Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The dangers of relying on published avalanche risk levels

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Amply demonstrated following the slide on Bellecôte (La Plagne) with very nearly fatal consequences. Full report on PisteHors.

Risk level at the time? 1 (on a scale of 1 to 5).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So what can we rely on?

Be guided or be damned?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I dunno, luck, common sense, and a maximum of precautions, plus a guide if possible. And even then that's no guarantee. The mountains show little respect for badges of expertise and competence at times.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There should be fewer levels - that will make it safer. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We watched a small natural slide on Bellcote on Friday when the Risk was 2. I was surprised to see the Risk changed to 1 on Saturday. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The published risk level is the general level for the whole resort and you cannot assume it will apply to all areas of the resort, even more so in an area as huge as La Plagne.

The accident happened in a couloir on the north face of Bellecote. The north face has an entirely different aspect to the main resort. It is literally around the back side of the mountain to the main resort area. When you ski down the north face you end up nowhere near La Plagne.

The accident also happened ina a couloir and couloirs each have their own peculiarities.

The official risk level is only one of the factors you should consider when assessing the safety of a potential run.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing in a Couloir you do at your own risk & you wouldnt never rely on the Avalanche scale.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just read the report. I was there in the same area the day of the slide, yes I almost saw it happen as i came down another couloir and saw the rescue afterwards, but was to far away to help.

I would have said the level was 3 that day and all those i spoke with felt the same, not saying who ever said it was one was wrong in his view, but it depends what you are doing, where, when, etc. etc. I have been on courses, studied at Uni and still think I have a lot to learn.

When it comes to off piste, there are know avalanche experts, it can happen, you do your best to plan what you do to be safe. For myself i always follow a set plan.

Ask local people what they think of the conditions on a route at the time before you do it.

Always check recent snow fall depth, wind direction, temp and angles of decent before going to a slope.

Make sure you have an escape plan in case it starts to slide, sometimes you have only seconds to react.

Always carry the right gear.

Check what the weather will be doing whilst you are on the trip, temp during the day can change what the snow is doing while you are on it.

KEEP an eye out for others below and ABOVE

and hope all goes well.

Hope this gives poeple a few things to think about.

What do you do to prepare, please post.

Oh yes, if you do not have the experience, take a guide, but remember they can also get it wrong.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy wrote:

I would have said the level was 3 that day and all those i spoke with felt the same, not saying who ever said it was one was wrong in his view, but it depends what you are doing, where, when, etc. etc. I have been on courses, studied at Uni and still think I have a lot to learn.

What do you do to prepare, please post.

I would probably start with reading the avalanche bulletin and its detail.

Quote:
N73070411
BULLETIN D'ESTIMATION DU RISQUE D'AVALANCHE
de SAVOIE
valable hors des pistes balisées et ouvertes
POUR LE SAMEDI 8 AVRIL 2006

ESTIMATION DES RISQUES JUSQU'A SAMEDI SOIR :
SUR TOUS MASSIFS : RISQUE FAIBLE - niveau 1
.... snip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, is that the report that Thierry writes, as referred to in your piece on pistehors?

Do you have the URL for the avalanche bulletin?

regards,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
caveat, or in this case - skier, emptor!. You ski at your own risk assessment!.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh wrote:
davidof, is that the report that Thierry writes, as referred to in your piece on pistehors?

Do you have the URL for the avalanche bulletin?

regards,

Greg

Yes it is the normal Meteo France avalanche bulletin for the Savoie. Do you want the bulletin for last Saturday or the current one which is here:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/bulNeige.jsp?LIEUID=DEPT73
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks, its the current one I'm after, don't suppose they have an English version? Not sure I trust my french with such important info!!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is quite interesting. The published avalanche risk level forms the basis (or at least the starting point of the calculations) of certain risk evaluation techniques - eg Werner Munter's 3x3 technique. I understand that in Switzerland, this technique has gained a lot of credence as a test to determine whether a guide has acted negligently in getting his clients into an avalanche. In fact one guy I skied with a couple of weeks ago said it was "the" test as to negligence.

I think my feeling is that it does seem odd to have rated the risk as 1 on this day. OK, it is quite heavily caveated, but given the nature of a 1 rating, it does seem that if it has to be heavily caveated, it probably ought to be a 2!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy