Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton in March--Where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
I have never been to St Anton before and am debating whether staying in St Cristoph, particularly at the Alpenhotel, is a a smart decision. We like to be close to the slopes and do not like waiting on long lines in the morning so it seems like this is a good place to stay. Is staying in this area recommended? We are not into partying or apres ski...

Thank you for any advice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are looking for somewhere quiet with good lift access from anywhere in town, little to no lines, and north facing slopes, I would recommend Warth.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are pretty dead set on being near the train as we are trying to ski on both the morning of our arrival and departure. I will certainly try to see if I can ski over there though that sounds nice!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiandgolfnut, St. Christoph is not near the railway. It's situated up on the Arlbergpass miles away from St. Anton.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skiandgolfnut,
St.Christoph is a separate hamlet, high up the Arlbergpass. 7 km from St.Anton.
St.Christoph is nothing more than a few hotels.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am I wrong in seeing on google maps that it is ten minutes by taxi?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As far as I understood, it is a separate hamlet with only a few hotels, yes, but one that is ten minutes by car from St Anton and with easy access to the slopes. I definitely do not want to stay there if it is further than I believed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skiandgolfnut, St. Christoph has easy access to the slopes, yes. It is a collection of hotels halfway up the pass that connects St.Anton to Lech and Stuben. I guess there may be taxis. Not sure how long they take to get to the station. If you are unlucky then it can be a matter of days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
10 minutes by taxi when Arlbergpass is clear. The Arlbergpass is probably the snowiest road of Austria
There is 500 meter altitude difference between St.Christoph and St.Anton wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skiandgolfnut,
I think you can take some of the warnings with a grain of salt. Smile Taxi might take half an hour, but is it the end of the world? From that point of view St. Christoph seems like a good choice to me. Still, I won't be held responsible if the Arlbergpass is stuck for days. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the info. If the pass is closed then that means I get to extend my trip a few days Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the pass is closed it is also likely that the Stchristophbahn will be too so you get just three little drags to use. Also not a very pleasant run back from Galzig on 64.
I don't see anything going for staying there. In fact I've come to the conclusion over 12 seasons of staying in StAnton that there are better places to be like Lech, Zurs, Warth and Schroken. You can still pop to StAnton if you really must....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Part of my issue is for 4 day trip I have been trying to get offers from hotels and have had no offers in St Anton proper for less than Saturday to Saturday, many even saying that they are sold out during that period. I know many people have had luck waiting until last minute, but coming from the States that just isn't so practical. It definitely would not be good to get stuck up there on either departure day or any day in which the lifts are closed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does it often happen that Stchritophbahn is closed but the lifts in St Anton are open?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Occasionally and usually not for a prolonged period.

From my experience, StC-Bahn closes more often from storm-level winds than avalanche risk. If the former happens, then usually most/all StA upper mountain lifts are also closed.
snow report
@skiandgolfnut, are you contacting the hotels directly or are you using St. Anton's website for this? I find usually that I have more luck contacting hotels directly. Still, the stories about KILLER last-minute DEALS seem like urban legends to me. To share my recent experience: I'm doing Mon-Mon this year and only 2 in thirteen hotels I contacted had anything to offer. (But most offered a Sat-Sat alternative.) One did suggest that I return later to see if there are any cancellations, but I didn't want to wait, so I took one of the offers received. It was a good offer anyway.

If you're willing to relent the requirement of being close to the slopes, you may have better luck. You can always use the ski depots by the lifts, which makes mornings easier.
latest report
Try Pettneu or St Jacob. You'll have to ski bus it in but is isn't far from either terminal. On the day you arrive and leave I'd just ski out of the lockers at the rail station if you want to maximise ski time.
snow report
BTW I think St Christoph is the definition of bleak and desolate ( as is Zuers) but doesn't seem to impact hotel prices. Stuben is far more cutesy.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, funny you should say that. I haven't ever actually set foot in St. Christoph (apart from catching the lift there), but from the inside of a bus, I think it has a sort of quaintness to it. Still OP, doesn't care about partying or apres, so perhaps "bleak and desolate" is a good thing?
ski holidays
Have you tried the Schwartz Adler in St Anton, I've booked in there for a long weekend before, it is very good. I was also there a couple of weeks ago, guests were checking in/out all week.
snow report
Stuben maybe worth it? 5min taxi ride from the station at Langen (or hotel could pick you up....)

I'd recommend this place https://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/en/
snow conditions
Interesting stuff.

I have filed general requests with the tourism board and received a few offers but nothing to our liking. I also took a list of every 4 star property in town (seems like it was over 20, including Schwartz adler as someone mentioned) and emailed each of them directly. We received maybe two other offers, one was too expensive and one did not have a spa. Received a lot of either "sold out" or "nothing other than sat-sat until last minute". We are two adults each wanting our own single room which seems like a difficult request to rely on until last minute.

The Alpenhotel has pretty much all we are looking for, well reviewed rooms, half board, and spa, and ski on ski off and for under 200 euro p/n. Stuben seems interesting if I had offers there I would consider them too.

I would say the ambiance of it all does not bother me in the slightest. Desolate boring and quiet are not an issue for us. We are the type that are perfectly content in a nice 4 star hotel with spa and a sun deck and half board and quiet nights.

What does very much concern me though is the issues of both road closures and lift closures. That would ruin my vacation both potentially from a departure/arrival perspective and while we are there.

Not that I have gotten any comparable offers in St. Anton, St. Jakob or Pettneu, but if I did--in the event of either high winds or high snow, are they particularly more immune to issues?

Don't want to go somewhere so highly unreccomended but its all I got right now Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
I reckon the drive form St Anton to St Christoph averages around 15 mins. It doesn't shut all that often, and when it was shut recently for avalanche danger the road to/from Pettneu/St Jacob were also closed (and the train for that matter).

That's not a common scenario though, and you need more than just snowfall for the road to shut - a mega storm, or something that pushes the avalanche risk to extreme levels.

Never say never, and especially the way this season's going who knows what could happen, but I think most would agree that you've got around a 99% chance of having no issues at all.
snow conditions
@skiandgolfnut, decent hotel with spa, you just described the Hubertushof I linked to.

If you contact them ask for a package price including lift pass.
ski holidays
I reached out to them earlier will see what they say. Thanks for the rec, they weren't on my list.

On a different note--off piste guide. For a private guide is there any alternative to paying the ~400 euro all the major outfits seem to charge? Are there dependent guys that maybe do it for a lot less than that? Safety isnt necessarily something I want to skimp on but its a big number and we dont want to do a group, we like running on our own schedule.
snow report
The AlpenHotel is a lovely, quality small hotel with ski in, ski out service. (There´s a flat run to the Hotel along the cross country track, or off piste). I´d say, Go For It!
I worked my first seasons there. Since then the Hotel ownership has changed, but it still gets great reviews.
It takes 10-15mins with a taxi from either the St Anton station or the Langen station in Vorarlberg. Unless you´re arriving in the middle of a busy Saturday, there should be taxi´s waiting at either station too.
From what I remember 15 years ago, the Hotel´s spa facilities are only small, but very nice. It´s not a big busy Hotel so plenty of room.
St Christoph is a cluster of Hotel´s and restaurants between St Anton and Zuers via the road, but is linked to the St Anton side of the ski resort with the 4 man chair lift, just below the Alpen Hotel.
The chair lift is only really closed if there are technical faults or risk of avalanche. These problems get sorted out fast, as it´s the main connection for some top Hotels to the St Anton pistes. If there was a major problem, you can still catch a taxi, or regular bus to St Anton, Stuben, Zuers or Lech.
Okay, it´s situated at the top of the Arlberg pass, which does receive a lot of snow. That´s half of the charm. There is no real town to explore, but you can do that in St Anton or Lech.
You could get unlucky and the road could be closed for some hours (or all of) your arrival/departure day. But that could happen anywhere else too depending on weather and snow conditions. 2 weeks ago, St Anton was closed off while St Christoph was still accessible from the Vorarlberg side, for example. A few hours later pretty much every road leading to a ski resort in Tirol was closed down for the night.
These things happen, but not on a weekly or even monthly basis.
On the whole if you´re looking for a good Hotel, quiet, beautiful, location with good skiing access....I´d highly recommend it.
latest report
thanks for that response that would be great if only they didn't email me saying there was a misunderstanding and that while I thought I was reserving two single rooms they thought I was reserving one double. So the Alpenhotel is out for now. Back to square one. Judging off of what Ive learned from this thread, I am basically going to book whatever the hell I can get at this point! Scared we will be on the streets!
snow report
An update:

Unbelievable trip. Wound up taking some of the advice on here and staying in Stuben. After skiing in St Cristoph too this seems like it was a wise decision. Only 20 minutes from the st anton train (in good weather). Still very quiet but more of a charming feel to it with more restaurant options. Stuben was also a perfect base to explore the whole region. The flexenbahn makes it the perfect starting point in all directions. Stayed in the chalet hotel mondschein for 75 euro per night not including breakfast. This is not part of the main hotel but up on the hill next to the huberstuhof. You use the elevator to get down to the slopes and we ate breakfast there for 15 euro per day. The chalet was very modern and luxurious, i would highly recommend it. The hotel was great at coming to pick us up by van when we wanted to use the spa in the main hotel.

I will be back--the off piste skiing in the arlberg is difficult to comprehend for most here in the US. Next year we will try France.

Thanks for the help all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Try Pettneu or St Jacob. You'll have to ski bus it in but is isn't far from either terminal. On the day you arrive and leave I'd just ski out of the lockers at the rail station if you want to maximise ski time.

Yes, this is what I do and am doing again this coming Easter weekend.
snow conditions
@Kelskii, me too - want to meet for some turns/apres @ underground at some point?
snow report
@skiandgolfnut, is the chalet hotel mondschein owned/part of Hubertushof?? Very Happy
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Kelskii, me too - want to meet for some turns/apres @ underground at some point?

That would be great - will pm you my number.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy