Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The London Ski Show (Battersea, Nov 2016)

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if there's already a thread on this (in which case do move/merge this one).
If there isn't, I'd be v keen to hear people's views.
Obviously, a different venue this year and quite a bit more expensive, I think.
I've heard they're trying to give it more of a festival vibe with lots of live music/comedy etc.
The music seems very DJ/dance orientated - not sure how much of a draw that will be to your average punter.
Should make an interesting change from the usual Earl's Court/Olympia set up...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
. ..as in less well attended by anyone using tube/rail.

To be honest have a bit of free time on Saturday and might make the hike but there don't seem to be many free tix knocking around this year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-11-15 23:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am assuming this new show is outside or am I wrong is it under cover ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the sound of the new location. However from a family perspective it is a pity they moved it from half term.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There'd this thread, some interesting takes on the subject

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119826&highlight=
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to the show for years and its been on the decline for quite some time so I think this is a way of trying to revitalise it. However the price is a lot more and despite living virtually on top of Battersea Park I will not be going. The format has shifted more to festival and that doesn't appeal as I am what you might call an 'average punter'. I used to go to the Freeze Festival for the ski jump but alas that became more about music than skiing so I stopped going. I am sure that those who like this sort of thing will make it work and frankly the format needed to change given the lacklustre last few years but its not for me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am the same loved going every year it was a highlight to check the new equipment in one place some members here kindly got me tickets in recent years .

Snow and rock leaving seemed a bad sign and the noise from the main events was so the sellers were losing their voice shouting talking to you.

Still it didn't matter it was always a fun way to start the season even as the emphasis on equipment stock became less .

At £27 to shop equipment I,m out for the first time in over a decade unless freebie tickets pop up.

Any tickets going from snowheads I will gladly take them on any day including today a freeby is where Im at with the show now things have changed .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2 for 1 ticket with LONDON241 was working the other day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm representing Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido at the show.

Heading there soon.

Will report back with my thoughts.

Initial feelings:

Expensive for more than 1 person, but if you're looking to buy something then you should recoup the entrance fee.

Pain in the ar** to get to. I'm in Brixton and the easiest and quickest way by public transport is back to Victoria and then to Battersea Park.

The 15 min walk from Victoria touted on the show web site smacks of pure tour operator speak - hotel is 15 min walk to lifts Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also posted this on the other thread

-----

Just heading back from the Finnish Ski Expo in Helsinki.

Was there representing Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido as part of a larger Japanese team promoting winter holidays in Japan.

There were Swedish and Georgian stands at the show and whilst there is a plethora of information online I learned far more about skiing in both countries by speaking with 'actual human beings' Wink

With the number of 'where shall I go next / tell me about x resort' threads on Snowheads the opportunity to meet and speak with representatives from around the skiing world more than justifies the entrance fee IMHO.

I'll be representing Kiroro at the London show and will be happy to share any and all the information I have about skiing on Hokkaido (I've skied 20 resorts and backcountry areas on the island).

And if you find Hokkaido isn't for you there'll be people from Nagano, Niigata and Tohoku prefectures there too.

And then there are the equipment guys & gals too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First time for years I'm not going. Would normally have taken the kids but £50 for a family ticket, plus travel agg has put the mockers on it for me. Shame.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:

Pain in the ar** to get to. I'm in Brixton and the easiest and quickest way by public transport is back to Victoria and then to Battersea Park.

The 15 min walk from Victoria touted on the show web site smacks of pure tour operator speak - hotel is 15 min walk to lifts Wink

Get a bus up to Clapham Common and then the 137 goes past the front door https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/137
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
whats a bus ?? Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its like a gondala on a black piste without the skis .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iskar wrote:
whats a bus ?? Twisted Evil

Then there are the black buses with orange lights on the front as well , but they cost more.

But coming from Brixton, bus beats tube in this case. Like he says , listen to the locals ... Very Happy
snow report
I think the point is that having a public event that isn't easily accessible by public transport without coughing for a taxi or esoteric knowledge of local bus routes is kinda shooting themselves in the foot re casual attendance.
latest report
Also the park shuts at 5pm on sat sun so is limited .
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think the point is that having a public event that isn't easily accessible by public transport without coughing for a taxi or esoteric knowledge of local bus routes is kinda shooting themselves in the foot re casual attendance.

Surely it is easy to access from Battersea Park station, one stop up the line from Britain's busiest railway station, Clapham Junction?
snow conditions
@snowymum, indeed Very Happy
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Surely it is easy to access from Battersea Park station, one stop up the line from Britain's busiest railway station, Clapham Junction?

Mmm, good point.
Battersea Park is just 4 mins from both Clapham Junction and Victoria - two of London's biggest stations.
Hope they made that clear!
snow conditions
Did anyone go to the London show today ?
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Get a bus up to Clapham Common and then the 137 goes past the front door https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/137

Many thanks.

How far is the walk from the bus stop to the entrance of the show do you think please?
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
mishmash wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Many thanks.

How far is the walk from the bus stop to the entrance of the show do you think please?

There's a bus stop just shy of the bridge by the main car entrance so, depending on where in the park the tents are, will only be a five minute walk.
snow report
Tirol 164 wrote:
Did anyone go to the London show today ?

Yes.

A very inauspicious start IMHO.

I took the national rail southern line train from Victoria to Battersea Park because it was pissing down.

1 stop. Easy.

Then it was 15 mins walk from the station to and through the park to the venue.

The park looked excellent and is a great setting. Less so in the rain.

Getting in to the event was quick and easy.

You pass the outside vendors, Mt Battersea (the jump & rail area), the snowbombing stage with DJs and a few bars bfefore heading into the main hall.

On entrance there's a mezzanine floor with the VIP lounge and Lodge dining.

Pricey for what it is, but it appears the London market (or their companies) are happy to pay. In fairness the drinks prices were reasonable.

Main hall has representation from the major & minor players in the UK ski market

Crystal
Inghams
Neilsen - who have a cool virtual reality ski machine
Ski Total
Ski Miquel

Norway
Tirol
France
US
Canada
Georgia
Italy
Japan

Back of the hall has equipment, clothing, trinkets.

To the side and outside is the street food and Comedy Tent.

Nothing extraordinary or different.

Georgia is an up and coming destination and are definitely worth talking with.

So too our Japan stand. Lots of info you won't get on the web.

The Waitrose / Telegraph Wine Tasting is tye deal of the day. £5 for 6 glasses of great wine and excellent presentation by the wine buyer.

Cool, crisp, sunny November day and it has the makings of a great new home for the show.

Pissing down and cold with no cover for the outside events and dining and the person who signed off on the design needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Amateur and moronic.

If you didn't go yesterday then well done.

The weather is set to be better the rest of the show, but definitely bring waterproof and umbrella.

Biggest disappontment yesterday if I had been a customer was the way country areas and some tour operators roped off their stands for significant periods of time to entertain the UK press, VIPs and tour operator buyers.

In previous years the show would only open to this group between 10-12 and then public admittance would begin.

They've decided to do away with that and ply the journos et al with wine & nibbles on a rolling schedule from stand to stand from 12ish through to 4ish.

I've booked a holiday to Serfaus -Fiss - Ladis in March, but couldn't get anywhere near the Austrian stand to ask questions.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the same situation.

If you do the wine tasting, get your free top from Uniglo, pick up free Sk & Board and Snow magazines, talk with countries / operators off the beaten path then I think the show still has merit.

If you're looking to kit yourself out for the winter forget it. Much cheaper and easier online.

If you do make it please drop by the Hokkaido Japan stand and say hi.
snow report
ADESki wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
mishmash wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Many thanks.

There's a bus stop just shy of the bridge by the main car entrance so, depending on where in the park the tents are, will only be a five minute walk.

Thanks. Looks like a six of one, half a dozen of another scenario
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:

Biggest disappontment yesterday if I had been a customer was the way country areas and some tour operators roped off their stands for significant periods of time to entertain the UK press, VIPs and tour operator buyers.

...couldn't get anywhere near the Austrian stand to ask questions.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the same situation.

^^This

Also a total lack of seating if you weren't in the VIP area and no bins. And if anyone is going over the rest of the show there's no cashpoint so stock up before you go.

That said, it was nice enough - the loos are a lot nicer than Earls Court and the displays on Mount Battersea were pretty impressive. I didn't get to speak to as many of the tour operators as I'd hoped as they were roped off for the press shindigs and then they all packed up long before the show ended so didn't get what I'd hoped for from the show. Was there on a freebie so it's not a disaster, but I was a little disappointed. I suspect that the new venue gave some issues but it will improve over coming years.
latest report
Does anyone know if you can buy tickets on the day? Supposedly getting a pass but the chance of it coming through is probably 50/50, ha. It is a pain to get to though, just going to end up walking.
snow conditions
Does anyone else remember when there was a Drambuie stand? Always loved that. We are not going this year, only go every few years and I don't think I would be lucky enough to win another set of winter tyres again, after last year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pamski, i also used to like the Drambuie stand, from memory was always near the main entrance, used to walk around there several times getting free samples, so memory was always hazy by the end of the visit!!!!
not sure i could be bothered to traipse to Battersea, used to enjoy it at olympia
ski holidays
@terrygasson, 😊😊
latest report
Hmm reviews so far aren't particularly inspiring - wonder how (paying)visitor numbers are stacking up
latest report
Dunny#1 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can buy tickets on the day? Supposedly getting a pass but the chance of it coming through is probably 50/50, ha. It is a pain to get to though, just going to end up walking.

Yes they're selling tickets on the gate.
snow report
I was there yesterday (working) and from the NW it took 4 trains/tubes and a taxi to get there, then another taxi and 3 tubes to get back to Covent Garden where I was staying the night; a bit of a PITA. As I was working, I didn't see much beyond the main indoor floor but there was a good vibe, lots of music, and a good range of stands including several U.S. resorts; speaking to the operators on those, they all seemed to think it worth the hefty financial cost of coming over here.
snow report
@Montana,
Quote:

another taxi and 3 tubes to get back to Covent Garden
One train to Waterloo and bus or walk from there would have done it.
ski holidays
I went last night. it was ok - not anything more.
Id not been to the previous shows.
Pleased ive had a look. Prob wouldnt bother again.
I quite liked the venue but its far from central
Overall
OK!
latest report
I probably won't bother based on feedback. A couple of years ago they were giving out a free day pass for Verbier (and other resorts) which made it well worth attending if likely to go to those resorts.
snow report
A wet, windy, miserable day in London today......does make you question the wisdom of having an outdoor venue, although given the shocking and dangerous weather we sometimes ski in I suppose we should just put up with it. Cool
latest report
Duplicated from the other thread

Went to the show yesterday and had a very good day.
I did get 2 free tickets from SCGB (many thanks to them ) which obviously made a big difference.
Very nice to meet @Mike Pow, on the Japan stand and thanks for the fan met some other snowHead Gained 2 free hours skiing at Hemel Very Happy and purchased what I think/hope with be a lovely Christmas holiday at a good price.
We got some good ideas for a January trip but will wait for a late deal with them. The food was better but agree they need more areas to sit down, the bar and slope area was good. I didn't think there was as much gear as there normally was for sale. We discovered we could get a direct train from home to Clapham Junction and when we left we got the bus to Oxford Street and had a look at the Christmas light's Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 7-11-15 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Got a freebie so went yesterday afternoon. I thought it was crap and I'm super glad I didn't shell out £25. The outdoor stand guys looked miserable in the rain, the band was playing to an audience of one (not an exaggeration) and the big air show was pathetic. The busiest area of the whole show was the bar by the big air slope and they served a nice drop of Paulaner. Inside was kind of cosy but noticeable lack of visitors and not a very big show. I drove down Battersea Park Rd this morning and there were literally no people heading for the show. Mind you it was lashing down and windy. Lack of signage and almost no advertising might have something to do with that. I think the Telegraph have successfully killed what used to be the world's biggest ski show.
latest report
I think the date was typed in wrong on this thread originally... Anyway, we fancy a day out over half term and this looks ideal. I know there are often free tickets or discount codes knocking about, anyone know of any available?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy