Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah - best time of year to ski expert terrain?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, am planning a trip to Utah to ski some of their in-bounds steep terrain. I have two options for the trip - end of January into early Feb or the third and fourth weeks of February. Ideally would go in the earlier slot but am concerned that some of the terrain we want to ski may not be open by that point in the season. Has anyone skied Utah at the beginning of Feb and can you advise on whether (for example) the Baldy Chutes at Snowbird/Alta are likely to be open in late Jan/early Feb? Or are we much better going a few weeks later?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually would expect to be open by late Jan. They've had a kinda slow start to the winter though so leaving later might ensure a better base. Bear in mind though that by late Feb the sun can start having an impact on non N facing aspects if it is unaffected blower you are after.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look at the information on this site.

http://bestsnow.net/

This guy has been analysing snow fall in the US for years and has detailed resort reviews he agrees that they are having a late start to the season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had 6 weeks mainly in Utah back in 2000, was out all of Feb, I was led to believe Jan can be uncomfortably cold at times to be comfortable so held off going too early.
I skied Snowbird, Alta, Brighton and Solitude in Utah basing myelf in SLC but also got a lift up to jackson Hole for about 10 days with 1 day over at Grand Targhee. I'd had the season in Chamonix the year before so was only looking for off piste powder and tree skiing which I love.

TBH I liked Jackson Hole best for terrain but I did get fabulous powder in all which was the reaosn for trying Utah over Colorado.

Grand Targhee only had about 3 lifts back then but its the deepest snow I've skied, wish I could've had longer there. wink

I heard Park City was known as Park Shitty (too flat) so avoid that! Solitude had better little steeps and chutes than Brighton if I recall correctly.

Understand they've had good snowfall already over there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They have just had a couple of feet last night, but whether that will stay or not, who knows.

We have always gone out there, Mid- late Feb for 18 days. Generally seemed to have good cover. Have skied mostly anywhere when we were there. Last year it was patchy due to poor snow. Previous years we have had exceelent conditions.

As Dave of the Marmottes, says it can start to warm up then, and unless you are getting regular snowfalls you can get spring conditions. However everyone there says March tends to be the snowiest month, but the powder doesn't last long due to warmer conditions.

All you can do is take your chances really.

Solitude is great on clear days and fresh snow, Brighton is good when it socks in, and is so easy to get into the side country - theres so much good terrain just outside the ropes.

marmotman, Targhee gets better and quality snow and more of it that JH, but hasn't got the terrain. It can also get whiteouts - its not called Grand Foghee for nothing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Feb is best.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Sounds like the first two weeks in Feb have some risk but should be reasonably safe. Appreciate the pointers to Solitude etc. We will likely stay in Salt Lake so looking forward to touring around a bit more extensively than have been able to in the past.

Thanks again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@schauspiele,

All things being "equal", go early, not later. However................. It is ALWAYS dependent upon conditions and the central west has been held back here but not all of there so far this year via warm weather and low snowfall. Up in Wyoming things are quite good, here in Colorado at about 50% of where they should be, Utah is at about 60%.............. The west coast (which is the gateway for Utah) is, for this time of year doing fairly well. I really hope that the entire west coast gets pounded and then some. If no high parks itself off the Calif. coast (a snow killer) they will have a good season and storms weave and dodge their way east across into Utah...........

I've seen big winters come in February and March, not just mid to late December on to January. What can I say?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy