used for the rubber gaskets around bi-fold doors etc so easy to find eg on amazon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't go skiing..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
I just p1ss on mine if it gets too bad on the way up.

You DO get some funny looks from the other people in the gondola though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mjit wrote:
gondola

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Location = NZ Very Happy

Ski infrastructure and most of society is still stuck somewhere in the mid 20th century Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is one (in the North Island of course wink ) but it's gone bust Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pissing from a chair lift is more spectacular. Bit antisocial on a drag lift though.
snow report
Scotchguard may work.
snow report
Turn your boot heaters up to eleventy-stupid.
snow report
why would that ever be a problem?
snow conditions
@biddpyat, exactly
snow conditions
As to the question, "why?" there are two main reasons.

For my boots, I want to make micro adjustments to some of my buckles after I've been skiing for an hour or so. So as to a specific example, the snow at Hemel tends to get under the micro-adjustment lever, so adjustments once you have started skiing is a pain (see image).

For my skis, after I've finished at Hemel there is usually a lot of snow stuck to the top sheet. Of course, I can scrape the snow off with my gloves (or using a brush) but I'd watched a video by Jens (who runs Stomp It camps) and he mentioned he used a product on his skis and boots to stop snow sticking - he didn't say what though - hence the question here.

https://imgur.com/WPN0l7Y

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-11-22 14:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Roguevfr wrote:
A silicon based spray polish such as Mr sheen or similar should assist somewhat.

Yes, that makes sense. I'll look to get a can (maybe not Mr Sheen) of something without a fragrance to see if that works.
snow report
I can see an argument here for:

- If snow sticks to skis and you are constantly taking them off and holding them to get onto lifts - your gloves get wet
- If you need to keep adjusting your boot buckles - your gloves get wet
- If your boots don't seal properly - could lead to wet toes? - though there is a much bigger issue
- Never thought about the frozen snow on the boot - but may make the shell stiffer / condensation on the inside / colder toes - though I seem to just knock the heels and toes together in the lift line to clear it off?
snow report
In my experience some children, or immature adult skiers, like to knock the spare snow off their skis and boots as they sit in the chairlift going over a road full of pedestrians.
snow report
ah, skiing in a snow dome would indeed make a difference, or if you repeat runs to the bottom of a gondola you could end up with wet gloves, I tend to avoid taking off my skis when I can so the snow on skis wouldn't be a problem, and fixing my tension I don't have to very often, but once I snap the clip up it gets rid of any residing snow.
ski holidays
@pam w, better than one of the snow clearing methods suggested above.
ski holidays
@Gliss, GT85 might work
ski holidays
Hoping I can squeeze one last tour in for 22 soon.

In the interests of science I'm going to scull a can of silicone polish and see how well it works.
snow report
could try
muc of protect and shine
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Or any good Polymer polish.
snow report
People actually put that stuff on their boots and skis? To keep snow off???

I get it if snow accumulates on buckles and maybe forms into ice and makes unclipping/adjusting a pain. Its not a problem Ive come across but then I don’t ski in powder where I would think its more likely to happen if it does.

But to keep snow off topsheets? I can’t think enough would ever accumulate there to affect performance (or even when you when you carry them) except so you couldn’t see the graphics/brand.
snow conditions
If you're using / lapping a gondola and carrying skis often then stops your gloves getting wet.
Dry gloves are warm gloves.
latest report
If you lift your leg and kick the back of the ski down into the snow, the accumulated snow flies off the shovel of the ski. You might, of course, fall over in the process; there's no such thing as a free lunch.
latest report
You can get stuff for topsheets: https://www.holmenkol.com/de-de/en_GB/cat/Products-10100/Snow-10068/Alpin-10089/prod/160066/

Not sure spraying it on your boots would be a good idea though...
ski holidays
Snow on boots and skis........well I never

Whatever next -

That pesky mud on your walking boots?

The nightmare of damp swimwear?

When will this horror end?
latest report
ShakiraShakira wrote:
You can get stuff for topsheets: https://www.holmenkol.com/de-de/en_GB/cat/Products-10100/Snow-10068/Alpin-10089/prod/160066/

Interesting - I wonder if ski techs put this on professional racers skis - the ones on TV I mean - not for performance reasons - so that the brands topsheet is always visible
snow report
@ster, my unique method of clearing snow off top sheets is needed for touring - no point pushing a couple extra kg up a hill on a full bladder
snow conditions
Interestingly korua, who make really nice snowboards, have a split model with base material on the top sheet so it can be waxed to prevent snow and ice build up. Novel idea. It’s on their super light weight carbon expensive one.
snow report
@hang11, remind me never to carry your skis for you.
snow report
extremerob wrote:
ShakiraShakira wrote:

Interesting - I wonder if ski techs put this on professional racers skis - the ones on TV I mean - not for performance reasons - so that the brands topsheet is always visible

I definitely don't think so. Im sure everyone has seen what they do at the bottom of the course... one ski off, wipe the surface, smile:)

If you need to get the snow off of your ski, first you pole it to make sure it is loose. Next, use your other ski to get some more snow on there. Lastly, you snap the tail down and flip the snow upwards at whoever is in the line with you:)
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
In my experience some children, or immature adult skiers, like to knock the spare snow off their skis and boots as they sit in the chairlift going over a road full of pedestrians.

The real skill is to load as much snow as possible onto your skis & keep it there as you get on the chair, bomb aiming skills are also very useful Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy