Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

christmas week from salzburg for family

Poster: A snowHead
flying into salzburg on 26th december and looking some suggestions as to where to go. myself and wife are strong intermediate skiers and want to be able to get round as much an area as possible in the time kids are in ski school. two kids (almost 5 and almost 6) have never been on snow before and 16yr old has been but would need to go to a group class for a week.

we have been thinking of the skiwelt as it can be accessed from salzburg via train (id really like to avoid car hire after my last struggle out of the alps in snow especially now with kids in car).

i have found an apartment for the five of us outside soll for 600 euros for the week but i am open to suggestions of other areas to visit that could similarly be reasonably accessed via train.

im thinking that the snow will likely not be at the village level in skiwelt at this time of year but would imagine there will be home run pistes made from artificial snow usually?? also typically would there be snow from the midstations in skiwelt at this time of year.

open to suggestions,

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Though you can travel to Soll by train, it isnt directly served by a train station. So getting around other resorts wont be straight forward without your own transport
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Jafa, yeah i know that the train only takes you as far as either worgl or st johann but i only thought of soll as ive been there before and im familiar with it and the apartment was good value. do you have anywhere youd recommend instead?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Soll will be fine. There is very good snow making in the ski welte and there will me more than enough for you to enjoy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Söll is not ideal for train access, best option is probably train to Kufstein (one stop from Salzburg train station on Rail Jet) and taxi from there (there are buses too). Hopfgarten is nearer but more involved to get there via train from Salzburg. You might also want to check the location of the apartment, whilst the buses in Austria are pretty good, locations on the edge of the villages are not necessarily well served, it might be the sort of place where a car is really best. Places near Salzburg which would be good for train access and should be reasonably snow sure might be, Saalbach Hinterglemm (train to Maishofen, taxi from there) and Ski Amade (Flachau probably best train to Altenmarkt taxi from there, though other options too such as Altenmarkt & St Johann im Pongau). St Johann in Tirol / Kitzbühel are ideal for train but not quite so snow sure. For that matter SkiWelt is not the most snow sure either, though most years it should be OK even if only to mid stations.

If there is reasonable snow there is a great toboggan track at Söll, endless late afternoon (evening too as it is floodlit) entertainment for a family.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, I've never been able to get a train to altenmarkt to tie up with flights. Having to get from the airport to the station then get the train after much hanging around doesn't appeal. Might as well get the shuttle transfer from the airport at €52 per person return. Or hire a car. Flachau is just off the motorway in the valley, as you know. Ok we had snowmaggedon last year but in 7 years of going around Christmas time that was the only time there was snow on the roads. The OP really shouldn't worry about getting out of the alps in the car from Flachau
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zell am See with links to Saalbach thrown in?
Should keep you occupied
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have thought that Radstadt, schladming and the surrounding local ski areas were better destinations, and easily doable by train from Salzburg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, I agree about the car getting to Flachau, I was trying to answer the OP's question. The chances of having any issues with snow getting to and from Flachau is very small. The first place I went skiing was St Johann im Pongau, which is great for the train not really so convenient for skiing. When I first went (which was nearly 35 years ago!) there was a reasonable small skiing area in the town which I believe is not really true anymore you need to get the bus to Alpendorf.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, yes, St Jo is hardly ever open
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You might also want to check the location of the apartment

This is particularly good advice given that you will have two little kids, who probably won't be able to carry their own skis, to get to ski school. Accommodation which is within really easy reach of the ski school meeting place will make your holiday a LOT more enjoyable. But might cost a tad more than 600 a week at Christmas!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

You might also want to check the location of the apartment

This is particularly good advice given that you will have two little kids, who probably won't be able to carry their own skis, to get to ski school. Accommodation which is within really easy reach of the ski school meeting place will make your holiday a LOT more enjoyable. But might cost a tad more than 600 a week at Christmas!!

Flying in on 26th Dec makes it New Year week, normally quite a bit more than Christmas week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks for the feedback
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@conor256, Another vote for Ski Amade. If you get the train to Radstadt, the Postbus to Schladming or Flachau runs every hour and is free but there is also the free Salzburg Snow Shuttle bus which runs from Mirabellplatz in the city to Flachau and other resorts. http://www.visit-salzburg.net/travel/snow-shuttle.htm As to Snow Conditions, I've skied in Flachau/Wagrain for the last 5 years at Christmas time and have always been able to ski to the bottom, all be it on artificial snow the odd year. @pam w, is right about cost. We were asking a tad under 2000 Euros for the week 26 Dec - 02 Jan 20 for our 3 Bedroom Self-Catering apartments, within walking distance of the piste/lift for that week and they're all booked. If you've got a deal for 600 that doesn't involve a long bus ride or necessitate a car then you're on a winner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A number of resorts have rail access from Salzburg: Schladming, St.Johann in Pongau which are both on the Ski Amade liftpass are closest, this area being a great option, as others have said.

The Gastein Valley, Zell am See, St. Johann in Tirol, Kitzbuhel are further afield.

If you did decide to get a car, it would open up more options, let you get visit diffferent resorts and find cheaper accommodation a short drive away from the lifts. Though with young kids attending Ski School getting accommodation as close to possible to meeting point is going to be a great advantage in terms of convenience and improving their experience, even if it costs you more.

Hire cars in Austria are equipped with winter tyres, which cope really well with snowy conditions. I was in Austria in Jan 2019 during Snowmageddon and the little 1.2 Opel Crossland got us about without any drama.
snow conditions
@luigi, Ah Jan 2019, an epic month BC (Before COVID). I was there too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy