Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport - Val Thorens French side

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone got good directions they can share re route in and out of Geneva airport French side avoiding the Swiss motorways? we normally hire Swiss side and haven't a clue how to do it, but heard its not straightforward and my wife is now stressing. Is car hire easy enough to find at the airport? Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SHORTNAME, French car hire is very easy to find in the airport. When you leave baggage reclaim turn left and up the escalators then follow the signs to France and the car hire is straight ahead. The cars themselves are just downstairs. Without a Swiss vignette, the navigation is a bit complex, but not difficult. I recconmend using a GPS navigation system, but the desk will give you a map. For the return set the GPS system to Ferney - Voltaire, not the airport. Only after you have gone under the runway should you look for the airport entry. A friend recconmends pressing the button before leaving the airport on the GPS as a location to be remembered. He recconmends it for all car hire pick ups.

It may sound really odd but now I am used to it I find pickup and return easier from the French side.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SHORTNAME, Maps here http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-59/

When leaving airport don't follow the motorway signs for France leaving the French sector as they will take you to the Swiss motorway!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the info you need:

http://www.gva.ch/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We normally pick up on the Swiss side but hired from the French side last summer - & decided to not buy a vignette.

Followed sat nav to and from France and found it a bit of a pain as it added about 30 mins each way to the journey.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SHORTNAME, French side car hire is much easier in reality than theory so no real need to stress. I would be concerned about going to VT with a French side car though - they have summer tyres and no chains. Usually no option to add winter tyres either and snowchain "rental" is €200 for which you could buy two new sets in any supermarket. Swiss side cars have winter tyres as standard. Big risk at 2300m IMO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks all for speedy responses, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What checks do the Swiss do to stop you driving a French side car without a vignette & I assume if a previous hire has put one on a French hire car the. Rental company leave it on
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What checks do the Swiss do to stop you driving a French side car without a vignette

They do not check when leaving the country, but will turn you around if you try to enter without one.
Quote:

I assume if a previous hire has put one on a French hire car the. Rental company leave it on

Yes, quite often the car has a vignette already.
Quote:

French side car hire is much easier in reality than theory so no real need to stress. I would be concerned about going to VT with a French side car though - they have summer tyres and no chains. Usually no option to add winter tyres either and snowchain "rental" is €200 for which you could buy two new sets in any supermarket. Swiss side cars have winter tyres as standard. Big risk at 2300m IMO.

Never had a problem - and I have done it many times. Just buy a set of chains if you need them on the motorway service area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To return to the French side (assuming you have vignette and are on the motorway from Bardonnex pass the airport exit, go under the Palexpo building and take next exit to Ferney Voltaire. Follow signs to Ferney which will take you under the runway and back into France. Turning left into the French side immediately after the border post. If you reach roundabout you've gone too far.

If driving through Geneva without vignette crucial thing is to follow signs to Ferney as you get near, and ignore the airport signs.

Vignette recommended to make the whole thing much easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also key to understand that you shouldn't put any faith in signs saying 'France' as you get near the airport. There's a lot of France around Geneva and lots of it is not where you want to go!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

They do not check when leaving the country

Need to drive from French alps to GVA to pick up a buddy. I know you're likely to be forced to buy a vignette if you cross the Swiss border on a motorway heading INTO Switzerland.

Any thoughts on the level of risk crossing the border without a vignette on a motorway heading OUT? Are there stops, or is it like France into Luxembourg?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict,

But somewhat less painful than spending 30-odd quid on the privilege of driving twenty minutes (if that, combined, on the overall trip) on Swiss motorways. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

snowchain "rental" is €200

Eh? They're usually €30/40.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SHORTNAME wrote:
Hi, has anyone got good directions they can share re route in and out of Geneva airport French side avoiding the Swiss motorways? we normally hire Swiss side and haven't a clue how to do it, but heard its not straightforward and my wife is now stressing. Is car hire easy enough to find at the airport? Cheers

Suggest you look at google maps and use the little man to have a look at what it looks like. It's pretty easy. From Ferney through the Douane under the runway and turn right before you get to the swiss motorway. It's the little road that goes all the way along the front of the airport, past drop off etc. Along that until you get to the T junction past the airport. Take a left. route vernier. follow that and then an obvious right avenue de l'ain and across the rhone. follow signs for plan des Ouates, Perly and St Julien. It's hard to go wrong. (And 200 Euro for chains!!! More like 30 for a week)
snow conditions
Any one experienced a Swiss side car (i.e. Swiss registered) breaking down in France?
Urban myth has it that you will be charged international support/rescue charges penalties etc etc ?
snow report
Picture the scene... you are stopped at the side of the road, it's tipping down with snow, cold, dark and windy. You now have freezing, filthy hands (the plastic gloves lasted 10 seconds), your new jacket is stained with black wheel arch crud that will never come out and you still have the other snow chain to fit. At this point you would give someone 5 times the extra cost of hiring Swiss side, just to not be at this point.

Been there, done it, learned the lesson.

You are on holiday, make it as easy for yourself as you can. Rent Swiss side, with a Vignette and with snow tyres.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, I have got in in writing from various rental companies that I am covered by insurance, breakdown etc in France.
snow report
I will hire French side in summer if it's cheaper (it isn't always) but I agree that winter tyres are a great boon in winter. However, the difficulty of chains is often overplayed on SHs. Anyone putting them on for the first time in the dark by the side of the road is an idiot, frankly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy