Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trainers/shoes around resort

Poster: A snowHead
My current trainers I fall over on rainy days walking around flat areas of the UK due to the lack of grip. Does anyone have recommendations for trainers/shoes/boots for walking around icey areas of the alps?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy sneaker crampons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Buy sneaker crampons.

Or make your own out of bicycle pedals with toeclips like in The Transporter film.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This sort of thing

https://www.mammalboots.co.uk/pages/oc-ice-grip-system

or failing that, this with wheels?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/b1/5b/75b15bd241ca33c932c9320b4f4208ae.jpg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends how treacherous the conditions are I guess but I have a pair of Hi-Tec 'raven' mid-boots which are fine for snow and light ice and are remarkably water proof; i have frequently walked through v deep snow in them over a prolonged period of time and socks & feet remain totally dry. On icy patches they are fine but if you are considering more prolonged walking on pure ice then as Whitegold says i guess you'd need to look at crampons.

The boots I am referring to also have the advantage of being remarkably light - at least I think they are though admittedly I don't have many comparison points Very Happy. When heading off on a ski trip i wear them more or less constantly other than when in my ski boots (or bed!)

https://www.hi-tec.co.uk/products/mens-raven-mid-boots-black

I guess there are lots of other options out there, i just happened to have come across these and very happy with them (same pair, several years, still look pretty new)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ps, i have the same 'rainy day' problem with my New Balance shoes (327 model). Love the design of them and own several pairs but not reliable on wet days, gets slippery even on standard pavement
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a pair of Hoka Kahas and they're really stable. And an older pair of waterproof Terrex hikers that are pretty good too. Both are basically winterized trainers. Not a fan of actual 'walking boots' but that's just my preference.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find ordinary trainers lethal on slipper pavements and feet get wet and cold if there's more than an inch of snow. There are any number of heavy duty "approach" type things, often waterproof, and some quite cheap "warm wellies" with decent soles. But crampons are a real help. I am much more scared of falling on pavements than on the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon do some decent boots/trainers hybrid, comfy as trainers but grip & support of boots.

I swear by them
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Thew2002, Some good footwear available, these https://www.hanwag.com/eu/en-gb/our-story/materials-production/soles/michelin combine really well made boots along with, specifically, winter grip sole by Michelin.

Michelin soles available on other's footwear too.

Hanwag also available in different width and to accommodate odd foot shape such as bunion if anyone struggling with that aspect. I'd say they are exceptionally well made, highly durable and very comfortable if selected correctly.

One of life's real luxury items, excellent footwear to look after your feet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is the sort of thing I ponder about.
I like to wear my bright red Salomon Treking trainers at every possible occasion.
But if the snow is deep my feet will get wet.
But lugging the luggage to Luton and trying to fit all the kit in under 23Kg, sacrifices have to be made.
So its wet feet then....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear Merrell Moab2 Mid boots, waterproof, good grip, just wear them all week really. They get nice and clean as well after a week in the snow!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve had some Vans MTE shoes for a while which work pretty well but look like a fairly normal pair of skate shoes.

Just invested in some Tretorn insulated wellies, mainly for commuting on my bike but reckon they’ll be good in a ski resort too
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
This is the sort of thing I ponder about.
I like to wear my bright red Salomon Treking trainers at every possible occasion.
But if the snow is deep my feet will get wet.
But lugging the luggage to Luton and trying to fit all the kit in under 23Kg, sacrifices have to be made.
So its wet feet then....

Get the Goretex version Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vans MTE do the job for me.
snow report
flip flops
snow report
Dutch Carl wrote:
flip flops

Gotta save that weight allowance for the hip flask and cocktail shaker wink
snow conditions
Dutch Carl wrote:
flip flops
Haha,I thought of you as soon as I saw the thread title!
ski holidays
Look for walking shoes/boots with real rubber soles - I've found rubber to be the best on slippy surfaces.
snow conditions
I hate being slippy and cold, always wear sorel snow/ walking boots. I just wear them to travel in too.
snow conditions
You can try vivobarefoot goretex model. I have been wearing their shoes for quite some time now, and they are great. The grip is great and their shoes are sturdy too. https://www.legendfootwear.co.uk/collections/vivobarefoot/
snow report
oldschool72 wrote:
Look for walking shoes/boots with real rubber soles - I've found rubber to be the best on slippy surfaces.

Vibram (tm) is what you need. Yes, they're made of rubber, but are pretty much the defacto standard. Massive range of manufacturers and styles of shoes and boots, including the 'barefoot' type, but given the OP question about best for slippery conditions that is where I would start.
snow report
Thew2002 wrote:
My current trainers I fall over on rainy days walking around flat areas of the UK due to the lack of grip.

I'm curious. Do you literally fall over? Do you still go into the same trainers each time?

Thew2002 wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for trainers/shoes/boots for walking around icey areas of the alps?

Walking shoes are fine for me. If a lot of snowy ideally need high tops otherwise your ankles get wet.
ski holidays
Salomon Speedcross are my goto trainer for in resort, the GTX version are waterproof and work well in snow for me. I pair them with thick merino wool socks and have warm dry comfortable feet without having to pack heavy boots.
ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:
I wear Merrell Moab2 Mid boots, waterproof, good grip, just wear them all week really. They get nice and clean as well after a week in the snow!

Another vote in favour of the various types of Merrell MOAB GTX boots - had 4 or 5 pairs of the low rise for general use/summer hillwalking (all lasted well over a year/500+ miles of use) and the mid boots for more mid/severe conditions.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Buy sneaker crampons.

... but only if you are American, like Whitegold wink.

We don't have "sneakers" in the UK.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
I've a few pairs of Vans MTE boots and they've been great!
snow report
Quote:

We don't have "sneakers" in the UK.... rolling eyes

We do. They sneak around doing neferous things. I imagine sneaking around in crampons is virtually impossible.

I buy one pair of gortex approach trainers every 18 months or so and wear them for everthing from going to work to hiking, to via ferrata to walking around ski resorts and even to the gym. After about 18 months I send them away for rehealing. I estimate that my total annual footwear bill is in excess of £100 but IMHO comfortable waterproof shoes are worth the investment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
depends when /where and conditions

i have a pair of keen trail boots (low but taller than a shoe) which work for most stuff really well, but ski test week when there can be a lot of standing about at the start and end of the day whatever the weather i have some heavy halti winter boots
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy