Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mutzig

Poster: A snowHead
Off the back of "The most expensive pint" thread, Andy says:

"Mutzig in Bar Robinson is pretty good value for money in ABV per € terms, and you won't be drinking many anyway".

I went to Villaroger recently and La Ferme no longer sells Mutzig. I'm no big drinker on ski trips but it was always a most enjoyable / intriguing pint (or two).

Apart from Bar Robinson in Morzine, which other ski resorts can you find Mutzig?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there's two types of mutzig as well with different voltage, much like kronenborg red and 1664.

the normal ones rubbish (like kronenborg!)

most places around here seem to have ditched it due to france boisson being "difficult" to deal with and have moved to peroni which is a reasonably good pint.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@eddiethebus, Peroni? Persoddingoni? What? Mutzig is definitely a different beast. A much better beast. A beast that stops my legs working quite quickly too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, Mützig by the jug in the Alpaka in Tignes... you have the rest of this season to get some before they finally knock the place down. Allegedly.

The liquid itself is the very embodiment of pure evil. I'll still be sad to see it go, some great nights in there drinking that stuff (and some not so good mornings after).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zermattandchips, used to be able to get "old mutzig" in several bars around meribel (worked there a couple of decades ago now, it took a couple of weeks to "acclimatize" to the stuff each season) not sure if you still can though, as not been to meribel for beers in over a decade.

was disappointed not to be able to find it in les menuires this year, in the bars we visited anyway!!!

as you say, it is very good value for money compared to most other beers, as it blows your head Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite a few bars in Tignes did Mutzig, but it seems to have all but disappeared (maybe even from the 'paka). Peroni is definitely the wallop of choice for most of the bars.

If you want something to take your legs away pop up to the Embuscade and try the Kwak, it is served in a mini yard of ale (about 25cm at a guess) in a wooden stand, those Belgian certainly knew how to take the pain away!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, I have various glasses for Belgian beers somewhere, mainly after several trips to Bruges over the years. i presume the missus have stuck them in a box in the loft as not seen for a while, one of them is the "kwak" one with a wooden stand.

the Belgians can make a few things exceptionally, Beer, chocolate and footy players at the moment (though as a team they don't tend to do a great deal)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had Mutzig. I think I'd be scared to...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, the Alpaka was still doing Mutzig a couple of weeks ago and I had an appropriately rotten hangover as a result Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, there is a Belgian place in London doing Kwak by the 25cl, 50cl and 100cl. The 50cl was plenty for me, dangerous stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First time I drank Mutzik ( not knowing what it was ) it stole my legs. I walked in to the bar sat down had 2 glasses of Mutzig and then my legs would not work.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if anyones in chamonix and wants a decent beer, beer'o'clock sells some great ones (and ones that make mutzig seem like coke!)

had a demi last night that was 10% Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eddiethebus, I rather like Beer o’Clock...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
@chocksaway, there is a Belgian place in London doing Kwak by the 25cl, 50cl and 100cl. The 50cl was plenty for me, dangerous stuff.

100cl in the stand with bulb rush would see you away pretty quickly
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Barometer in Meribel does Mutzig, Robbos I think changed ownership this year...
snow conditions
The nice thng about Beer o’Clock is being able to pour small glasses of ridiculously strong beer and sipping them.

Disappointed that Bighorn no longer dispenses Tank 7. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
From what I have seen, most spots that once sold Mutzig seemed to have to moved to La Chouffe, certainly not a move south as far as alcohol content is concerned but not a measurable improvement in the overall drinking experience. Possibly something to do with a distribution deal?
snow report
We used to buy Mutzig 6 or 12 packs in the supermarket. Worked out at about 25p per bottle.
snow conditions
terrygasson wrote:
@chocksaway, I have various glasses for Belgian beers somewhere, mainly after several trips to Bruges over the years. i presume the missus have stuck them in a box in the loft as not seen for a while, one of them is the "kwak" one with a wooden stand.

the Belgians can make a few things exceptionally, Beer, chocolate and footy players at the moment (though as a team they don't tend to do a great deal)

+1 for Kwak (I've got one of those glass / stand combos although too much hassle to be honest
latest report
The bottled Mutzig is lower abv (and more consistent abv) than the stuff they sell on tap.

The main issue with Mutzig was the fact that it slipped down so easily. It's like drinking regular beer, and then you find your legs don't quite work. With Belgian ales and German bocks etc. you know you're drinking something strong. And when we go MTBing in Morzine, our group is 3, so that means you can only order rounds in multiples of 3. So 1 Mutzig means you'll be having 3 regardless Wink

From the amount of places I see La Chouffe (and also Duvel, who own them), I can only assume they've been busy building distribution channels. I have to force myself to avoid that shelf in the supermarket. Also Leffe, and a 12% abv Eisbock that is rather nice are on that shelf.

South America was bad. €2 for a litre of Rum in a French département d'outre-mer. And they sell it in wine-box bladder things too.
ski holidays
@skimottaret, good to hear Barometer in Meribel are still selling Mutzig, was first introduced to the "rocket fuel" in jacks bar when the Barometer owners were running jacks 20 odd years ago.

from my "hazy" memory, there used to be loads of establishments selling it donkeys ago, and different ABV from bar to bar. on several occasions played pub golf with our chalet guests on a Saturday afternoon/evening (used to get big groups who booked out the chalet, and just wanted to party as soon as getting of the coach), evening meal could get messy!!!
ski holidays
This is what you want for a night in

Or an afternoon in even. It's my Saturday / Sunday consumption now that the cycling classics season is upon us

Mind you, you wouldn't be capable of anything after...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy