Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Injury at Aple D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Big G, funnily enough, those are exactly my symptoms too - but I had thought they were from my Ach tendon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, I'm happy to take pot shots at you at any time. I don't need reading glasses, if you want to invite comparisons between what you've posted here and the statements you made to your ambulance chasing lawyers, then I'm happy to post your statement together with the witness statements we have gathered, there are a number from snowheads incidentally and let the forum judge just who is a lying, conniving cheat who is falsely attempting to claim for an injury caused by their own incompetence and stupidity.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 30-03-06 16:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's an incompetent way to spell incompetence.

[NB. David@backtrax has now corrected it. Thank you, David]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-03-06 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, I'm certainly not going to stop you, but I think you should offer your apologies to Nick first for the hijack and start another thread to follow up on your intent. You're off topic here and being very rude.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick L, It is the achilies, what is happening is that one of the muscles that attaches to the tendon is damaged and has tightened. This puts the tendon under strain and creates tension at the attachment site on the heal. When you flex your ankle, because the muscle is already tight, and the tendon is non-elastic the strain is transfered to the attachment point between bone and tendon. This causes micro detatchments of the tendon (the burning sensation) which reattach over time. Obviously if you continuously cause these detatchments you stand the risk of suffering a total detachment of the tendon. This is different from a rupture where the actual tendon snaps. Sad But has very similar syptoms.

What I am finding is that I can not stretch the muscle out without it casing the pain in my heal, catch 22. The way to sort this out is to release the muscle and relieve the tension. What the massuer will do is actually break the knots in the muscle fibres and then realign them so that they heal in the correct alignment. This is not what a normal massage does, so if you do go for one make sure it is a proper sports massage. If it doesn't hurt like hell then its the wrong sort Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Big G. I'll look forward to that Sad

What I want to know is: what has happened to Nick Zotov?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What I want to know is: what has happened to Nick Zotov?

Yeah it would be interesting. It does sound odd to rupture an achilies whilst in a fairly rigid ski boot with limited forward flexion. Would be interesting to hear what happened to Masque also, but I dare say this will have to wait until the lawyers have had their fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Would be interesting to hear what happened to Masque also, but I dare say this will have to wait until the lawyers have had their fun.

Sounds definitely "sub judice" to me Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Being totally unprofessional, and not having seen the patient at all, I wonder whether he has ruptured his gastrocnemius rather than his achilles tendon?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bad news Nick - get well soon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cant understand how anyone can ski with a snapped achilles tendon. I would have thought it impossible.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick Zotov, So sorry to hear about it- hope it's not too painful.

I'm sure that you will be back on your skis soon- and skiing off piste with SCGB reps.........
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, I really really hate amblance chasing lawyers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, and their clients, and the hired gun docs who write the dodgy medico-legal reports to support them......and the NHSLA..............
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DavidS, No you're not the only one but reading the posts here I could hazard a guess but don't want to know any more, nor is this the correct forum for airing grievances. rolling eyes

As regards our injured snowHead I don't know the guy but I have read many of his posts both here and on SCGB and get the impression that he is knowledgeable, fair-minded and an all round good egg. It's a big downer that he is injured and I wish him a speedy recovery. He did say that he may not get on the internet for a while so I guess he is dulling the pain with Scotland's finest or trying to get surgery/home.
snow report
Nick Zotov, my commiserations.

I completely ruptured my Achilles tendon playing squash about a dozen years ago. I must say that before I hit the deck (and after the typical reactions of "I've been shot", followed by "my opponent has rapped the back of my ankle with the edge of his racket") I knew that I wouldn't be walking again for a while.

Hopefully your injury is not a complete rupture but, if it is, I think it needs repairing surgically ASAP before the two ends retract.
latest report
There are two options for a total rupture of an Achilles tendon, either surgical repair, or management in an equinus plaster (ankle held in plantar flexion).

Generally for younger more active people the surgical option was preferred, for older people, non operative management, or at least that was the case when I used to work in Orthopaedics four years ago.
snow report
Sorry to hear of your injury Nick. If it's any consolation we remove from the beach around 6 ruptured achilles patients each season. All of them to date have been males in their 40s or 50s and they usually reckon they have been 'shot' in the calf (we don't usually allow snipers on the beach) or have been hit by a cricket ball that has always mysteriously disappeared!! I put it down to the male menopause!! They turn up to the beach, run around with their kids playing football etc and ping it's broken! Now if they were not so macho and relaxed instead of trying to prove they could run or play football for England they would be fine. Anyway a speedy recovery to you. Little Angel
snow conditions
edsilva, yes but they're not as bad as the lying scumbags who use them.
latest report
Nick Zotov, sorry to hear about your injury - good luck and get well soon.

My brother completely severed his Achilles on Dec 22nd in Brazil. Before being flown home he was told an operation was the only method used out there so he came home convinced that was what was going to happen to him.
The consultant (in Hemel Hempstead) explained both routes. His analysis was this:
5% chance of re rupture after being put in the plaster Kramer mentions above, for 12 weeks.
3% chance of re rupture after operarion BUT (and a very big BUT, we decided) 2% chance of infection on the incision site, which would result in very serious and grave consequences as the flesh in that area is so thin that an infection can make healing v v difficult.
My brother decided on the plaster and came out of it 3 weeks ago.
He's told he'll be able to run again in six months and ski safely next season (he can ski in April if he wants but is advised not to.
ski holidays
finnbob, ha ha - I read your post after writing mine!!! My brother is a bit younger (34) but he was indeed, playing football, on the beach, with his son, no doubt showing off that he was as good as the young 'uns!!!
latest report
Nick Z, sorry to hear your news, I will just have to look forward to the PSB to offer you my 'guiding' skills again.

I wonder what sort of badge I would need to drive one of those blood wagons . . . .
snow conditions
Just out of interest, why didn't Nick's bindings protect him from this injury. I'm not sure how an achilles tendon is broken/ruptured when in a ski boot, but I guess it is from excessive stretching? Isn't that kind of movement something that ski bindings should be very good at preventing?
snow conditions
nightshift, those statistics are pretty spot on AFAIR.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, I'm a bit mystified as well. As a matter of fact I thought skiing was an excellent (latter) part of my rehabilitation, because the tendon is exercised constantly but through a limited and safe range.
snow report
Nick Zotov Really sorry to hear about your injury, so I gues you won't make it to the EOSB, but don't worry too much - my dad broke his achilles in Zermatt in the middle of the typhoid outbreak in 1964 (I think). He's been fine ever since even though they were quarantined and his treatment obviously wasn't the best possible. No lasting side effects - you'll be fine in short order and skiing again in no time I hope!

nightshift, I recently had a dutch client who'd had the op after a total break and the infection and all sorts as described - 2 years off skiing, but he's OK now.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, Aww poor you, what bad luck! Sad I wish you a very speedy recovery, and keep us posted on your progress Very Happy
snow conditions
Masque, David@traxvax, please continue your discussion in the car park, gentlemen.

Nick Zotov, how's it going?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Z, don't know how the injury is progressing but I knew a teacher who 'snapped' his achhilles walikng across the playground and was in plaster for weeeks. Is it a tear, break, strain? I have skied with a strain and a tear may heal realatively quickly. a snap or break will proably require an op. I can see that the fail-safe remedy may be to immobilise it with a cast whatever you have done.

Good luck, anyway and a speedy recovery
snow report
richmond, I've been out here for months Laughing Laughing kinda lonely
snow report
Nick Zotov, Bad Luck mate - commiserations. FWIW my youngest daughter broke her wrist in February at Alpe d'Huez, and my experience with the 'Doc asks for cash' was identical to yours. Not a problem as I could walk to the cash point.

Hope your ankle heels quickly. snowHead
snow report
Nick Zotov, bad luck!!!! Here's to a speedy recovery.
snow conditions
Quote:

Hope your ankle heels quickly

Er, I meant 'heals' of course, wasn't meant to be a joke, just a typo Embarassed
latest report
AxsMan,

You get a laugh anyway... Laughing
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Just out of interest, why didn't Nick's bindings protect him from this injury. I'm not sure how an achilles tendon is broken/ruptured when in a ski boot, but I guess it is from excessive stretching? Isn't that kind of movement something that ski bindings should be very good at preventing?

Yes. The achilles should be protected by the heel release mechanism, provided that the achilles is in reasonable shape in the first place. The injury could signal:

a. Heel unit too close to toe unit (excessive forward force into toe and jamming of heel)
b. Heel unit DIN too high, or the window giving a false impression of the actual release value.
c. Mechanical defect in heel unit
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I vaguely recall Nick alaready had some achilles problem but it may have been his opposite one of course. I think he had boot problems because of scar tissue.
ski holidays
Nick L wrote:
Thanks Frosty the Snowman and Big G. I go to the gym every week-day and do a full calf stretch in my cool-down so in fact it is a bit better now than a couple of weeks ago.

Re:walking following Achilles Tendon rupture. Some people can manage to walk flat-footedly i.e. they have no ability to get up onto the ball of their foot.

Having read poor Nick's tale of woe again, I have found another area of concern - I'm insured with Snowcard Shocked

you could try foam roller for stretching it...
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I think your right because I remember him mentioning it in the thread about his touring week with the skiclub last year.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Yes he did, but it was very tender skin, and a very old injury. He got some stuff to protect his heel and he was fine when he was here - and very chuffed cos Cedric wouldn't sell him a pair of foamed inners as he said it wasn't necessary! Poor Nick. I sure we were all looking forward to seeing him at the EOSB too. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Thanks for all the good wishes, including by PM. Will answer those, and tell you more, soon.

masmith, My mate said that there was fantastically good snow up high yesterday - made the tunnel run a delight. Today raining at resort level.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy