Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Being big for a slalom race ski is good for rec use?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My home hill is very small and hard packed and I am an intermediate+ skier at the moment, but still learning. I am 182 cm and 95kg. I demo'd an Elan SL Fusion carving/race ski in 165 cm R12.8 last weekend and loved how they just carved at lower speeds and effort really well. I also tried their racier SLX in 165cm and found them a bit too stiff to turn well at lower speeds. I now hate my current skis (ancient R19 twin tips) and am looking for something in the used market that turns like those Elan SL's.
These skis are close to me https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1331320524&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b
Head super shape liquid metal skis. 160 cm, (120, 65, 105) 10.7Radius. I assume I'm a bit heavy for these so is that going to make a full race slalom ski initially turn easier or harder for me, at lower speeds? Also is the short radius going to be a problem? Already with the Elan SL's I learned to always be turning a bit or the back end kicks around but going from 12.8 to 10.7r seems like a large percent difference?
Basically all I want to do this
http://youtube.com/v/uW4F8AEiofk , no moguls, etc...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@indyian, welcome to snow heads. I'm similar height/weight to you and am also thinking about a pure piste ski. On my short list are Rossignol hero elite ST (short turn) in 167cm and the Dynastar speed zone 16 Ti konect. I'm hoping to test them at some point.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems the 165cm range would be one size down for us, which is what Rossignol recommends for a less aggressive skier. 160 is two sizes down and up to 160lbs which is quite a bit less... Seems like I should probably wait for a 165cm set to show up but I'd be interested in anyone's experience being a bigger skier on shorter slalom skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm identical to you in height / weight and to say I like carving as in that video is a bit of an understatement. I currently ski on head supershape iRallys as an all round ski 170cm 76uf and r13.6m. I demod the Rossi hero st at 163 r12 and loved them.
Check out the head supershape iTitans too, excellent edge grip possibly at ~160 to get a smaller turn radius.
I've been having a battle to find a wide ski for offpiste that still has a small turn radius for when I'm on piste. I found some 95mm skis with r16 which is just small enough to keep me entertained on piste
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m 185cm (and 110kg) and have a 165 ski in my ‘quiver’. Great fun to really drive a turn and see how quick they come round, although I haven’t used them too much at the minute.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alright, so it sounds like going a bit short/overloaded isn't going to spoil things at all for a fun ski doing short turns.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@indyian, more of a question is the ski.

A full bore FIS SL is 165cms for everyone (male), 155cms (female).

Detuned/recreational skis come in other and longer lengths as they aren’t as stiff nor torsionally as rigid.

That means one probably wants the appropriate length, of just go full on.

They’re fun. And surprisingly good in powder.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy